Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap questions reguarding insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap questions reguarding insurance.

Hello I'm just wondering that if I were to swap a b18c1 into my VX would I have to tell the insurance company? I've heard that if you don't tell them that they can back out when you crash and not have to cover you. Theres a lot of people who've done swaps, so do you tell the insurance company that youve swapped the motor or does it not matter?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Swap questions reguarding insurance. (CapnKrunch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello I'm just wondering that if I were to swap a b18c1 into my VX would I have to tell the insurance company? I've heard that if you don't tell them that they can back out when you crash and not have to cover you. Theres a lot of people who've done swaps, so do you tell the insurance company that youve swapped the motor or does it not matter?

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mind telling us which insurance company you have? Most insurance companies won't back out for **** like that. They get more pissed at the guys with the quick release steering wheels 'n **** when they get into an accident where the air bags shoulda deployed (but were removed) then have the ***** to claim personal injury.

The adjuster probably won't even know the difference, I've never heard of them checking block codes. Think he knows which motors came in which car?

The only thing I could see is him checking the VIN # on the dash or door jam against the engine VIN # (which I've still never heard of an adjuster doing, but is possible). Though if you have a receipt for the engine that's not a problem. Though even if you don't...I've still never heard of an adjuster doing that.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and not all b-series engines came with vins from honda, did they?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap questions reguarding insurance. (Syndacate)

I have Geico. Ah I see. So I'm thinking that I'm not gonna tell them. But if I did how much would my insurance premiums go up?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have Geico. Ah I see. So I'm thinking that I'm not gonna tell them. But if I did how much would my insurance premiums go up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dunno, don't think anybody has ever told their insurance company since the history of swaps .

Geico sucks (just FYI). They'll assfuck you so hard when you get into an accident. I've seen it done, it's not pretty. Your fault or not, doesn't matter to them, they'll expletive you so hard you'll cry, and then when you regain consciousness, they'll expletive you again.

Don't bother telling them. And switch companies while ur not telling them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisw85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and not all b-series engines came with vins from honda, did they?</TD></TR></TABLE>

USDM manufactured? I haven't heard of a USDM manufactured engine that didn't have a VIN # on it, but that doesn't mean they don't exist I suppose.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

expletive that. dont tell them. they;'re going to either raise your rates or drop you. expletive them.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if you are worried about liability, no need to worry. but, if you want the motor covered in case the car gets stolen, you need to let them know, then pay more of a premium.

ever since i swapped one of my cars, i had let the insurance company know, because i wanted comprehensive coverage on the swap. when i first did the swap, with all my additional parts, i paid $600 a year on top of what i was already paying. some may balk at an additional $600 for insurance, but when you put 15k worth of parts into the car, and it gets stolen, insurance will only give you book value for the car, which is nothing really. the car was covered for $30,000 total, minus deductable. imho, $600 for piece of mind, is worth it. hell, that was 8 years ago. there are STILL posts about eg's being jacked....
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap questions reguarding insurance. (Rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, if you are worried about liability, no need to worry. but, if you want the motor covered in case the car gets stolen, you need to let them know, then pay more of a premium.

ever since i swapped one of my cars, i had let the insurance company know, because i wanted comprehensive coverage on the swap. when i first did the swap, with all my additional parts, i paid $600 a year on top of what i was already paying. some may balk at an additional $600 for insurance, but when you put 15k worth of parts into the car, and it gets stolen, insurance will only give you book value for the car, which is nothing really. the car was covered for $30,000 total, minus deductable. imho, $600 for piece of mind, is worth it. hell, that was 8 years ago. there are STILL posts about eg's being jacked.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that becomes judgmental on how much you have into the car. Like if I did a swap I probably couldn't afford the extra 600/yr. So I wouldn't say anything if I swapped my own car. Though if I had 15 stacks in it I'd probably be in a better position financially to drop the extra 600 a year.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't seem all that bad for extra 50$ a month, but to have to pay that 600$ all up front for the whole year would suck