Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wreck or restore/project?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 wreck or restore/project?

So I've been away from this forum for a while, but I think it's time to return - any responses will be greatly appreciated, so please, write back!

My 97 ex coupe (auto) was 'totaled' (no comprehensive coverage, so I'm the one calling it totaled, for the record) on thanksgiving day '09, and airbags deployed, and I was planning on parting it out, but now I'm thinking of fixing her, because I'm looking for a project anyway.

Let me know if I'm out of my mind - here's the damage report (that I know of)

I fishtailed out avoiding a (assumedly) drunk driver, and my rear wheels jumped up onto a curb. I slid about 50 or so feet sideways, around a turn guided by a brick wall, and when I fell off the curb, the front suspension hit hard enough to deploy the airbags, and crunch up my hood and drivers side light, bumper, and whatever else is in that corner. Also, my rear drivers side wheel is now angled so that the top is out by approx 30-45 degrees (is that camber in or out?).

So I need a new hood, front bumper, headlamp, and the thing that holds the rear wheel straight (the springs seem fine). Oh, and the airbags cracked the windshield.

Also, the engine cranks and turns over, but doesn't start - upon further investigation, I found a belt not broken, but off the pulley. Maybe this is why it won't start?

I broke some radiator stuff (hoses, supports, etc) on the drivers side (looks like there are 2 radiators?) and leaked out all my fluid on the road. I don't think I leaked all my oil, so my pan is probably fine. maybe.

also, the frame/body is a bit smooshed in the corner where the drivers headlamp stuff was. (is that even pullable?)

Sorry if this is alot of information, and I know it sounds like crap anyway since it's auto, but if I can fix it (without paying more than it would be to buy a new car) I'd like to give it a shot...

I'm not sure how to upload pictures here, but I can put them on photobucket or whatever if they're needed.

Anything else I should check in my damage assessments?

Thanks for your responses! Much appreciated (by me and my car!)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wreck or restore/project?

bump? I also found that that there is 0 oil in the motor (not sure if its the pan, block, a gasket or the filter broke off...) also the part of the body that holds up the bumper on the drivers side is bent/possibly missing a piece, so I'm thinking it's shot....

On the bright side, I suppose disassembly in itself is a project... Never parted out a car before, and I've always had better luck taking things apart than putting them back together ;-)

Figured that's what you all would suggest anyway, so I'll be listing on philadelphia craigslist soon :-/
Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will cost too much to repair IMO. It can always be a project for you to learn how to take apart and put parts back on.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jclark5093
So I've been away from this forum for a while, but I think it's time to return - any responses will be greatly appreciated, so please, write back!

My 97 ex coupe (auto) was 'totaled' (no comprehensive coverage, so I'm the one calling it totaled, for the record) on thanksgiving day '09, and airbags deployed, and I was planning on parting it out, but now I'm thinking of fixing her, because I'm looking for a project anyway.

Let me know if I'm out of my mind - here's the damage report (that I know of)

I fishtailed out avoiding a (assumedly) drunk driver, and my rear wheels jumped up onto a curb. I slid about 50 or so feet sideways, around a turn guided by a brick wall, and when I fell off the curb, the front suspension hit hard enough to deploy the airbags, and crunch up my hood and drivers side light, bumper, and whatever else is in that corner. Also, my rear drivers side wheel is now angled so that the top is out by approx 30-45 degrees (is that camber in or out?).

So I need a new hood, front bumper, headlamp, and the thing that holds the rear wheel straight (the springs seem fine). Oh, and the airbags cracked the windshield.

Also, the engine cranks and turns over, but doesn't start - upon further investigation, I found a belt not broken, but off the pulley. Maybe this is why it won't start?

I broke some radiator stuff (hoses, supports, etc) on the drivers side (looks like there are 2 radiators?) and leaked out all my fluid on the road. I don't think I leaked all my oil, so my pan is probably fine. maybe.

also, the frame/body is a bit smooshed in the corner where the drivers headlamp stuff was. (is that even pullable?)

Sorry if this is alot of information, and I know it sounds like crap anyway since it's auto, but if I can fix it (without paying more than it would be to buy a new car) I'd like to give it a shot...

I'm not sure how to upload pictures here, but I can put them on photobucket or whatever if they're needed.

Anything else I should check in my damage assessments?

Thanks for your responses! Much appreciated (by me and my car!)
imo you should part it out, sounds like it has too many problems that are not worth fixing.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once you start getting into structural damage and you dont have any type of body work experience the best thing you can do is part it out.its not bad replacing fenders, hoods, doors, but when the structure is bent its gotta be back to perfect to get everything to line up and it needs to be safe too.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much damage. Part it out. You'll get part way in and realize it's over your head and it will just sit. I was in the same boat, I tried to fix a car my brother totaled. My dad insisted it was worth fixing even though the parts are worth more than you could get from it after adding in all the stuff to fix it.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Part it. These cars are cheap enough, and the inner frame is so thin, metal work on them sucks, especially for beginners. By the time you fixed that you could have bought and built another car.

To answer your question, that's positive camber, the name is quite misleading.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by starion88esir
To answer your question, that's positive camber, the name is quite misleading.
Thank you, lol, yes it is.

And agreed, it will be parted. These cars (around here anyway) are not what I consider cheap, but I have no money :-) (between 2500-4000 for a stock one in average condition)

At least that still gives me an excuse to hold a wrench ;-)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$2500-4000? $2500 is a decent price. Just remember, just because they're asking a certain amount doesn't mean anyone would pay it, you can always bargain.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My parent's got my 97 4 years ago for $3000 (then sold it to me for $2000 a while later). The price should go down after 4 years...
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i paid 4128 out the door for mine, had high miles but everything was PERFECT, and all oem.

2500-4000 is what most of the people get them for.
next time you should really post pictures,
Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea if you look around youll find a good deal in no time and you wont regret it. gl.