Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B20b NON-vtec Smog Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B20b NON-vtec Smog Question

Is this shiet gonna pass smog, jus got my registration and thank god i don't need to get it smog this year . but instead of laggin i thought i should get the car smog readdy b4 next year. it's a STOCK b20b non-vtec w/ b18b im, tb, injectors, etc. I have dc 4-2-1 headers and a crap intake but still have the stock headers and airbox if i NEED them. still have my cat on w/ stock piping and a bolt on exhaust. also it's a running stock ls ecu. the only different is the oil can crap (that lil black box in back of a b18b block) that an ls has that a b20 doesn't have, is that gonna make a different? should i pass the way things are? i'm getting mild cams soon, is that gonna make a differance smog wise???

btw, i believe the compression on the b20 is lower than the ls motor i had, wouldn't that make the car run cleaner? aka easier to pass smog? also would using an apexi afc to lean out the fuel help?
Old 09-01-2002, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B20b NON-vtec Smog Question (MugenGTR)

You live semi-close to me, anyways. You will pass with no problems. Just put on the stock header and stock intake to pass visual. I got my B20-vtec smogged at a local gas station and the guy let the visual stuff slide. I.E. the intake i had as well as modified ignition timing and a few other things. It however passed emissions with flying colors. Yours should pass flawlessly. Just don't mention you have an engine swap to the guys. They prob wont even notice.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20b NON-vtec Smog Question (GZR4DR)

visual i know i'll pass for sure since it LOOKS exactly like the newer ls motor, plus i don't even think they know wat the motor is suppose to look like (in other word, they probably wouldn't know the different if i had a h22a in there). i do have a few ss lines though and blue wire looms (yea color wire looms, not too ricey though since it's not TOO much blue and it matches the aem blue stuff). think they give a shiet about that? also do they even check the motor? i remember my brother got his car smogged at an arco w/ a old fob dude and they didn't even bother poopin his hood, but then that was kindda late and i think they were supposily closing and it was like 2yrs back . wat about the mild cams, are those gonna make a diferrent?
Old 09-01-2002, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They have to pop the hood as they put a clip on a spark plug wire to read your rpm's just like you would do on a dyno test. Just tell them the lines are for astetic purposes only (i.e. pep boys engine dress up kit). You should be ok.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20b NON-vtec Smog Question (GZR4DR)

thas exactly wat the lines ARE for, looks! hahahhahah. i doubt all those ss lines make a different in performance. anyways, yea, i was pretty confidence b4 too and i guess i still am that i'll pass. wassup w/ that oil can crap though anyways?
Old 09-01-2002, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, i believe the compression on the b20 is lower than the ls motor i had, wouldn't that make the car run cleaner? aka easier to pass smog? also would using an apexi afc to lean out the fuel help?
you didn't say whether its a usdm or jdm b. My jdm has a good 20 psi higher that my ls ever did.