Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22a Euro R swap DYNO TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22a Euro R swap DYNO TUNE

Here is my dyno tune numbers for my fairly new swap. Swap was purchased at HMO motors. DYNO tune done at Erick's Racing in Baldwin Park. I had some concerns about the dips at low RPMS and at VTEC crossover. Is there something wrong here? I also noticed mt torque numbers are unusually high for a stock motor with bolt ons. Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

I know some of the mods below are overkill, but my OLD SH motor had about 300k on it so, I figured it was time to replace all the routine maintenance parts with some upgraded ones.

Here are my dyno numbers:

208 WHP 182TQ

Mods done:

Euro R swap w/T2W4
AEM V2
HYTECH REP
Euro R manifold (rosko'd)
68MM ITR TB
3" Custom Mandrel bend piping to a 3" Vibrant muffler
3" Vibrant HFC
550cc RC injectors
255 Walbro Fuel pump
EGR Delete
Exedy Stage 1 clutch
Hondata P28
8LB Fidanza flyehwel
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: H22a Euro R swap DYNO TUNE

usually 3" piping gives some extra tq so thats ok but your hp seems little bit low for R engine except if its hp after drivetrain loss
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is to the wheel hp. Not at the crank. I’ve been getting responses elsewhere about the torque being unusually high. I’m just hoping someone can chime in about the dyno graph itself. I’m not too familiar about reading it properly. Thank you
Old 02-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

americans usually mix whp and hp - when its measured from the wheels its still not whp - whp is hp after drivetrain loss what is exactly going to the ground - engine itself have more hp but when the dyno calculates the loss out from the engine hp then you'll get whp

here usually dynos show em both

3" piping may work better in higher rpms and may cause that tq dip in low end...(my guess) VTEC cross over dip is usually like that with stock cams - maybe you could improve these with fine street tuning...or then not
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have already explained to him. Dyno is just a tool. The instant blip in torque within 500 rpm then goes right back down... needs to be thrown out. Realistically probably 160 torque if did dyno comparisons. 90.7mm Stroke Stock Block/Head will no way make 182 ft lbs. Motors effieciency in torque is already pre-determined. My 95mm Stock Block H23V BT cookie butters make 175 ft lbs. A typical 90.7 stroke Euro R will make 160-165 trq. I have used both Dynapacks and Dynojets.

HP seems accurate.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand the power to the wheels concept and powertrain loss. We’ll never those hp numbers that we see advertised from the dealer.

As ”esp” stated to me before these dyno machines are just tools. Every machine/dynos are different. But my question in this thread is why their is a dip in torque at low rpm. Is this due to tuner error?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a dyno from one of my 1st tunes with this motor.

This is with 2.5” piping to a stock cat, stock TB, Type S intake. Also had a leak on my fuel rail.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the above tune, he went really conservative.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ESP...as you can see with the 2 dynos. I’m torn on what my numbers should be. A little hard to compare due to the difference in mods and tuners. I believe Ericks Racing Went harder on my motor to get more power out of it.
bisi was on more of the conservative end
Old 02-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really do not know whats up... one dyno is severly low... no iffs or buts... as if stock p13 be better ecu to use... I have no clue if its the tuners or what.... 2nd one is better...
Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An 8 lb flywheel will also lose some torque in theory not gain.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was perplexed to see those low numbers, but it could’ve been a number of variables. Leaky fuel rail, piping diameter, different intake. From what I’ve read and researched the p28 is the best ecu for the euro r motor.

I guess maybe the 1 more time on the dyno should give me a better gauge on where the numbers should be.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went back to my 2nd dyno place to have my dip in
torque corrected. He said my car was running really rich for some reason. Now the car feels amazing that he corrected my partial throttle issue at low rpm. I gained 2whp and 1lb tq after the courtesy dyno tune.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dyno is a TOOL all it is........................... THERE IS NO WAY A STOCK 90.7MM STROKE STOCK BLOCK/HEAD/CAMS WILL MAKE 183 FT LBS OF TORQUE.... MY Knowledge says torque is off on that dyno... My 95mm Stroke Cookie Cutter Builds Bolt Ons only do 175 ft lbs of torque.... We can argue this till the cows come home. lol
Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ESP.net
Dyno is a TOOL all it is........................... THERE IS NO WAY A STOCK 90.7MM STROKE STOCK BLOCK/HEAD/CAMS WILL MAKE 183 FT LBS OF TORQUE.... MY Knowledge says torque is off on that dyno... My 95mm Stroke Cookie Cutter Builds Bolt Ons only do 175 ft lbs of torque.... We can argue this till the cows come home. lol

LOL! Well, I went back to get my partial throttle corrected at lower RPM's. It ended up correcting some of the power throughout the powerband. He didn't charge so, I said what the heck. I'm not doubting your knowledge about dynos. The numbers are there even if its "not calibrated" accurately. The dyno graph definitely looks much better after the 2nd tune.

Erick Aguilar of Erick's Racing tuned my car and has impeccable knowledge with Honda's. I'd say over 25 years and has a pretty quick all motor Honda hitting 9sec qtr mile. So, I don't doubt his knowledge of tuning either.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, Dynapacks rate higher correct? What do you say? 10% higher than other types of dynos?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Inextricabledrvr
So, Dynapacks rate higher correct? What do you say? 10% higher than other types of dynos?
Maybe not quite 10%... but 8% for sure.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have used both Dynapacks and Dynojets. Dynapack is where my cookie cutter builds got tuned on. H23V Blue Top stock block bolt ons 175 ft lbs of torque. This dyno was calibrated tried, trued and tested to be comparable to there own dynojet and other local ones around to be pretty darn accurate. Speedfactory Racing where my tunes were done years ago. There 90.7 stroke stock blocks at that time were all in 155 range of torque... Which equates to be right in the middle of all Thousands and Thousands of Dyno Sheets I have seen over the years. There is a common denominator and that is what I believe to be 100% true.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m not doubting your knowledge or experience of
dynos. I understand it’s just a tool and nothing else. It’d be nice to find a reputable/honest tuner nowadays. Rather than cheating/misleading us to believe our numbers are true.

I have a question for you as im trying to figure out that sudden spike in torque and power at vtec crossover. Would a valve adjustment help smooth that a bit or is it just the dyno machine not being calibrated? You mentioned these numbers are predetermined alresdy as it acts like a pump. If I misquoted you in anyway please clarify.

Thanks for all the helpful insight and advice.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ESP.net
I have used both Dynapacks and Dynojets. Dynapack is where my cookie cutter builds got tuned on. H23V Blue Top stock block bolt ons 175 ft lbs of torque. This dyno was calibrated tried, trued and tested to be comparable to there own dynojet and other local ones around to be pretty darn accurate. Speedfactory Racing where my tunes were done years ago. There 90.7 stroke stock blocks at that time were all in 155 range of torque... Which equates to be right in the middle of all Thousands and Thousands of Dyno Sheets I have seen over the years. There is a common denominator and that is what I believe to be 100% true.
You also mentioned the 90.7 strokes torque range should be 155. What was the highest you’ve seen? You mentioned 155 being right in the middle as far as range is concerned. There had to of been some outliers in your data.