Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting OBD1 JDM GSR to OBD2...Reveiw my checklist please

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting OBD1 JDM GSR to OBD2...Reveiw my checklist please

Alright so after searching and reading my *** off I came to the following conclusion.

I'm going to run OBD2 in the car (ek) with the ODBI gsr motor...Is this everything I need to do it ?

I'm getting an OBD2 Distributor
96+ VTEC Oil Pump with the Crank sensor built in
Is there a diff in the alternator from OBD1->OBD2 (I've seen mixed info)

The fuel injectors are getting replaced with aftermarket units so not worrying about them.

I feel like I'm missing something.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Converting OBD1 JDM GSR to OBD2...Reveiw my checklist please (Prod)

You will need the obd2 alternator and possibly the evap purge valve from an obd2 gsr.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Converting OBD1 JDM GSR to OBD2...Reveiw my checklist please (Jackson)

Thanks man...wasn't sure on the alternator

btw - Thrice rocks
Old 11-14-2002, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright so after searching and reading my *** off I came to the following conclusion.

I'm going to run OBD2 in the car (ek) with the ODBI gsr motor...Is this everything I need to do it ?

I'm getting an OBD2 Distributor
96+ VTEC Oil Pump with the Crank sensor built in
Is there a diff in the alternator from OBD1->OBD2 (I've seen mixed info)

The fuel injectors are getting replaced with aftermarket units so not worrying about them.

I feel like I'm missing something.
you could save yourself some time & $$$ buy just going OBD1 in your Ek. Simply buying a 96-98-->OBD1 ECU jumper harness and an OBD1 vtec.

But you'll still need an OBD2 distributor, injectors, 2n 02, and 96+ B-series alternator. Yes, you'll need a 96+ B-series alternator...they use a smaller square green plug...previous models use a big round green plug.

I highly suggest going OBD1 as far as the ECU goes.....you wont have to spend $$ on an OBD2/bseries oil pump at all, nor worry about a 2nd 02 sensor.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Converting OBD1 JDM GSR to OBD2...Reveiw my checklist please (Katman)

Katman, I considered converting to OBDI. As a matter of fact I'm still open to that. I am going to be running the AEM EMS so I guess it wouldn't matter I ran OBD1 or 2...I'd just have to buy the proper AEM. That's basically what's fueling my whole decision...tough one
Old 11-14-2002, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Katman, I considered converting to OBDI. As a matter of fact I'm still open to that. I am going to be running the AEM EMS so I guess it wouldn't matter I ran OBD1 or 2...I'd just have to buy the proper AEM. That's basically what's fueling my whole decision...tough one
heh, well you could go OBD1 EMS! haha..
Old 11-14-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Converting OBD1 JDM GSR to OBD2...Reveiw my checklist please (Katman)

Yeh, I'm just worried about getting into some super complicated mess with the EMS not being able to control a certain subsystem due to a different sensor etc etc

If I went OBD1 motor I'd have to buy the ODB1 EMS and a conversion harness so I can plug in the EK Harness to the OBD1 EMS. The lesser of two evils perhaps
Old 11-14-2002, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeh, I'm just worried about getting into some super complicated mess with the EMS not being able to control a certain subsystem due to a different sensor etc etc

If I went OBD1 motor I'd have to buy the ODB1 EMS and a conversion harness so I can plug in the EK Harness to the OBD1 EMS. The lesser of two evils perhaps

hmm I duno about that..
I'd suspect if you bought an OBD1 ECU jumper and used an OBD1 EMS, it should work without problem. OBD2 and OBD1 engines are almost 95% exactly the same....only difference is that OBD2 engines have a couple extra bullshit sensors.... (CKP, 2nd 02,) ...that's it...
Old 11-14-2002, 11:52 AM

hmm I duno about that..
I'd suspect if you bought an OBD1 ECU jumper and used an OBD1 EMS, it should work without problem. OBD2 and OBD1 engines are almost 95% exactly the same....only difference is that OBD2 engines have a couple extra bullshit sensors.... (CKP, 2nd 02,) ...that's it...
Hey, after thinking about it a bit. I'm going to take your advice, I'll just get the OBD2-OBD1 jumper and run an ODB1 ECU and retain all of the OBD1 Component on the motor I've got.

If I do that do I still need to get all of the below ? No right ?

"But you'll still need an OBD2 distributor, injectors, 2n 02, and 96+ B-series alternator. Yes, you'll need a 96+ B-series alternator..."
Old 11-14-2002, 12:11 PM

Deffinatly go OBD-I, you can buy the harness conversion for around $200 from kenji, well worth the $200, and you'll have less of a headache when you start to modify more heavily

Chris
Old 11-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I do that do I still need to get all of the below ? No right ?

"But you'll still need an OBD2 distributor, injectors, 2n 02, and 96+ B-series alternator. Yes, you'll need a 96+ B-series alternator..."
cool.
well, you still need to get those parts above I mentioned, except a 2nd 02 sensor. What you want to do is please your engine harness...you're still going to use an OBD2 engine harness.... I mean, you have to since you own an OBD2 equipped car. The only thing the conversion harness will do is change the ecu you will be using..that's it.

You'll have to keep these things all 96+ (OBD2) B-series:
- distributor (for sure)
- injectors (fo sheezy)
- alternator (fo sheezo)

...once you run all those, your engine harness will like you a lot more as will the engine.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:32 PM

Okay cool, thanks for your help
Old 11-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

word up.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need a harness, I have them in stock. Best prices, All brand new OEM pieces. Warrantied. FedExed insured shipping with a candy treat for yo kiddies.
See sig. Do a search for me or email me for further Q's

Turbo_EK @yahoo.com