Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine

I finally got around to getting another compression tester today(first one of the fittings blew off my old one ), and I proceeded to do a compression test on the B18B I put in last week. It's been running alright since I put it in, but I haven't really beat on it yet sinc eI'm still getting used to my clutch. Anyway, I went to pull the plugs(same ones that came with the engine) and the #2 plug was covered in oil. The tip and electrode were dry, but the threads were pretty soaked. So I proceeded with the compression test, and I got just over 200 across the board. That surprised me, since I was expecting it to be low on #2. So I suppose my question is: how could oil be getting on my #2 plug? I pulled the plugs before I put the engine in so I could turn the crank, and I don't remember seeing any oil on any of them. Yesterday, I pulled the valve cover off for the first time, just to check things out under there, and today while I was doing the comp test, I did notice some oil around the plug tube seal on #2. Could that be the source of the oil? After the comp test, I put the plug back in and started the car for a minute or two and let it idle. Then I pulled the plugs again, and the #2 plug had oil on its threads again. It doesn't seem like that much oil could seep thru the plug tube seal in the minute or so that the engine was running, but I guess it's possible. I also pulled PCV/breather thingy off the back of the valvecover while the engine was running, and there seemed to be a lot of pressure inside the valve cover. Same thing with the dipstick. Is it normal for B18B's to have a lot of crankcase pressure? Sorry for the long post, any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine (inspyral)

Sounds like the plug seal is probably worn or gone on the valve cover. This blocks oil from the motor going into where the spark plugs insert into.

Do you have the crankcase box installed on the back of the motor and your PCV lines all good?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking of putting some Permatex around the plug tube seals and see if that helps.

Now that you mention it, I don't think my block has that charcoal breather canister on the back. Looks like the PCV valve is just that plug on the back of the valvecover that goes tot he intake manifold.

My PCV valve is #7 in this pic:

I guess it's #8 for blocks with the breather canister. Did some B18B's come with this canister, while others(like mine) did not? Mine is a 98.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (inspyral)

Well the crankcase pressure from box #1 is what eliminates that. It seems like this is what you need. #7 and #8 are PCV valves. You can try installing a catch can maybe to eliminate, other than that, I'd recommend using the crank case box #1.

Other wise, with a non proper PCV system, I've seen oil pan gaskets blown off and you have yourself a mess.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing is, my engine is pretty much bone-stock with the exception of a flywheel and clutch. I got it from IAS, didn't touch a thing on it(except aforementioned clutch/flywheel) before I dropped it in. It doesn't look like it had a charcoal canister from the factory. If I remember correctly, there looks like there's a place for a canister to plug in, but it's blocked off. So, if I wanted to run a charcoal canister, it looks like I would have to drill that spot out or something.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (inspyral)

Hmm. Well PCV is off the hook in your computer. I would highly recommend installing one or a catch can. Maybe even the ENDYN catch can which eliminated PCV pressure.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I just pput some Permatex on the mating sirface between the plug tubes and the seals, so hopefully that'll alleviate the oily plug thing. I'll have to look into the PCV/catch can thing. Thanks for your help.