Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission or Clutch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or Clutch Problem?

Alright, I have had my JDM D15b in for about 8 months now, ever since I put it in, it always had a slight grind in third, but at really high RPM's it will grind 2nd and 3rd so bad that usually I cant get it into gear at all, also, I can't downshift if I am going any kind of speed over normal, example: "in 3rd gear, going 40 mph, I want to downshift into 2nd to get my RPM's up and get a pull" it will not let me do this, I would have to slow down to about 20 mph to get it into 2nd and then take it back up to 40 mph, over the past several nights the temprature has gotten down to about 35-40 degree's, and I have noticed, when I crank the car up and let it warm up just slightly, I can launch really good, shift into 2nd, spin, shift into third and get really good pulls all without grinding, but when the car warms up, it starts to grind again, I just picked up another Ex tranny and just bought a brand new clutch and flywheel, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could cause this or if anyone has had a similar problem. Thanks for the HELP!

BTW: replaced the slave a few months ago, clutch pedal was adjusted recently, resovoir has fluid.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch Problem? (SandstormGT)

YEP <---third gear Grinds. your problem is your syncronizers in your transmision when thay get to be worn thay start grinding. heres a link to learn how syncronizers work check it out its pretty interesting.

----> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission6.htm

and Heres a link to a good site to buy new syncros if you decide to replace them.

----> http://gearspeedinc.com/products.htm

Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll bet you have a short shift kit in it, don't you?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch Problem? (Cookie)

Right, Matt. Sounds like he is pounding the hell out of it. Or somebody did.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way your transmission probly doesn't grind when its cold because when your transmission fluid is cold its thicker and helps make the worn synchros work better. and when your car warms up the fluid gets thin and the synchros grind.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks you very much for the answers, and no, I have never really "pounded on my car" , when I got the ECU chipped I had the rev limiter set 500 RPM's less than stock redline and I never abuse the clutch/tranny, every once in awhile I just like to get on it, but I can't ever do that because H-Motors Online sells Fucked up motors/transmissions. Maybe I will actually be able to see what the little beast can do with a new tranny/clutch/flywheel. Again, thanks for all your answers, and thanks for the link Matt!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SandstormGT)

no problem man, Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

What kind of fluid are you running?

I bought a used tranny and it had a slight grind that got progressively worse...

Well I went to go change the fluid and it was like half water... I had filled it up with the stock amount and drained off the excess when I installed too.

Drained it filled it drove it drained again... still like 30pct water... I did that 3 times before it came out clean...

Grind basically disappeared. I used Penzoil Synchromesh MTL. Previous tranny to that had a VERY slight grind and some bearing noise (pretty bad bearing noise) and I switched to Redline MTL and EVERYTHING went away and I put another 120k miles on the car before I finally replaced the trans... It NEVER failed though.

I'm gunna put Redline in this one too at the next change.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I will look into that, buddy of mine said that since it seems to work completely fine when its cold, then obviously the syncro's arent "gone" but he suggested that when it warms up, that rubber hose that goes to the slave might expand and bulge out instead of holding the pressure and sending it to the slave, so im gunna try to get a stainless line for it and some really good tranny fluid and see what I cant pull out of it.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

synchros take FOREVER to completely "go"...

It makes sense that it happens when it's cold because as previously mentioned the oil is thicker at lower temperatures... so the fluid offers more bite to the gear... once it's warm it's too slippery...

It's almost definately a problem with the tranny fluid... My car has 212k miles on it and I've never replaces ANY hoses on the clutch master/slave lines. The resivoir and slave both have excess of required travel/force... so a swelling line won't cause improper engagement... and if it did your clutch would STINK.

What fluid is in the trans NOW?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 AM

I had the exact same problem in my sol (d16z6)... happened at about 98k..

My synchros went to complete crap. My stock clutch had 2 of the springs in the clutch plate gone. So I assume your clutch is fried if you cant even shift out or in. And if your grinding gates like that your synchros are in poor shape. Yeah you will fix it alright with a EX tranny (assuming the tranny has low miles and/or is in decent shape) clutch and flywheel.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission or Clutch Problem? (Jack8788)

Same thing hapened to me. My clutch took a crap and **** some springs. During which, the clutch would never full disengauge equalling grindage.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack8788 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the exact same problem in my sol (d16z6)... happened at about 98k..

My synchros went to complete crap. My stock clutch had 2 of the springs in the clutch plate gone. So I assume your clutch is fried if you cant even shift out or in. And if your grinding gates like that your synchros are in poor shape. Yeah you will fix it alright with a EX tranny (assuming the tranny has low miles and/or is in decent shape) clutch and flywheel. </TD></TR></TABLE>