Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

VSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS

Teg doesnt register speed or odomoter. I thought it was the VSS. Swapped VSS and it still doesnt work. It started working out of the blue for like 20 seconds (out of driving it 5 or 6 times and roughly 50 miles of driving total). Could it be in the tranny? Need help getting it going. Not having the speedometer working could be trouble so I am not driving the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS (hitekper4mance)

Anyone have any suggestions as how to remedy this problem??
Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the pins on the plug and connector, You'd probably be shocked to see the BLK/YEL wire rusting away green, and the pins no longer making correct contact.

9/10 cases in which I see this that is the culprit.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS (slowcivic2k)

thanks. I will check it out. Never had a problem with it before. I took a hard corner one day and just stopped working. If that doesnt correct the problem I'll be back for more opinions.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the connectors and they look to be pretty clean and still intact. The code 17 refers to the VSS. But, I also have seen that 17 refers to the vss voltage. I know the sensor itself is good because i can swap it with my other car and works fine there. The VSS on the car works off and on. I am stumped. Any more suggestions as to what to look for??
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you certain when you plug it in, the pins are making solid contact? This was a problem I was having, and I fixed it simply by bending the roll contacts in the wire harness plug a little bit.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just checked to see if the plug was damaged and whether or not the contacts were rusted or pulled out of place. They "look" to be perfectly fine. It does seem like there is a short somewhere but, I can not figure out where or how to find it.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked your grounds? do you have any other codes?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS (CivicVX94)

What grounds should i check for. Transmission has its ground. Engine has its ground. Battery is grounded. I can unbolt the grounds and just recheck em. I know with all the electronics now days in cars that anything is possible!! The only other code that it read was the IAC I think. Once i reset the ecu the only one that keeps coming up is 17. The IAC hasnt come back. i really appreciate any suggestions and ideas. Thanks. Keep em coming!!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would double check the grounds and make sure they're nice and clean and have a good connection. the vss is a powered sensor so if a ground is loose it might not be getting power, if thats not the case i would guess the problem lies in the wiring harness...have you switched out the WHOLE vss and not just the top portion of it? maybe the bottom section is fubar'd?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VSS (CivicVX94)

Yeah, I unbolted I think its the 10mm bolt that holds it to the tranny. Swapped it with a known working VSS and I still have the same problem.

Example. I was driving to work today. Gauge worked fine. Started the car up, jumped on the highway going to the bank. Went to the bank. Jumped back on the highway... driving on the highway....out of nowhere it just dropped to zero mph and stopped working. I bet when I leave work it will start working again and then stop later. this sometimes does sometimes doesnt thing is frustrating. Trying to sell the car so I want all these glitches fixed.

I am assuming that if whatever gear it rests on in the tranny was broken, the car wouldnt drive would it? I just want to rule out that its not in the tranny.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The speedo gears are plastic, and I've never seen one break. I've see one wear out, because the diff bearings failed.

I am almost positive its the connector itself, this sounds EXACTLY like my old problem, swapped VSS's and it still happened, it would read for a few minutes, then cut out, then it wouldn't work at all, then it would.

If the gauge is working fine at random points, then you know the gears for it are fine, its purely electrical
Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya mine did something like that too, but it was worse b/c i had 2step on my ecu set at 3k rpm, so b/c the vss was shot the ecu thought the car was in neutral and i couldn't rev past 3k rpm lol it sucked, free bump for you..
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The speedo gears are plastic, and I've never seen one break. I've see one wear out, because the diff bearings failed.

I am almost positive its the connector itself, this sounds EXACTLY like my old problem, swapped VSS's and it still happened, it would read for a few minutes, then cut out, then it wouldn't work at all, then it would.

If the gauge is working fine at random points, then you know the gears for it are fine, its purely electrical</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. That gives me huge comfort as far as correcting this. As of right now, I havent done anything to the car and its been working for the past day. Of course I only drive 5 miles max a day and its like a third car for me so it doesnt see a lot of drving.