Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap ECU question, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap ECU question, need help!!!

So I bought a 96 EK hatch with a manual conversion and D16Z6 swapped in. Whoever did the work did some good things and some dumb things. The manual conversion is great, looks really good almost stock except for how far to the right the gas pedal is. That's the good, now for the bad. For some reason they used an ecu from an Acrua Integra LS. So with that said, there is no vtec because it is disconnected and wouldn't be possible to run on it anyway.

My question is about an idle problem. The car idles from 1k to 2k..over and over and over...up down, up down. I was wondering if I put in the correct ecu anyone thinks it would put the idle back where it's supposed to be. I'm pretty sure the ECU I need is a P2P for a 5 speed. It's the one I found for D16's that are OBD2A.

Any answers or info would be very helpful!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap ECU question, need help!!!

I am surprised the car runs at all. Regardless of whether or not it fixes the idle, you need the right ecu
Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Well the question I have is how many check engine lights do you have? The reason I say that is the Z6 doesn't have a CKF sensor by the crank so its probably throwing a code for that. Also are any plugs dangling not plugged in? If you convert ECU's to OBD1 and use the P28 ECU it'll be your best bet ECU wise and you can eliminate a lot of your issues. Using the P2P ECU is going to cause a few more check engine light issues as it uses a knock sensor as well and the Z6 engine doesn't have one.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Trial User

Ok so I took your advice and got the jumper and a P28. My buddy has a GSR converted to type R and a Crx with the GSR motor swapped in and boosted waiting on the epic AWD kit that should be installed this spring! He had an extra P28 and I ordered the jumper online. Once they get here I should be hooking it up and hooking up the vtec so the car runs like it should.

Once I get that fixed it's time to start saving for parts. Plan to build this car for turbo. I'll get some pictures of the car as it is now up and start a build page. Here's a list of what the car came with:

Vis carbonfiber hatch
AGX 8-way adjustable coilovers
Skunk2 lower control arms
Megan tiebar
front strut bar

Paid $2500 for the car and don't think I got too bad of a deal.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dee6teen
The manual conversion is great, looks really good almost stock except for how far to the right the gas pedal is.
Considering the fact that all the hole for the clutch pedal is already cut out of the automatic firewall and it's simply a matter of swapping the pedals that scares me.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Considering the fact that all the hole for the clutch pedal is already cut out of the automatic firewall and it's simply a matter of swapping the pedals that scares me.
Well sorry this is my first Honda build. Didn't realize this. The gas pedal thing is true though...in my buddy's 99EX the gas pedal isn't as far to the right as it is in my 96. Never had to do a manual conversion myself and have no experience with it. Sorry for my ignorence I'm just here to learn from you guys and make sure my build comes out nice!! Thank you for your response though!