Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22a1 Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22a1 Turbo Build

Hi, I’ve been contemplating things I want to do with my 92 prelude S 2.2L sohc. And I’ve decided to keep the stock engine, upgrade internals, and add turbo kit on. I am on a tight budget. So this is going to take time to build up to what I want due to lack on funds to buy everything at once. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do that would work best with Keeping the stock Sohc??

Last edited by David Busch; 03-08-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: F22a1 Turbo Build

never even consider budget builds
Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TimiK
never even consider budget builds
what I meant by that was that I don’t just have 10k sitting around to buy the best of everything I want for this car. I want to do things slowly and build little by little.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to do things slowly and build little by little

Do just that then. Pick a power goal your satisfied with, Check if that goal is higher than what a stock block can take for boost because if your looking for big numbers your going to need a resleeve and figure out what parts will get you there. Budget builds are usually rush builds because you want it on the street fast and in a hurry to be with all the cool kids. Take your time man and start collecting parts.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreludeJunkie91
I want to do things slowly and build little by little

Do just that then. Pick a power goal your satisfied with, Check if that goal is higher than what a stock block can take for boost because if your looking for big numbers your going to need a resleeve and figure out what parts will get you there. Budget builds are usually rush builds because you want it on the street fast and in a hurry to be with all the cool kids. Take your time man and start collecting parts.
yeah, I have no rush at all. So that’s what I’d plan on doing. Just wanted to know like what kind of power a stock motor can handle. And then see what brands are good and what not. This is my first build. So I’m not too sure about that kind of stuff
Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

What a stock block can handle is going to vary wildly by a number of factors including quality of parts, condition of the engine, how the power is delivered, fuel used and tune, luck, etc etc. I would suggest keeping it under 300whp on a stock engine if you want any degree of reliability. You can push it beyond that to the 350whp range but you're going to be pushing your luck. The rods will go long before the pistons if the tune is good. If you end up breaking ringlands then your tune was garbage to begin with. I have been messing around with H/F series for over 12 years now and I have seen motors blow their guts out all over the highway at <250whp and some freaks that live forever at 400whp+. When in doubt, stay on the conservative side. A car constantly in the shop needing something is no fun at all.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
What a stock block can handle is going to vary wildly by a number of factors including quality of parts, condition of the engine, how the power is delivered, fuel used and tune, luck, etc etc. I would suggest keeping it under 300whp on a stock engine if you want any degree of reliability. You can push it beyond that to the 350whp range but you're going to be pushing your luck. The rods will go long before the pistons if the tune is good. If you end up breaking ringlands then your tune was garbage to begin with. I have been messing around with H/F series for over 12 years now and I have seen motors blow their guts out all over the highway at <250whp and some freaks that live forever at 400whp+. When in doubt, stay on the conservative side. A car constantly in the shop needing something is no fun at all.
yeah that makes sense. My motor has 197K miles on it. But I do plan on upgrading all the internals before I boost it. Just not sure which brands are worth getting. I do kind of want to do little by little and keep it drivable throughout the process. I don’t want it to be sitting for months and months. So not sure in which order I should do things as well.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Drive it and enjoy it now while you slowly buy quality parts. Get the chassis ready for boost before boosting it. Install better brakes, tires, check over and replace any worn suspension components, etc. These are things that can be done in a day and will have very little down time. Then when the time is right you can throw your new engine and turbo kit in, immediately head off to get a tune and you'll be good to go. More advice I can give you is race it at the track, not in the shop. Just take your time and focus on doing things the correct way and the end result will be much better even if it takes a little longer. As for what parts are worth getting, stay away from unbranded stuff you find on eBay. Do your research. There's a healthy forced induction section right here on this site with answers to a lot of questions you have or will have.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
Drive it and enjoy it now while you slowly buy quality parts. Get the chassis ready for boost before boosting it. Install better brakes, tires, check over and replace any worn suspension components, etc. These are things that can be done in a day and will have very little down time. Then when the time is right you can throw your new engine and turbo kit in, immediately head off to get a tune and you'll be good to go. More advice I can give you is race it at the track, not in the shop. Just take your time and focus on doing things the correct way and the end result will be much better even if it takes a little longer. As for what parts are worth getting, stay away from unbranded stuff you find on eBay. Do your research. There's a healthy forced induction section right here on this site with answers to a lot of questions you have or will have.
thank you! That actually helps a lot!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Look into traction and cooling and try to find LSD transmission also