Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run.

Hi, I'm helping a buddy with his timing belt change. It's a 2000 Civic EX with a D16Y8. I'm not a Honda guy, so forgive me if some of my terminology is incorrect.

Yesterday:
We took it all apart, made sure everything was lined up, and swapped belts. We also put a new waterpump and belt tensioner in. Rotated the engine a few times by hand, (why in the hell do Honda engines spin backward?), adjusted the belt tension and tightened down the tensioner. We put it all back together and it doesn't want to start. It sounds like 1 cylinder is firing while the other 3 are not.

Today:
Went back out and too it all apart again because I thought maybe the belt had jumped a tooth when it tried to start the first time. Everything looked fine. The TDC mark on the crank sprocket deal lines up perfectly with the arrow on the block and at the same time the cam gear spoke that says "UP" is up, and the 2 dash marks on the gear are level with the top of the cylinder head. I re-tensioned the belt for good measure while we were in there.

Thinking that maybe we damaged the CKF sensor, I took it out and measured its resistance between pins 1 and 3 and came up with 2.1 which is in spec by what I've found.

We put everything back together and lined everything up to TDC with the crank pulley on just to make sure, and the cam gear lined up to TDC perfectly.

Jump in the car and try to start it, no dice. Sounds the exact same as the previous day.

So I'm stumped:
-Everything appears to be perfectly in time.
-The car does not throw any ECU codes when jumpering the 2 pin plug and watching the Check Engine light.
- There is spark to all 4 plugs, however it is weak in my opinion. Orangeish spark.
-When we were cranking it over for the first time yesterday, I smelled raw fuel like it was dumping gas. I pulled the plugs out and they were wet with fuel.

I don't have a compression tester or a timing light here at the moment but I'll probably try and get one later.

So, is there anything we missed, or have any idea on what to check next?

Modified by Stanello at 11:51 AM 6/14/2008
Old 06-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run. (Stanello)

Well you need air/spark/fuel to run. If it is indeed in time then see if your getting spark, you ignition timing may be too far off. On that cam gear (at least with a z6 sohc) it has a 3rd mark, at maybe a 7'o clock position compared to a clock that it supposed to be lined up with a arrow on the plastic t-belt cover on the side of the motor.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run. (z6hatchboy)

may sound stupid but are the wires in the correct order?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run. (h22 civic)

Yeah they are. They're NGKs so they're numbered too.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run. (Stanello)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stanello &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, I'm helping a buddy with his timing belt change. It's a 2000 Civic EX with a D1

So, is there anything we missed, or have any idea on what to check next?

Modified by Stanello at 11:51 AM 6/14/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Car was running properly before the timing belt change, correct?

Do you have the Helm manual? If not get one. http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals

You will need to troubleshoot the no start condition in the troubleshooting section of the manual. It literally covers every possibility for a no start. Until you do this, you're liable to check the same stuff over and over again.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped: Changed timing belt, now doesn't run. (jadziasman)

GOT IT RUNNING!

It ended up being the vac line came off the cruise control module, and it was semi-flooded. Runs very well now.

Thanks to all that helped!