Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr

i just did my first swap i got a 96 civic and i swaped a GSR into it now i want to boost it what do i all need to boost it for low cost
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (poorhonda)

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be more of a forced induction forum question, but you willl need the followinfg to do a low boost (6-9psi) on a t3/t4 (b/c its a cheap and popular turbo that a lot of bought kit/setups are based around). Exhaust manifold, turbo (save money by getting a internally waste gated turbo and you'll be around 8psi), wastegate (if the turbo is not internally waste gated), downpipe, intercooler + piping + bov (blow off valve), boost controller ( a "voodoo" manual boost controller can be bought off ebayt for like $20 and they're good), vacuum hose, sandwhich adapter for turbo oil feed, and a tapped oil pan for turbo oil return. I think thats it for the basic of a cheap low boost setup. Dont forget the boost gauge
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (z6hatchboy)

wouldn't he need some kind of tuning device? i know if you are running low boost you wouldn't need larger injectors or a fuel pressure regulator, but even at 8 lbs, you would need something to tune it with. or at least a base map. i may be wrong, but you need to tune the fuel/ignition/timing, etc. i dont see how it's possible to put on an aftermarket turbo kit, even at low boost, without at least an Apexi SAFC or Greddy Emanage...preferably an AEM EMS.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (s2000onvolks)

The stock honda map sensor is good for 10psi (at least on a t3/t4). A tune will be mandatory if you go past this. But if you stay below you will be fine, although a tune would be very helpful in getting the most of it and having a more reliable motor. Greddy's Emanage and AEM's ems isnt worth it unless your a full blow drag car in my opinion. A street/strip car would be fine with a ecu chipped on crome with a good tune. And a base map, is a stock honda map (as in fuel/ign tables and such, not to be confused with the map sensor as above).
Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant judge ANYTHING on psi. It all comes down to horse power and you will not get the same amount of power at the same psi on different motors. No he will not need to upgrade his map sensor but he will need a tune and he will need to upgrade his injectors. AEM and Greddy is overkill so crome with street tune will be fine. Go hang out in the FI thread cuz you will get a lot of NOOB suggestions as evidenced by above statements.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (mikeycivic)

Oh i no everything cant be judged by psi, its all about cfm's b/c of bigger a/r's and trims. But the info i posted is respectively for a t3/t4, although i didnt mention trim, ill list it now as a .57 a/r. Good call on the injectors and your thoughts on the crome.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The stock honda map sensor is good for 10psi (at least on a t3/t4). A tune will be mandatory if you go past this. But if you stay below you will be fine, although a tune would be very helpful in getting the most of it and having a more reliable motor. Greddy's Emanage and AEM's ems isnt worth it unless your a full blow drag car in my opinion. A street/strip car would be fine with a ecu chipped on crome with a good tune. And a base map, is a stock honda map (as in fuel/ign tables and such, not to be confused with the map sensor as above).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry but the stock map is good for nothing with out a tune, It cant read boost with out some kind of em. The second you hit boost the map will throw a code your car will go into limp mode. You need one of three ways fmu, missing link- vafc and bigger injectors-or EM and bigger injectors. Also dont forget the fuel pump.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (bigD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry but the stock map is good for nothing with out a tune, It cant read boost with out some kind of em. The second you hit boost the map will throw a code your car will go into limp mode. You need one of three ways fmu, missing link- vafc and bigger injectors-or EM and bigger injectors. Also dont forget the fuel pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but im thinking that is incorrect. That is why people say the stock map is good for lets say 10psi (this is just to explain something mikeycivic ), we didnt say 10 hctg ( i think thats it) or vacuum. The map will read a certain amount of boost. A tune wont change how or what a map sensor reads b/c its its sole job is to read pressure. A tune uses a map to get the pressure reading. On a last note fmu's, missing link's, and vafc's (just b/c its a piggy back) and not good idea's IMO at all (although if i was to choose VAFC is the only i would choose). Get a properly done tune on crome or uber as mikeyscivic and I stated. I dont think the map will cause limp mode under reasonable conditions if boosted over. You will just get insanely horrible/incorrect fuel tables.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by z6hatchboy
This may be more of a forced induction forum question, but you willl need the followinfg to do a low boost (6-9psi) on a t3/t4 (b/c its a cheap and popular turbo that a lot of bought kit/setups are based around). Exhaust manifold, turbo (save money by getting a internally waste gated turbo and you'll be around 8psi), wastegate (if the turbo is not internally waste gated), downpipe, intercooler + piping + bov (blow off valve), boost controller ( a "voodoo" manual boost controller can be bought off ebayt for like $20 and they're good), vacuum hose, sandwhich adapter for turbo oil feed, and a tapped oil pan for turbo oil return. I think thats it for the basic of a cheap low boost setup. Dont forget the boost gauge
Frankly, the Forced Induction forum on H-T is really slow and horrible at answering questions in any sort of helpful manner, this is a good spot to post your question about turboing a stock GSR motor.

Firstly, an exhaust manifold comes from an NA motor, so you'll need a turbo manifold. They come in many forms, Ram horn, top mount, log manifold, etc... Log manifold is by far the cheapest and it spools really quickly -- plus it's quite reliable if build right the first time. Here's what else you'll need for your car:

Turbocharger: Pick which size and trim turbo is gonna work best for your application and goals. A regular T3 turbo is usually good for 250WHP, a t3/t4 up to 400WHP, and a t4 400+ WHP... I'd recommend a ball-bearing garrett turbo, a nicely sized t3/t4 turbo, not too large or too small TRIM/AR size.

Downpipe: Again must be custom for your turbo/manifold choice. A flex pipe and o2 bung are nice to have while creating a downpipe -- although not necessary.

Wastegate: Choose a wastegate size (also what psi spring you'd like to run) according to application such as amount of air flow and psi from turbo.. This is if you have a turbo that's externally wastegate powered..

Intercooler: Choose either a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) or Side Mount Intercooler. FMIC is the only way to go really for efficient cooling..

Blow off valve: This is actually an optional (but very recommended part). Doesnt really matter which one you choose. Pick a sound you like. Some people like to use ebay or cheap BOV's, but if it fails, you can hurt your turbo -- so don't really cheap out.

Fuel Management: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. I would highly suggest running a programmable chipped ecu or standalone device. I'd suggest Hondata or Crome..

Fuel Pump : You will probably need an upgraded fuel pump to support the added fuel consumption. Can be either internal or external -- I recommended the Walbro 2550LPH hi pressure fuel pump kit from injected-performance.com on H-T's marketplace for sponsors

Injectors : To support added air induction, more fuel is need... hence bigger injectors. Buy size according to application.

Map Sensor: Stock maps can only read up to ~10.63 psi, if you plan to go higher upgrade to a 2bar or 3bar map sensor.

Intercooler Piping: You can buy a ic piping kit, but usally will always take some modification to fit your exact application.. I believe ebay has some kits that have flanges made for the greddy BOV's for around $150 shipped

Couplers/t-bolts: You will need silicone couplers to bind the two intercooler pipes together as well as t-bolts -- I don't recommend screw clamps for anything other than for your intake pipes for your custom Short Ram

Oil drain/feed lines: Every turbo needs oil, so you must buy an oil feed and drain line kit. Stainless Steel lines are HIGHLY recommended. Rubber lines will get hot and can/will burst.

Vacuum Manifold: Not required but recommended to help organize vacuum lines and allow for good vacuum sources. I'd use Golden Eagle's Vacuum manifold.

Gauges: although not required, it's highly recommend so you can keep some status of motor operation. boost/oil pressure highly recommended

Spark plugs: Although not required, turbo temps can get high, so i recommend you step down two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too.. You need NGK BKR7E.. For SOHC it's: ZFR7E-11 spark plugs..

I have a bunch of helpful links I submitted to the Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992-2000) forum FAQ:

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_400322/tm.htm

HOW TO INSTALL THE TURBO AND EVERYTHING -- THE BEST TUTORIAL ON THE WEB: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1263795

I highly suggest reading a few!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me explain little better for you, the stock map can read boost but the stock ecu will not know what to do when it does =limp mode and cell. Thats why you need a missing link that hides the boost from ecu or vafc that tricks the signal to the ecu or some kind of engine management.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (mikeycivic)

Yeah, I went overboard.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (ke98248)

Originally Posted by ke98248

Frankly, the Forced Induction forum on H-T is really slow and horrible at answering questions in any sort of helpful manner, this is a good spot to post your question about turboing a stock GSR motor.

Firstly, an exhaust manifold comes from an NA motor, so you'll need a turbo manifold. They come in many forms, Ram horn, top mount, log manifold, etc... Log manifold is by far the cheapest and it spools really quickly -- plus it's quite reliable if build right the first time. Here's what else you'll need for your car:

Turbocharger: Pick which size and trim turbo is gonna work best for your application and goals. A regular T3 turbo is usually good for 250WHP, a t3/t4 up to 400WHP, and a t4 400+ WHP... I'd recommend a ball-bearing garrett turbo, a nicely sized t3/t4 turbo, not too large or too small TRIM/AR size.

Downpipe: Again must be custom for your turbo/manifold choice. A flex pipe and o2 bung are nice to have while creating a downpipe -- although not necessary.

Wastegate: Choose a wastegate size (also what psi spring you'd like to run) according to application such as amount of air flow and psi from turbo.. This is if you have a turbo that's externally wastegate powered..

Intercooler: Choose either a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) or Side Mount Intercooler. FMIC is the only way to go really for efficient cooling..

Blow off valve: This is acutally an opional (but very recommended part). Doesnt really matter which one you choose. Pick a sound you like. Some people like to use ebay or cheap BOV's, but if it fails, you can hurt your turbo -- so don't really cheap out.

Fuel Manegment: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. I would highly suggest running a programable chiped ecu or standalone device. I'd suggest Hondata or Crome..

Fuel Pump : You will probably need an upgraded fuel pump to support the added fuel consumption. Can be either internal or external -- I recommened the Walbro 2550LPH hi pressure fuel pump kit from injected-performance.com on H-T's marketplace for sponsors

Injectors : To support added air induction, more fuel is need... hence bigger injectors. Buy size according to application.

Map Sensor: Stock maps can only read up to ~10.63 psi, if you plan to go higher upgrade to a 2bar or 3bar map sensor.

Intercooler Piping: You can buy a ic piping kit, but usally will always take some modification to fit your exact application.. I believe ebay has some kits that have flanges made for the greddy BOV's for around $150 shipped

Couplers/t-bolts: You will need silicone couplers to bind the two intercooler pipes together as well as t-bolts -- I don't recommend screw clamps for anything other than for your intake pipes for your custom Short Ram

Oil drain/feed lines: Every turbo needs oil, so you must buy an oil feed and drain line kit. Stainless Steel lines are HIGHLY recommended. Rubber lines will get hot and can/will burst.

Vacuum Manifold: Not required but recommended to help organize vacuum lines and allow for good vacuum sources. I'd use Golden Eagle's Vacuum manifold.

Gauges: although not required, it's highly recommend so you can keep some status of motor operation. boost/oil pressure highly recommended

Spark plugs: Although not required, turbo temps can get high, so i recommend you step down two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too.. You need NGK BKR7E.. For SOHC it's: ZFR7E-11 spark plugs..

I have a bunch of helpful links I submitted to the Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992-2000) forum FAQ:

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_400322/tm.htm

[b]HOW TO INSTALL THE TURBO AND EVERYTHING -- THE BEST TUTORIAL ON THE WEB: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1263795[/b]

I highly suggest reading a few!
^^^^^^^^^^^ that'll just about do it
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (bigD)

Ok, i understand you now and i just checked some crome maps i have. Yes the ecu wont read the boost, but a missing link is really just as bad imo (however may be better than nothing). Thanks for clearing that up
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

np trust me I would never run a missing link, I use crome myself, just pointing out the options.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I went overboard. </TD></TR></TABLE>
May a little, but was probably the best thing said .
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now i think i know erything i need an all thanks for eveyones input how much you think this is all going to run me keeping it low cost ofcorse
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Well, if you ARE going to modify and upgrade your internals, and all of the other external mods, PLUS all of the turbo equipment... Personally, you can get an ebay turbo-kit for under a grand, then roughly $850 for all of your internal stuff... I dunno, maybe around 2,000? You can probably search these forums on honda-tech and find cheaper stuff though. All takes time.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats everyting i need to boost stock gsr (JonSim)

2 grand thAT dont seem to bad what about if i didnt do internal
Old 01-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok about a grad you say what kind of turbo kit shoud i buy
Old 01-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poorhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you know Todd Petrignani?