Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 months with swap , now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 months with swap , now wont start

b16a2 ->eg hatch
had it in for 5 months, aprox 8k miles that i put on it

got up to go to school car barely turned over , but it did start.

after school, car wouldnt start.. thought i drained my battery by leaving something on.. so friends pushed, i started car...

drove for about 30-40mins.. stopped.. tried to turn on car ,, same thing barely turns over.. and doesnt start,

what do u guys think? starter problem? anyway to debug.. so i know what it causing this...
Old 11-12-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: 5 months with swap , now wont start (yellowmonkeyboy)

Go have your battery tested.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 5 months with swap , now wont start (uncle)

Battery/charging system is most likely the problem.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 months with swap , now wont start (turbogixxer)

thanks, is there any specific steps to take to troubleshoot to see whether it is the battery or alternator or both? ... any signs... that will tell me which one is causing the prob?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:09 PM

go to autozone and they will check your battery and alternator for free, charge the battery up and drive there as quick as you can with some cash and fix it there
Old 11-14-2003, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 5 months with swap , now wont start (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Battery/charging system is most likely the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. Have your battery and alternator tested.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:34 PM

do the lights dim when you turn the car over or does the car make a loud noise like it wants to crank but it does not if its the first i would get the battery checked... lets us know whats going on
Old 11-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (6spdEG)

well at first the lights worked fine, but the engine wouldnt turn over, now the lights wont work too... ehh. i guess ill just haave to go get them both checked out... the alternator looks like a real bitch to get to... does anyone know specifically how im supposed to take it off?
Old 11-15-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: (yellowmonkeyboy)

alt. is not hard at all to take out. Only a couple bolts and slide the belt off the pulley and your done. As stated above take it to autozone/napa/kragen/shucks/checkers or whatever store you have and they will test for free. A lot of them can test the entire charging system while it is in the car with a little computer called a Midtronics(well I know for sure kragen/schucks and checkers have these).

Good luck
Old 11-17-2003, 07:54 AM

Default Re: (H22EK)

any updates
Old 11-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (6spdEG)

yeah ive been busy with school, so im going to take a look at it on wednesday,,, and hopefully fix the problems on that day too...
i drove my car on sunday though,, and i noticed, that my car would turn off when i drove it (i turned it on by rolling it and popping the clutch)
2. so i then got my friend to jump start my car,, and i left the connection on for about a minute.. then i was able to drive fine.. all the way to his house...

-ill update on the problem and the solution hopefully on wednesday
Old 11-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i went to advancedautoparts and asked them to check out my car... the guy took some machine came out clamped stuff onto my battery then told me to rev my car to around 2k.. i did it and my car shut off.. and he was stunned...
-he then told me this "it could be two things, either your battery or your alternator."
- i was like "yes sir, i know that, thats why i came to you to seei if you could pinpoint the problem"
then he had a hard time finding my altnernator, he went about looking on the other side of where it was... then i was like "are you looking for the alt"?
and he was like "yeah.. "
so i showed him where it was , he touched it and then told me "yeah it could be one of two things... your battery or alternator, i had a hard time finding your alternator cuz usually on this car its on the other side, but since you changed your motor,, its located here"
puahah funny stuff.. so now im back to square one.. im charging my battery as we speak.. going to drive it around after that to see whats up.. then if problems still exist ill change alternator
Old 11-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Few things. A) the guy is a dumbass (sorry for the language). B and D-series Alt. are in the same place. B) I think that is probably is your ALt. I have seen that most of the time (remember, most of the time) when the car shuts off like that , it is the Alt. Now, charging your battery will not show you that the Alt is to blame if the car shuts off again. Why? if the battery is not holding a charge if the Alt., it will not hold a charge from the battery charger. Now, it may not shut off, but load test the system. I would take it to a shop and have them do a load test the battery and the Alt.

Charging systems can be weird. Charging the battery in hope of finding the problem will not be that accurate. I would take it to a shop and/or a person that has the right machine to do it.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbogixxer)

i took my alt and batt out and got them individually tested,, both were bad... so i bought a new batt and alt...
i had to go back twice cuz they kept giving me the wrong alternator... so finally i carefully checked ... and went over with them which thing to type into the computer to see if they were doing everythihng correctly,, turned out that they werent.. and i needed an alternator that has to be special ordered DARN IT 1 more week till i can drive my car... argh... im going to check other places tomorrow...is it really that rare to find an alternator that i need to special order it? geez
to be cont.....
Old 11-26-2003, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just changed the alternator and battery , and my car turned on fine,, things seem fine, drove it up the block and then came back.. everything seemed cool... hopefully everything is straight.... oh yeah only prob is that my SRS light is on , on my dash.. maybe a fuse... ill check tomorrow, wohoo what a thanksgiving now that my car works, PC