Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring gurus chime in obd2a, obd2, aem questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring gurus chime in obd2a, obd2, aem questions.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible as I've been searching, calling, emailing, people all week and still need help. A while back I bought a wrecked 00 si, built 2.0 gsr turbo motor w/aem ems on stock civic obd2b harness. After a while I bought a 99 integra ls to swap the motor/tranny/turbo/fuel/ aem setup into.

First things first, the 99 LS had an obd1 ls motor swapped in w/obd1 ls engine harness from the shock tower forward. It was running an obd2a to obd1 jumper harness and a p75. I pulled the ecu/jumper, motor, and ewh out. I picked up an EWH yesterday that was supposed to be obd2a gsr. It does have vtec wired already, and the alternator and distributor, etc, all match up to the built motor from the obd2 si. I came to a problem when I went to match the plugs at the shock tower, my integra has 3 plugs and the ewh has 4 plugs. The extra plug is a 3 wire plug with a red/blue, and 2 other wires I can't remember for sure. I am planning to make a diagram later of all the wire colors on each side of the shock tower connections.

Here is a pic of my 3 plugs at the shock tower on the cabin side of my integra harness

These are the 4 plugs on my EWH, the one black loomed all the way down is the extra

same 4 plugs as last pic

Extra connector left over on the back of the block near the oil filter and alternator

The AEM box from the si is a 1010 box, here are the plugs that came outta it in the 00 si

Here are the plugs from the integra cabin harness @ the ecu

If I can get the wires in the ewh to match the cabin harness at the plug, I was going to run an obd2a to obd2b jumper. I'm not exactly sure what all I need to do. I did check the vtec wires at the ecu plugs and they are empty, then I followed the vtec wires to the shock tower plugs, then on the cabin side of the shock tower plugs there are different colored wires in the spots for the 2 vtec wires instead of being empty (in the stock harness). SO if the vtec spots in the plugs A and C @ the ecu connection on the ls are empty and they aren't empty at the plugs on the shock tower, something has to be wrong. As I said before I'm going to get a diagram and exact breakdown wire for wire of what I have later, if anyone knows anything from the pics it'd be greatly appreciated.

**also at the plugs at the shock tower the plug that I assume has the dizzy wires (like 9 wires on the cabin side, 10 wires on ewh side), has an empty spot on one of the ports on the cabin side, but not on the dizzy side. So it has 9 on cabin side, 10 on ewh side.

The small plug w/4 wires matches colors on both the EWH side and the cabin side.

The larger plug w/14 wires or whatever, probably half or more match colors but 6 or so do not.

The fourth plug on the ewh as I said w/3 wires has no where to plug into at the shock tower.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring gurus chime in obd2a, obd2, aem questions.

bro i thought i answered all ur questions. for one...not all of the colors are going to match up regardless. the extra plug...can u get a better pic of it. the extra plug on the back where the oil filter is seems to be for knock sensor which gsr has but ls/si doesn't have. ur ems is obd2b, ur teg cabin harness is obd2a. u need a jumper from obd2a-obd2b...got it? as far as missing the extra pin on the dizzy, don't worry about it. obd2 uses some stuff that obd1 doesn't, etc. if you're still confused shoot me a pm, but these are the answers i promise you. i've done this plenty of times before.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll get better pics tomorrow, of the small plug that has no home and of where I thought should have been empty on the cabin side for the vtec harness. I'll shoot you a pm after I put up the pics. I have been trying to find an obd2a to b jumper but haven't had any luck yet. I tried to contact rywire a couple of different ways to get an eta on it if I ordered it online and no luck at all.

Also the extra plug that looks like a knock, I think I have the knock sensor hooked up (it's a single blue/red wire. I'll get pics of it as well. Thanks
Old 05-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here's ur jumper harness. http://www.xenocron.com/obd2a-to-obd...ess-p-171.html
Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man, I've been looking over a few different websites that have it but I'm trying to get ahold of someone that can have it here for me next week, I left a message w/Xenocron and Rywire, I'm gonna try again monday morning but i'll probalby just go ahead and buy at the link you sent me as long as it's ready to ship.

Here is another pic of the extra plug near the alternator that you said may be knock. There are 2 plugs, I had the green pug plugged into knock, but maybe I was wrong? The green plug has a single red/blue wire, while the other plug has a red/blue, and a black wire (both will plug into knock)

Here is the 3 wire plug thats extra on the ewh side of the shock tower plug. 2 of the 3 wires match up to the crank sensor (blue/red, white/red), which I'm pretty sure was unhooked on the SI (does AEM look for it?). The other wire is a yellow/red wire.

another pic of the 3 wire plug

This pic is what I hope is the IAT plug, and the black plug I'm not sure? Perhaps it was to an evap cannister?

This plug splits out right with the two in the previous pics, I'm hoping it's IACV

if you see any errors that jump right out let me know, I'm planning on soldering my injector clips up and dropping in the motor later tonight, I just want to make sure I have everything and hopefully when I get my jumper in later this week I can get it started.

I'm still kinda worried about the empty spot on the medium sized shock tower plug on the cabin side, but if it's for the dizzy it could be rpm signal or something, I just don't see why one side would have a wire and one side woudn't if both harnesses are obd2a?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get urself a haynes manual...it has wire diagrams in it and u can look up every color for everything u think it is. i'd look it up but i honestly don't have the time to do it.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have any input? I have all of the extra plugs around the motor figured out I just don't know why the EWH has an extra 3 wire plug that the cabin side doesnt hanve. I'm gonna try to get ahold of someone at AEM on monday and see what's up on what all I need as far as crank sensor, iab, etc.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm thinking that plug has to do with the butterflies that gsr has. b16/ls doesn't have butterflies nor knock sensor. get a cheap haynes book and it'll show u everything. you'll use it all the time, i know i do.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got a Haynes yesterday but i'm not having any luck finding anything about that extra plug. The Haynes manual says 98+ integra on the ecu wiring, however 00+ should be obd2, so the Haynes doesn't even differentiates between the two in the integra section.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My conversion harness from Xenocron will be here on Wednesday and from what I can tell from the AEM 1010 pinout the pins for CKF and IAB and EVAP are all available / not used. If that's the case I'm gonna pull all the evap **** out and the wiring, and I won't have to worry about the extra 3 wire plug I have at the shock tower.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowteg550
My conversion harness from Xenocron will be here on Wednesday and from what I can tell from the AEM 1010 pinout the pins for CKF and IAB and EVAP are all available / not used. If that's the case I'm gonna pull all the evap **** out and the wiring, and I won't have to worry about the extra 3 wire plug I have at the shock tower.
sounds good. with most engine management you're able to remove that stuff. lemme kno how it goes.