Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The Travail of Changing my Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Update* The Travail of Changing my Tranny Fluid

So I wake up today, and decide it'd be a good day to go change my tranny fluid. I had been meaning to do this for awhile and I had nothing better to do this weekend.

I go over to the Honda dealer and get 2 quarts of Honda MTF for my 94' Si and a new crush washer.

I then drive over to my parentsÂ’ house from my apartment to go about the task at hand. Per Tom's Axle Replacement How-To, found here: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416,

I chose to fill my tranny from the VSS hole. All was fine and dandy until I was tightening down the bolt for the VSS after removing the old fluid and filling the tranny with MTF. Then trouble struck. As I was turning the ratchet, I felt a *SNAP*. I pulled the ratchet out and with it came the top half of the bolt. I had shorn the bolt off in the hole. Fxck

I called the local Honda dealership and, lucky me, the parts department had closed for the weekend. Motherfxck.

Resigned, I then proceeded to drive over to pep boys and get an Easy-Out, basically a reverse threaded screw, which you screw into the broken bolt to thread the bolt out. I get back to the house and proceed to drill the starter hole in the broken bolt. As I was drilling, I felt ANOTHER *SNAP*. I had broken the 5/64 bit making the starter hole. The hole still isn't deep enough for me to get the Easy-Out started. Double Motherfxck.

So now, I sit at my parents' house, on their slow-*** computer, stranded, typing out my troubles on HT, until Monday when I can get a new bolt from the dealership and work on the car on MLK Jr. Day.

If any of you had the patience to read through this poorly organized mess, and get to here, then if you have any ideas as what to do other than wait for Monday to roll around, please feel free to express yourself

Cliffs: Went to change tranny fluid, broke off VSS bolt in tranny, can't get new bolt till Monday. Fxck

*Update*

I went to the dealership today (1/19/04) and asked for the bolt I broke. They didn't have it in stock. Fxck. I ordered the part and they said it'd be in tomorrow.

I then went to Home Depot and got new drill bits to replace the one I broke.

Afterwards, I went home and got about getting the bolt out of the tranny. I drilled a nice hole with the new bit and stuck my easy out into it and started turning. *Snap* You can probably guess what happened. The easy-out broke. But not before it had gotten the bolt out about a cm.

Fed up, I then proceeded to put my finger on a sharp protrusion of thread on the bolt and twisted it out with sheer brute force. YAY. Now I get to drive my mom's car to campus and go get the bolt after class tomorrow.

Cliffs: Went to dealer to get bolt. They had to order it. Bought new drill bits. Drilled bigger hole in bolt, snapped off easy out in the bolt. Brute forced the now protruding bolt with my fingers. Have to wait till Tuesday to get bolt.

Modified by Draco at 4:35 PM 1/19/2004
Old 01-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man that sucks...lucky for you its a pretty easy fix but the shitty part is having to wait til monday good luck man
Old 01-17-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (pr0ject Eg6)

Well it would be an easy fix if it weren't in such an inaccessible place. The only reason I've got this problem is because its such a pain to get to. But I guess it's much better than some other more serious problems.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (pr0ject Eg6)

Ahh well.
Good luck Monday
Old 01-17-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: The Travail of Changing my Tranny Fluid (Draco)

$2.00 bendable funnel from Wal-Mart and none of this would have happened. Just fill it in the spot that Honda meant for it to be filled in.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: The Travail of Changing my Tranny Fluid (King Tut33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$2.00 bendable funnel from Wal-Mart and none of this would have happened. Just fill it in the spot that Honda meant for it to be filled in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or a $5 pump 'n hose from advance that screws onto the bottle of MTF and pumps into the side fill hole.

Why the FXCK did honda put a fill hole on the SIDE of d series trannies? Does Japan not have gravity or something?
Old 01-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Travail of Changing my Tranny Fluid (Draco)

Many people fill the trannys through the vss sensor hole, but to me thats just asking for trouble. Anytime I dont have to touch a sensor is better....you lucky the sensor didnt break. Next time just fill it through the fill plug.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: *Update* The Travail of Changing my Tranny Fluid (Draco)

Bump for update
Old 01-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the fun I had with the bottom bumper support bolt....same thing