Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
.likes trains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!!

cliff notes at the bottom + question!!!

Alright so it started out to be any normal tranny replacing fluid job. I was having a hard time removing the filler bolt. Now keep in mind this was my first time doing this. The other times I was to scared to do it myself. So I finally grew a pair and did it. So I got the filler plug off, and the drain bolt was next. The drain bolt came off way easier compared to the filler bolt. So I was expecting tranny fluid to be gushing out the tranny. Well instead of it gushing I got two penny sized drop of tranny fluid.

So I asked my friend if the tranny should be "warm" (as in i just finished driving it) for the fluid to drain out. He said no and that the fluid should be pouring out. Then I told him about the drops. So he proceeds to tell me that my tranny wasn't filled up all the way. Then I told him that my tranny didn't have a problem shifting or getting into gears. Tired and pissed off that my friend couldn't grasp the concept of only the drops coming out. I went back into the garage to figure out what the **** was wrong.

So I proceeded pouring the new tranny fluid in through the filler hole. Well the new fluid went in and overflowed right back out. So there was tranny fluid inside, but it wont come out. Right about this time I've already had it with my car. So thinking outside the box I went in my car and started it up. Well about 1 qt. of tranny fluid came out, but it wasn't from the drain bolt. It was through the filler. So I called it a night filled up a qt of the new fluid in the tranny and decided to take it to the shop, and let them deal with it.

btw the car was leveled on 4 jack stands. then i tried to till the car towards the passenger, and nothing came out.

My question is has anyone had this kind of problem before?

Cliff: Tranny fluid didn't come out. Started motor and 1 qt finally came out and then it stopped.

Modified by .one lane at 11:11 PM 4/30/2006
Old 04-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!! (.one lane)

Meow mix
Old 04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!! (super_mut)

Meow?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 PM
HT Black OPs

Make sure car is level as it would be on flat land. Let engine/parts cool off, just like a oil change. Remove drain bolt with a 3/8 socket (about 3 quarts should come out) Replace drain bolt/ crusher washer. ( torque to 33 ftlbs ) Crack fill bolt, Remove the VSS. Pour 3.2 quarts of HONDA MTF through VSS hole. Or until it drips out fill hole. Replace crusher washer and torque down bolt. Put VSS back on. Start car and shift through all gears to make sure everything is good.

This is from the top of my head, just did this about 3 weeks ago for the first time.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!! (00IntegrAllmotoR)

Why are you filling from the top, I've pumped it in before from the side. Thats a lot of work to just fill your MTF.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 PM
.likes trains

Instresting. So you fill it up through the VSS hole? I was going off the service manual. Mind giving me a link on how to do it through the VSS?

Old 04-30-2006, 11:07 PM

Default Re: (.one lane)

unbolt the vss on the top, i think its a 10mm bolt holding it on, and fill it thru that hole.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:09 PM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: (typerhedlights)

yup^^ two 10mm bolts is all it is. Top of tranny near firewall. I found it very easy since its just a straight drop into the tranny, not bent or curved.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00IntegrAllmotoR)

IT sounds to me like part of the DRAIN bolt/magnet is busted still inside the tranny. Try to stick a pencil or pen into the hole where the drain plug goes in. If it goes in less than 1 inch, then something is clogging the drain hole.

Please take a pic of ur drain bolt. It should have a 1/2 in magnet at the end.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RIP Indian Larry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00IntegrAllmotoR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure car is level as it would be on flat land. Let engine/parts cool off, just like a oil change. Remove drain bolt with a 3/8 socket (about 3 quarts should come out) Replace drain bolt/ crusher washer. ( torque to 33 ftlbs ) Crack fill bolt, Remove the VSS. Pour 3.2 quarts of HONDA MTF through VSS hole. Or until it drips out fill hole. Replace crusher washer and torque down bolt. Put VSS back on. Start car and shift through all gears to make sure everything is good.

This is from the top of my head, just did this about 3 weeks ago for the first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not 3.2 quarts, its 2.3 quarts
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00IntegrAllmotoR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00IntegrAllmotoR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup^^ two 10mm bolts is all it is. Top of tranny near firewall. I found it very easy since its just a straight drop into the tranny, not bent or curved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this works well^^^^^^^^^^^ i would recommend taking out you fill plug like on the above diagram. just so you dont overfill the tranny.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:46 PM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: (B18B-SC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D 2da A9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not 3.2 quarts, its 2.3 quarts </TD></TR></TABLE>

correct, I knew I would get something wrong off the top of my head. Didn't have my helms in front of me.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:03 PM

Sounds to me like you have the wrong filler and drain plug

are you using a helms or haynes manual? If not, i recommend getting one. Theres a plug on the passanger side of the transmission next to or above the axle that uses a 1/2 drive i think. is that the filler plug you're referring to? If so, then you're probably trying to drain out of the filler..

Make sure you're using these 2 plugs.. the filler should be 3/8" drive and the drain plug will be 17mm

Heres a good article.. http://www.team-integra.net/se...D=301

Let me know if that wasn't the problem, i just dropped my transmission out, drained and filled it last weekend so its pretty fresh in my mind
Old 05-01-2006, 08:33 PM
.likes trains

Default Re: Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!! (VtecAdvantage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecAdvantage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds to me like you have the wrong filler and drain plug

are you using a helms or haynes manual? If not, i recommend getting one. Theres a plug on the passanger side of the transmission next to or above the axle that uses a 1/2 drive i think. is that the filler plug you're referring to? If so, then you're probably trying to drain out of the filler..

Make sure you're using these 2 plugs.. the filler should be 3/8" drive and the drain plug will be 17mm

Heres a good article.. http://www.team-integra.net/se...D=301

Let me know if that wasn't the problem, i just dropped my transmission out, drained and filled it last weekend so its pretty fresh in my mind</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was using the helms, and I don't think I had the filler hole and the drain hole mixed up. The filler hole is the one behind the cv boot, and the drain plug doesnt need a socket in order to remove it - right?

I'll see if I can get a picture of the drain hole. If something is stuck in there is there any way around to flush and put new fluid in? Maybe through the VSS and let the old fluid overflow through the filler?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .one lane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was using the helms, and I don't think I had the filler hole and the drain hole mixed up. The filler hole is the one behind the cv boot, and the drain plug doesnt need a socket in order to remove it - right?</TD></TR></TABLE>
the drain plug is a 17mm bolt, yes you need a socket
Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 AM
.likes trains

Default Re: Replacing tranny fluid seeking advice!!!! (VtecAdvantage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecAdvantage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the drain plug is a 17mm bolt, yes you need a socket</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not the drain bolt. That's the filler plug. The drain bolt is the one that has that square indentation. The picture below (which i posted in my pervious post) is straight from the helms itself.

-edit-

here's another picture.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .one lane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's not the drain bolt. That's the filler plug. The drain bolt is the one that has that square indentation. The picture below (which i posted in my pervious post) is straight from the helms itself.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

So did you use a 3/8 ratchet to get the drain plug out or not? You are correct, the 17mm is the fill.