Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

squeel when i shift from 1st to second

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeel when i shift from 1st to second

lately ive noticed that when i rip it, then shift to second, i hear a high pitched squeel

any ideas?

this tranny been giving me some problems, some say its TOB, and someone else said just throw the tranny away :-P

any ideas?

its a stock
d16y8 and the trans is doodo i think

Old 03-20-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (Fugun)

those are your wheels spinning .. Maybe try changing your fluid
Old 03-20-2005, 11:57 PM

if you try driving properly that squeeling sound wouldnt be present. therefore, your trans wouldnt be doodo.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (sprinthart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sprinthart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you try driving properly that squeeling sound wouldnt be present. therefore, your trans wouldnt be doodo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats neither here nor there
Old 03-21-2005, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (Ls_V_TurboSi)

I bet its your clutch being emo...
Old 03-22-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (liam821)

maybe i mean like there are other sounds that come from the tranny tooo

when driving, then downshifting, to slow down, or just leting off gas, i get some kind of rubbing noise, like metal on metal, when i press the clutch it immediatly goes away,

:-\

hahaaa

currently using ACT stage2 clutch
Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a throwout bearing to me...
Old 03-22-2005, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

letting out the gas when your at high speeds in low gear?????
Old 03-22-2005, 01:24 AM

throw out bearing i had similar problems, when i down shifted
it soudns like somones peeling out but really quietly and like it from the engine bay. thats what mine sounded like. its not terrible. but should get fixed
Old 03-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fugun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">currently using ACT stage2 clutch</TD></TR></TABLE>Any chance this was recently installed?

If you press in the clutch and the noise goes away, it's probably your throwout bearing. If the clutch was recently installed, you need to let the bearing wear in by driving very gently for a few hundred miles.

If you don't let the bearing wear in properly then it's going to make a lot of bad noises. It should be a little noisier than usual during the break in period, but generally that's more of a rubbing sound than squealing or grinding.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:00 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fugun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some say its TOB, and someone else said just throw the tranny away </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls_V_TurboSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Maybe try changing your fluid</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a throwout bearing to me...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i love these answers... hilarious

sounds like your problem is twofold:

the high pitched squeal is the clutch disc springs. many aftermarket clutches make that sound when the springs are done. my truck is doing the exact same thing, and is due for a clutch soon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fugun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when driving, then downshifting, to slow down, or just leting off gas, i get some kind of rubbing noise, like metal on metal, when i press the clutch it immediatly goes away</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds like mainshaft/other bearings inside the transmission.

Modified by Rodney at 9:11 AM 3/22/2005
Old 03-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (Rodney)

Is it possible that it could be belt noise?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fugun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when driving, then downshifting, to slow down,</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you engine break, and the revs jump up fast, you can get belt noise if they're loose. Just a thought before you go tearing into the tranny.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (EX_AutoXer)

When you press the clutch pedal to the floor and the noise goes away, it can't be the throwout bearing because the throwout bearing doesn't contact anything when the clutch is engaged. When you press the clutch pedal down the throwout bearing contacts the pressure plate release fingers, that's when you would hear a noise if the throwout bearing was bad. If you've got noise when the clutch is engaged or when you disengage the clutch, it could be a couple of things. 1-it could be the pilot bearing, 2-could be a transmission related problem such as damaged synchronizer (since you said it's only between 1-2 shifts), 3- or it could be something to do with you input and countershaft bearings. There are many things that it would be, so don't single just one thing out yet. You'll need to do a couple of proper checks to see where abouts the noise is exactly coming from. If you can get a buddy to get in your car and you outside listening in the engine bay, have him push the clutch to the floor and see if you get a "growling" noise such as bad bearings.. if you do then you have a bad throwout bearing. Have him start engaging the clutch with the brakes depressed to load the clutch and input and counter shafts and see if you get any type of grinding noises.. also check to see if there are any noises without the clutch pressed down. If you get noise without the clutch pressed down, then you could have a faulty pilot bearing and or countershaft/mainshaft bearings. If you hear noise with the transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal not pressed down, you should drain the transmission fluid in a CLEAN drain pan and check for metallic material in the fluid. If this is present, you should start checking around for a new transmission and/or finding a place that can rebuild yours.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (r3dh4tch)

thanks, hrm redhatch, ill have my friend run those tests with me...

i plan to boost on this car heh so i think i should make sure the tranny is okay first? :-P

Old 03-23-2005, 02:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

word
Old 03-23-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (menkio)

mine was a belt, when i would down shift the rpm jump would cause a huge whining noise, i also thought it was my tranny till i checked my belts.

check the cheap stuff first, then go for the big stuff
Old 03-24-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: squeel when i shift from 1st to second (civiccpedx)

thanks but i think im pretty sure its not the belt, changed them out, and i stil had the noise... i had the noise when i first got the car, and i still had the noise after changing the belts and did a tuneup... so dooodooo :'(