Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swapping Chassis Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Chassis Harness

To begin, I have a 94 DX coupe non vtec. A good member of honda-tech is sending me an ex harness to help with my B16A swap. My question is, how hard is it to swap the harnesses? Also where to do I look for directions and where to begin. Would helms have it?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Swapping Chassis Harness (meagainsttheworld)

the honda factory service manual has a pretty good layout of all the conenctors on the engine harness, in a nice table, if that helps any, but the only thing im worried about with that is the swap for the fuse panels, since both harnesses utilize somewhat different components, you might have a nightmare sorting out what goes where, http://www.spoonhonda.com has some mauals for most honda cars.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The EX harness will save some time wiring up the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch to the shock tower plugs, but you will still need to wire the knock sensor to the shock tower plugs. Also, you'll need to run those three wires from the shock tower plugs to the ECU.

I hope you are getting the harness for free, you are not saving too much trouble.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your getting a ex engine or chassis harness??
Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slopoke)

chassis harness
Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping Chassis Harness (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the honda factory service manual has a pretty good layout of all the conenctors on the engine harness, in a nice table, if that helps any, but the only thing im worried about with that is the swap for the fuse panels, since both harnesses utilize somewhat different components, you might have a nightmare sorting out what goes where, http://www.spoonhonda.com has some mauals for most honda cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Most of the things I read about swapping harnesses had nothing to do with the fuse panel. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:52 PM

pull out the cluster and the dash, you will find your way from there
Old 08-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping Chassis Harness (hott95ej2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hott95ej2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull out the cluster and the dash, you will find your way from there</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really, I have to do all that? Do you suggest just wiring the vtec, oil pressure, and knock sensor, instead of changing the whole harness.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this is kind of a n00by question, but I have never done this before. How do you connect a wire to the ecu. Do you hook it up to the plug and plug that into the ECU or solder or what? I'm talking about the knock sensor.

Modified by meagainsttheworld at 7:25 PM 8/2/2006

Modified by meagainsttheworld at 7:25 PM 8/2/2006
Old 08-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really, I have to do all that? Do you suggest just wiring the vtec, oil pressure, and knock sensor, instead of changing the whole harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Your talking about running 3 wires
vs.
pulling the dash and all of the interior. The chassis harness runs up throughout the dash(to your gauge cluster, blower motor, ingnition switch, headlight and blinker switches) then back out into the engine bay to to the head lights and stuff.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea but I still have to move my current harness over to the other side in the engine bay because im getting a jdm motor and they are for rhd. Could I just extend the wires on the harness or what?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (meagainsttheworld)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well this is kind of a n00by question, but I have never done this before. How do you connect a wire to the ecu. Do you hook it up to the plug and plug that into the ECU or solder or what? I'm talking about the knock sensor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wires run to the ecu, where they are crimped to little metal pins. The pins slide into the back of the ecu connectors. When you clip the connector into the ecu, the ecu pins and the connector pins make contact.

All honda obd1 ecu connectors are the same. So you can plug an integra ecu into your civic harness. Your civic harness is just missing a few wires, but there are empty slots in the ecu connectors. So all you need to do is run wires to them, crimp pins on, and plug them in.

For someone in your position, a pre-made vtec subharness wouldnt be a bad idea.
Companies like HAsport.com and Rywire.com make them.

They are harnesses with the vtec and knock sensor plugs on one side and the correct ecu pins on the other. So all you have to do is plug everything in.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea but I still have to move my current harness over to the other side in the engine bay because im getting a jdm motor and they are for rhd. Could I just extend the wires on the harness or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who told you that?
You dont have to do anything with chassis harness on your car.

If you are getting a JDM motor and you want to use the JDM harness, you just stretch the engine harness, not the chassis harness.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who told you that?
You dont have to do anything with chassis harness on your car.

If you are getting a JDM motor and you want to use the JDM harness, you just stretch the engine harness, not the chassis harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What do you mean by stretch? Like literally stretch?

Also where do I get pins for the ECU? Or will the P30 already have some? And how do the wires connect to the knock sensor, and vtec selinoid? Sorry never seen these things before, well at least never paid attention to them.

Modified by meagainsttheworld at 3:36 PM 8/3/2006
Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stretch my *** mine wouldn't fit they were way to short you have to switch them to the other sides of the motor
Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ablack934doorcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ablack934doorcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stretch my *** mine wouldn't fit they were way to short you have to switch them to the other sides of the motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bullshit.
I have personally used a RHD harness in my LHD car.

The big plugs that connect to the chassis harness are just on the wrong side.
All I did was cut some of the wire loom on the chassis harness side, so the plugs can reach a little farther.

The only wire that I couldnt get to reach was the thick white wire that runs from the alternator to the fuse box. I just used that wire out of my stock civic harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also where do I get pins for the ECU? Or will the P30 already have some? And how do the wires connect to the knock sensor, and vtec selinoid? Sorry never seen these things before, well at least never paid attention to them.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can get pins from harnesses at junk yards or you can probably just buy them from one of these companies that make harnesses.
For the knock sensor, vtec solenoid, and vtec pressure switch, you need to get the connectors from another harness and add wires to them.

If you arent comfortable with wiring, you can purchase subharnesses, like this:
http://rywire.com/store/9295-c...84d9b
Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he is right about that it may actually be easier to wire them seperatly i didn't think about what you'd have to do to get the wires in mine is already apart. and besides that. slopoke you are right about the wire harness i didn't do what you did but what i did was take the wire harness from my stock motor and put it on the jdm motor i guess if you cut it they would stretch. i'm sorry about that
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you arent comfortable with wiring, you can purchase subharnesses, like this:
http://rywire.com/store/9295-c...84d9b</TD></TR></TABLE>
I am comfortable and ready to learn, that is why I am asking so many questions. I hope it's not a bother. I just want to make sure I do it the right way.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the knock sensor, vtec solenoid, and vtec pressure switch, you need to get the connectors from another harness and add wires to them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is there another way to hook up the connectors? Would I be able to use connectors off of my d15 engine harness? I know I dont have vtec or vtec pressure or knock sensor, but is there any other connectors I could use off of there?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpy