Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mini-me D16Y8 / Y7 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini-me D16Y8 / Y7 questions

whats good HT having problems with my civic. .
i own a 95' accord - runs and drives like a BEAST but anyway i jus bought a 97 civic ex 5-speed. got it for prety cheap but i think i got burnt on it. . anyways, it has D16Y8 head with D16Y7 block. i bought it about 6 weeks ago and been having nothing but problems with it. put about 400 into it alrdy between: full tune up, (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, v.c. gasket, pcv valve, oil + filter, fluids, fuel filter, thermostat + gasket, new coolant, new hoses, clamps, rebuilt distributer becuz the one in there was cracked. . ect. .) car came with new slotted rotors, pads, and brake shoes. also new tires + 5-star gold rims. anyways, im pretty sure the head gasket is blown which is so so unfortunate ;(. . but anyway, do you think i should replace the gasket or turn around and try to re-sell the car? after puttin in a new gasket will the car be "okay" in the future? its rly a nice ride, starts right up and runs good. overheats after it gets fully warmed up, exhaust it smoking white smoke and dripping water. . and when i looked at the bottom of the oil cap the other day it had white milky stuff in it. . so yeah. any suggestions? i can have the gasket fixed for fairly cheap from a friend but is the car even gona be worth it in the future?

oh and i herd from a guy at the auto parts store id have to drill a oil line into the head becuz its a mini-me? has anyone ever done this?

Last edited by ArtyTheKid; 12-06-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Question?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: mini-me D16Y8 / Y7 questions

Originally Posted by ArtyTheKid
oh and i herd from a guy at the auto parts store id have to drill a oil line into the head becuz its a mini-me? has anyone ever done this?
No, he's thinking its the same as LSVTEC/B20VTEC which require that. The mini me does not. Replace the head gasket if you think its bad, have the head checked and you should be good. Are you losing coolant though?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be honest im not sure if im loosing coolant or not. . car has been sitting in my garage for about 6 weeks now, has no plates so i can only rly drive it around the block. when i first got it flushed out the old coolant, put new thermo. + gasket on and new rad. cap. along with new coolant obviously. i noticed after about 15 - 20 mins of the car idling the rad. cap starts to steam. im not 100% sure i have a head gasket problem but i sure do have all the familiar symptoms of one. (overheating with nothing leaking, rad. coolant bubbleing, white smoke from tail-pipe with water droplets dripping down, white sutff in the oil cap.) w/e though i think im gona take off the head either way theres a few things i wana check out.

thanks for the info though. makes me feel alot better not having to drill a oil line into the head. ;-)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you're gonna have to pull the head to check anyway, you're most likely gonna need to have the head decked to get it straight again. depending on how bad it was the block might need to be decked also.