Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer going crazy, Not VSS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer going crazy, Not VSS

I have a 93 Civic DX Hatch with a speedometer that went haywire several months ago. (Odomoter not working properly either) Today, I disconnected the VSS, took it apart, re-insalled it, and found the speedometer read 0. I then replaced the VSS with an new aftermarket one, and the speedometer still doesn't work. I checked the plug, and the Yellow-White wire reads ~4 volts, and the Black is continuous with ground. The only thing I have't checked is the middle wire. Any thougths on what might be the problem? Any help appreciated.

Frank
Old 06-23-2004, 06:18 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump for this guy, as my car has done the same exact thing, and my new VSS is on it's way here right now.....

when you replaced your vss, did you replace the whole thing? or did you just replace the part that connects to the harness? or just the part that connects to the tranny?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: (ShadyEH2)

I replaced both parts. I think I am going to cut off the harness plug and solder on some connectors. Hopefully, the problem is right there at the connnector and not somewhere else.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedometer going crazy, Not VSS (Frankelstein)

check incar fuse box. the same fuse runs o2/vss/tach i beleive. if u keep driving it ur battery will die..giving symptoms of bad alternator. but ur alt will be good. check fuses
Old 06-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DUDE ITS THE FUSES

Same thing happened in my car, check the incar fuses real carefully. I forget which one did it, but out of the blue the speedo would go insane and a variety of other problems. It might be the alt fuse, one of em, check em all its definitely a fuse 100%
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

Normally it's lack of power to the speedo. Unless you've changed some of your wiring, I'd have to say fuse also. Just replace it, even if it looks good, they're cheap enough its worth a shot.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

i have the same problem with my ek...speedo just doesnt work, and i throw a CEL for the speed sensor...changed my battery out 2 days ago...car died again...ordered a new alternator, but if it is a fuse which one is it...or should i check all of the underdash fuses? what about the fuses in the engine bay? if a fuse is bad, just replace it and feel relief? or is something causing the fuse to pop? any help please...sorry to steal your post, but i hate driving without vtec
Old 06-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah its an underdash fuse, dont get a new alt, get ur battery back, its fine i bet. Same thing happened to me heres the story ill try to keep it short:

driving back from beach, speedo goin crazy. Stop at stoplight and car dies and wont start again. I THOUGHT THE BATT WAS DEAD TOO. I walk to pep boys get another batt put it in and it starts (this is only a coincidence!). Drive home with the crazy speedo. Then my car acts like its dead again, so naturally im like the alt must be bad. I take it to advance auto to check the alt and its fine. After painstakingly going through the underdash fuses i found the mangled bitch fuse. Your batteries are prob fine, your alt is def fine, its the fuses! I would never have believed it until it happened to me, one fuse, yet so much chaos. Oh, and this all happened to me in an EK@!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

just checked the fuse and the "alternator/speed sensor fuse" now im going to get my alternator checked just in case and put this **** back together...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (emoney9)

i keep blowing the same fuse. sometimes it will be fine for a week then all of a sudden i cant keep a fuse in it, then the car runs like terd. My secondary O2 wire is all hacked up so thats prolly my problem. we had to splice and reconnect a few times and we extended the wires, and didnt soulder the conections just twist and tape. the car is a 98 civic DX. I went through 2 packs of 7.5 amp fues last weekend at the Sediv event trying to keep the CEL off
Old 06-24-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Re: (ZUL8R)

My problems just keep getting worse. I cut the harness plug off and soldered some new conncetors on to reconnect the VSS. It still didn't work. I was then messing around with the wires, and pop, the black and yellow/white wires touched. Now, my car won;t start. It turns over fine, but then nothing. I checked the fuses and they all seemed fine. This situation has gone from bad to worse. Please help.

S
Old 06-25-2004, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Frankelstein)

it isnt the main alternator fuse,, that would be like a 50 amp fuse. the one we are all talking about is the fuse under the dash, i think it is like slot 15, they are numbered. its a 7.5 amp fuse.

Now ive been drvivng the car for 2 days and no light

Old 06-25-2004, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (ZUL8R)

the fuse is a 15 amp fuse...look at your diagram and it shoul say alt/ sp sensor or something in that nature...changed this last night and put alternator back in, had to bump start my car, but let it run for 30 minutes to an hour, and it should be good.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:41 AM
New User

Ive had the same problem for over a year. I've had 2 new VSS's put in, but didnt solve it. I think mine is the plug. If I drive through lots of rain, the next day my speedo will work, and continue working for a few days until it starts goin wild again and then finally wont work again. Weird.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Frankelstein)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frankelstein &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I replaced both parts. I think I am going to cut off the harness plug and solder on some connectors. Hopefully, the problem is right there at the connnector and not somewhere else.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is what I had to do and it fixed the problem. Those pins are fragile. So by plugging and unplugging it can cause them to break or just move around too much.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jackson)

spray some brake cleaner in the vss and then hit it with some compressed air should work fine (mine did)