Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

vtec issue mechanical noise under the valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec issue mechanical noise under the valve cover

I have had vtec issues for a year. I have tried and played with everything as I was throwing a p1259 and not being allowed to go into vtec. I recently swapped to an aem and have been doing some 3000 rpm vtec testing. The aem is switching it on but it is making a mechanical noise toward the rear of the head. I took the valve cover off and took a look and cannot see anything wrong. I don't want to play the what did it sound like game I am just looking for anyone who may have had a similar issue and what it is/was and how they resolved it. TIA

BTW there are no noises at all when not in vtec. she runs like a charm on the low cam all the way to7000+ rpms.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec issue mechanical noise under the valve cover (ChefJ)

chef, i know you pulled your head to change out headgaskets. have you looked to see if any of the VTEC rocker arm pins had fallen out? Try pulling the caps off and lifting up the rockers arms to see if the pins are there, also, move them around to see if any are stuck.

You could also do the pressure test to see if they engage. Not sure if thats something you want, or can afford to do. Try disengaging the Vtec wire and see if anything changes. It might not even be engaging. Also you might want to check your oil pressure, it might be low, due to either a bad pump, low viscosity oil etc...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Default Re: vtec issue mechanical noise under the valve cover (Soul Coughing)

about 2 weeks ago I had the cams out to check if the pins were there and moving, they were. I have an oil pressure gauge that is reading 65-75psi at 3k rpms at normal operating temperature. I may have tried the test at to low of an rpm/oil pressure setting. I was looking for more info on how to perform the air test. Could you explain where to hook the pressure up. TIA
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChefJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">about 2 weeks ago I had the cams out to check if the pins were there and moving, they were. I have an oil pressure gauge that is reading 65-75psi at 3k rpms at normal operating temperature. I may have tried the test at to low of an rpm/oil pressure setting. I was looking for more info on how to perform the air test. Could you explain where to hook the pressure up. TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

its explained in the manual. I think you need a specific fitting, im not sure. But it should explain it in the helms!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Default Re: vtec issue mechanical noise under the valve cover (Soul Coughing)

I looked in the helms. I am assuming it would be in the area of 6-33 the rocker arms section but it doesn't say anything about fittings or how much pressure. Unfortunately I am going to sc for some corporate training and won't see the car for about 3 months. I was just hoping to jump into the beast when I get back but it looks like she is going back on the rack.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChefJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> swapped to an aem and have been doing some 3000 rpm vtec testing. The aem is switching it on but it is making a mechanical noise toward the rear of the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so what from aem did you put on? and there is no reason what so ever to have vtec cross over at 3k. mine was tuned and vtec was dropped to 4200 but that was rock bottom for power with mostly stock set-up.

considering you started having problems as soon as you did that.... sounds like a good starting point
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Re: vtec issue mechanical noise under the valve cover (Aludew5)

I was having issues with a p1259 dtc when I had the emanage installed. I was hoping that it was just the engine management. I set it at 3k rpms to test in the garage without any reprocussions its what they tell you to test it at to see if it is changing over mechanically or electronically. The EMS is switching it into vtec but the issue I am having sounds mechanical. I have a log manifold so my normal x-over point is between 6-7k rpms.