Notices

Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine

I finally got around to getting another compression tester today(first one of the fittings blew off my old one ), and I proceeded to do a compression test on the B18B I put in last week. It's been running alright since I put it in, but I haven't really beat on it yet sinc eI'm still getting used to my clutch. Anyway, I went to pull the plugs(same ones that came with the engine) and the #2 plug was covered in oil. The tip and electrode were dry, but the threads were pretty soaked. So I proceeded with the compression test, and I got just over 200 across the board. That surprised me, since I was expecting it to be low on #2. So I suppose my question is: how could oil be getting on my #2 plug? I pulled the plugs before I put the engine in so I could turn the crank, and I don't remember seeing any oil on any of them. Yesterday, I pulled the valve cover off for the first time, just to check things out under there, and today while I was doing the comp test, I did notice some oil around the plug tube seal on #2. Could that be the source of the oil? After the comp test, I put the plug back in and started the car for a minute or two and let it idle. Then I pulled the plugs again, and the #2 plug had oil on its threads again. It doesn't seem like that much oil could seep thru the plug tube seal in the minute or so that the engine was running, but I guess it's possible. I also pulled PCV/breather thingy off the back of the valvecover while the engine was running, and there seemed to be a lot of pressure inside the valve cover. Same thing with the dipstick. Is it normal for B18B's to have a lot of crankcase pressure? Sorry for the long post, any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine (inspyral)

do a leakdown test!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much does a leakdown tester cost? I don't have an air compressor. Do I need one to do a leakdown test?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspyral)

its the rubber grommets on the valve cover, see it all the time, try replacing it, or maybe hondabond it.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the rubber grommets on the valve cover, see it all the time, try replacing it, or maybe hondabond it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmm, I was thinking of throwing some Permatex on there...
It's worth a shot, thx.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the rubber grommets on the valve cover, see it all the time, try replacing it, or maybe hondabond it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a good chance it might be that
Old 08-28-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Oil on #2 Plug, Compression is Fine (inspyral)

I had the same problem. I found out that the rubber grommet for the plug tube was a little hard. After changing a new one in, I don't have the problem any more.