Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Solution to Cold Air intake Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 Solution to Cold Air intake Cons?

Hi all
Just got my first car and started modding it "95 honda civic 1.3 eg....heres few a pics

Mods still to come

Rota gt3's(not sure what colour yet)
Painting bonnet/hood black
K&N Air intake filter with custom piping
Lowering springs
New Plates
Splitters all round
Seat Covers
And a few stickers ie. Shocker

Now i always had it in my mind that i was putting a cold air intake on my car but this is where it sits in the wheel bay...as seen below.BUT there is a possibility of it sucking up water and hydrolocking my engine!

My idea is to put a hood scoop right on the hood where the intake is and put a short ram intake there instead of a cold air...that way the short ram is getting a direct supply of cold air without the disadvantage of being down by the wheel bay where there is a possibility of it sucking up water

Now I Know there is MANY hood scoops but there all HUGE and look gay to be honest so i have here a picture of the front of a blista compact off Gta I.V and i want the scoop to look like that - Prefferebly round but i dont really mind!!the other is a set of vents on a toyota altezza i would like just one and that it would have no crazy dimensions....SO any idea where ill get either?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP
Attached Images        
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solution to Cold Air intake Cons?

wrong forum bro
Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about doing that

But...I've been running a CAI for 2 years in florida where it rains quite allot, no problems here.

Just make sure to keep your stock fenderflares and splash guard nice and compact around the filter behind the bumper. I even modded mine a little so it's almost impossible for water to splash up there.

As long as you don't fully submerge your filter you're fine.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please dont put a hood scoop on your poor car

I ran a cai on my eclipse for 8 years, the filter was sitting right behind a hole in the front bumper.. you can get it wet as hell and as long as you dont stick the whole front end of your car underwater you will be fine. and if you submerge your car enough to suck water like a straw you will probably have other things to worry about as well.

listen, when your done doing what your describing the car is gonna look like pep-boys threwup all over it. You -can- however do what you want, its your car. Although one day you will realize how gay stickers all over your car are, and seat covers blow when you can save a little more money and get some teggy seats or something better.

dont nickle and dime stupid crap from pep-boys when you can save that money for acouple more weeks and get something that will actually make your car work better.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all your input but i live in ireland where it always rains and the roads are **** so floods are common - so submerging is a possibililty....THIS IS MY FIRST CAR i dont mean putting greddy and nos stickers on just these two-small one of this in windscreen http://seoulbeats.com/wp-content/upl...seoulbeats.jpg and a small one of these http://www.tantomotor.com/wp-content...oshinoya11.jpg shocker is 5 cm height and 3 cm wide and the new driver 2 cm x 2 cm ...seat covers cost €20 where i work in a car shop and look good http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/123299?$prod$...cityslicker1606 i really dont care what you think.....im basing it on this car http://img155.imageshack.us/content_...pg&via=mupload

I NEVER THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE THIS MUCH ***S DISSING YOUR CAR AS SOON AS YOU UPLOAD

thanks to all who helped though
Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a clean car, please don't do the hood scoop and paint **** black, it looks really good the way it is paint/body wise... Just run a short ram or something, or keep it stock airbox and just a decent drop in filter if you insist. I have a shocker sticker so I cant say much lol, but thats the only one you can see along with my I heart haters sticker under my hood. Seat covers=gay, upgrade to nicer seats if you want a different look along with it being more comforatble. Suspension upgrade is a good idea though.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm_eg_jdm
Hi all
Just got my first car and started modding it "95 honda civic 1.3 eg....heres few a pics

Mods still to come

Rota gt3's(not sure what colour yet)
Painting bonnet/hood black
K&N Air intake filter with custom piping
Lowering springs
New Plates
Splitters all round
Seat Covers
And a few stickers ie. Shocker

Now i always had it in my mind that i was putting a cold air intake on my car but this is where it sits in the wheel bay...as seen below.BUT there is a possibility of it sucking up water and hydrolocking my engine!

My idea is to put a hood scoop right on the hood where the intake is and put a short ram intake there instead of a cold air...that way the short ram is getting a direct supply of cold air without the disadvantage of being down by the wheel bay where there is a possibility of it sucking up water

Now I Know there is MANY hood scoops but there all HUGE and look gay to be honest so i have here a picture of the front of a blista compact off Gta I.V and i want the scoop to look like that - Prefferebly round but i dont really mind!!the other is a set of vents on a toyota altezza i would like just one and that it would have no crazy dimensions....SO any idea where ill get either?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP
An intake doesn't offer much performance gain at all. Neither the cold air or short ram variety will give performance gains worth cutting holes in your car.

Most of the mods you listed will be frowned upon by the members on this site btw.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to have an eg3 like dat an believe me none of dat intake stuff will make any difference in power. its just a waste of money mate
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks everyone i'm really taking this on board but i think i'll stick with the seat covers....lots of people have them where i am and there fine....i would like to upgrade to recaros or something but not on this car maybe when i sell this and get a vtec.It's going to cost me €2700 to insure this car as im 17 and a first time driver...even though the car is worth €1000 I still have to pay these crazy prices in IrelandI'll ditch the black bonnet and the scoop idea - never really that sure about it anyway

What's wrong with black rota gt3's?
2 Stickers?
Lowering Springs?(Coilovers are expensive this is my FIRST CAR[and at least im not cutting the original springs])
K&N Intake system?
New number plates?
Amber corners?
50 50 (half red half white) tail lights?
And a lip kit (painted not black)

So everyone!What could i do to improve the performance of this car?Can you get a better ecu for a eg3?Please keep in mind i only work part time as i'm still in school so i don't have that much money
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I always have seat covers on my seats, I just like to keep them protected. Plus, with seat covers on, you dont have to worry about spilling coffee or whatever on your seats and ruining them, and ripping your seats or having them fade etc... My seats are mint condition atm, although I have gone through several seat covers. Just dont get ones with enormous dumb graphics on them.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea just these ones here http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/123299?$prod$
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 AM
MiG-21 superfan

OP, in my experiences intakes do make power, but in combination with other certain modifications. cold air intakes cause a resonance phenomenon that gives low end bumps in torque. I used the same old school DC DAC intake with cold air extension on my single cams and later with my GSR swap. all of the graphs from all of those engines showed a low end hump that my tuner, Jeff Evans, said was directly attributed to the intake design.

also, see the hole on the bumper of my old hatch?

behind that, directly behind that, was the filter for my intake. several years before i used to have an awesome home made velocity stack at that hole but a friend destroyed it when marveling at the design, haha. anyway, i live near the ocean in northeastern US. in fact, i lived in a town called "Ocean City" for years. i had that car for 10 years, close to 200k worth of driving with a cold air intake, with that hole, and i never had an issue. my area floods, we have torrential downpours, etc. the ultimate thing is to just be extremely careful. attention to detail is key in avoiding any and all possible submersion.

however, if you are not planning on opening up the engine's breathing at all other than the intake, i'd think twice about spending the money on the intake. HOWEVER, i don't see the harm in fitting a small scoop of some sort on the hood in front of the intake area. if it's done well who cares - people used to do this all the time before honda-tech was even around, guys who pioneered this stuff. i remember several purpose built cars in the mid to late 90's with such integrated small scoops.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Colder air does produce more HP bottom line

If you feel like your gonna drive in 2 feet puddles then skip the CAI intake and go for a classy hood ram why not F these guys
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
H-T White Ops

Colder air on a stock Civic engine will give barely (if at all) noticeable positive performance gains.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Solution to Cold Air intake Cons?

Originally Posted by builthatch
OP, in my experiences intakes do make power, but in combination with other certain modifications. cold air intakes cause a resonance phenomenon that gives low end bumps in torque. I used the same old school DC DAC intake with cold air extension on my single cams and later with my GSR swap. all of the graphs from all of those engines showed a low end hump that my tuner, Jeff Evans, said was directly attributed to the intake design.

also, see the hole on the bumper of my old hatch?

behind that, directly behind that, was the filter for my intake. several years before i used to have an awesome home made velocity stack at that hole but a friend destroyed it when marveling at the design, haha. anyway, i live near the ocean in northeastern US. in fact, i lived in a town called "Ocean City" for years. i had that car for 10 years, close to 200k worth of driving with a cold air intake, with that hole, and i never had an issue. my area floods, we have torrential downpours, etc. the ultimate thing is to just be extremely careful. attention to detail is key in avoiding any and all possible submersion.

however, if you are not planning on opening up the engine's breathing at all other than the intake, i'd think twice about spending the money on the intake. HOWEVER, i don't see the harm in fitting a small scoop of some sort on the hood in front of the intake area. if it's done well who cares - people used to do this all the time before honda-tech was even around, guys who pioneered this stuff. i remember several purpose built cars in the mid to late 90's with such integrated small scoops.
Thanks a lot for the long comment btw love your ek the eye masks look wicked!
I still think i'll go with a short ram cai is just to much of a risk imo....my friends and family would be driving my car and they wouldnt even think about that driving along....to the REST of you the point is that i'm trying to make my car a little faster its about 20ccs off the 1.4 ek engine so its basically the same thing so don't say it wont make any difference on a 1.3 when everyone does it on the ek civic.
Your right i should do what i want with my car black hood looks jdm not ricery but im still not sure whether to do it or not....How would a small hood scoop at the front of the car look bad?
Also do you have any pics of that "home made velocity stack" im not to sure what you mean Im kinda thick!

Sooo guys any idea where i would get my hands on one of these scoops/vents?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
H-T White Ops

i'm trying to make my car a little faster its about 20ccs off the 1.4 ek engine so its basically the same thing so don't say it wont make any difference on a 1.3 when everyone does it on the ek civic.

Your right i should do what i want with my car black hood looks jdm not ricery but im still not sure whether to do it or not....

How would a small hood scoop at the front of the car look bad?

Also do you have any pics of that "home made velocity stack" im not to sure what you mean Im kinda thick!

Sooo guys any idea where i would get my hands on one of these scoops/vents?
It DOES NOT make any positive noticeable difference on a stock EK Civic. I have a 1.6L that I tried both the cold air intake and short ram intake.

The only differences I got on a stock engine were the cold air intake makes it louder (a similar sound can be obtained on some models by removing the resonator in the front bumper) and the short ram intake killed low end power. Yes, it made my car need a bit more gas to get up tiny hills. I don't daily drive much that's not flat ground and just the tiniest hills were becoming a bother.

I wouldn't waste your money, but I know a lot of new owners just want to do SOMETHING to their car.

How is a black hood JDM? Because it looks, from afar (very, very far) like a carbon fiber hood? It looks as JDM as a car that's been in a collision imo. But I never was even one for carbon fiber.

His "black headlight masks" are just painted inner pieces. These are commonly called Type R style headlights. I'm not sure about the design of 5G Civic headlights, but you might be able to do something similar. Or you could buy covers or pieces of vinyl to do the same on the glass itself.

A small scoop that serves no real performance gain would be a poor decision. Later, when/if you grow out of it then you'll need a whole new hood.

Oh, and a cold air intake won't suck up water unless you shove the whole opening under water. Some companies sell bypass valves for this reason too.

Unless you have a fear of driving through a foot or more of water, I really wouldn't worry about it.

At the very least I wouldn't cut into your car or do anything so permanent until you experience the intakes first. If you want to know how it will perform with the hole, take the hood off for a quick drive and see how it performs.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Solution to Cold Air intake Cons?

Originally Posted by NOFX
It DOES NOT make any positive noticeable difference on a stock EK Civic. I have a 1.6L that I tried both the cold air intake and short ram intake.

The only differences I got on a stock engine were the cold air intake makes it louder (a similar sound can be obtained on some models by removing the resonator in the front bumper) and the short ram intake killed low end power. Yes, it made my car need a bit more gas to get up tiny hills. I don't daily drive much that's not flat ground and just the tiniest hills were becoming a bother.

I wouldn't waste your money, but I know a lot of new owners just want to do SOMETHING to their car.

How is a black hood JDM? Because it looks, from afar (very, very far) like a carbon fiber hood? It looks as JDM as a car that's been in a collision imo. But I never was even one for carbon fiber.

His "black headlight masks" are just painted inner pieces. These are commonly called Type R style headlights. I'm not sure about the design of 5G Civic headlights, but you might be able to do something similar. Or you could buy covers or pieces of vinyl to do the same on the glass itself.

A small scoop that serves no real performance gain would be a poor decision. Later, when/if you grow out of it then you'll need a whole new hood.

Oh, and a cold air intake won't suck up water unless you shove the whole opening under water. Some companies sell bypass valves for this reason too.

Unless you have a fear of driving through a foot or more of water, I really wouldn't worry about it.

At the very least I wouldn't cut into your car or do anything so permanent until you experience the intakes first. If you want to know how it will perform with the hole, take the hood off for a quick drive and see how it performs.
I do like your last line thats a good idea but for the rest quit being such a downer...so what if i didnt say painted inner eye pieces eye mask are a nick name they do the same thing except it's on the outside....Have you EVER seen a white civic with a black hood it lookS Savage!

But all in all thanks for the advice on them not making much difference i really appreciate it
Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 PM
H-T White Ops

I do like your last line thats a good idea but for the rest quit being such a downer...so what if i didnt say painted inner eye pieces eye mask are a nick name they do the same thing except it's on the outside....Have you EVER seen a white civic with a black hood it lookS Savage!

But all in all thanks for the advice on them not making much difference i really appreciate it
I wasn't correcting you on what you called the headlights. I was correcting you in what they are because I thought you just plain didn't know.

Yes, I've seen Civics with black hoods. I'm even so lucky that a half silver, half black Civic sedan is in the area I live in. It definitely doesn't look savage. It looks like it was savaged.

I'm not trying to be a downer. I'm just trying to discourage you from making a semi-permanent mistake with your car that costs a lot of money and hassle to fix..
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Like NOFX has stated, there is not any kind of huge gain from a cold air intake, especially on a stock engine. It's funny, most the time you would actually get a good gain would be if it was blistering hot outside, but it's only a couple hp more than a short ram. For the trouble they are, i don't think they are worth it.

Just yesterday, we had a freak storm here with heavy rain pour and flooding.....i saw a guy with a cai on his 300Z go through a drive through, then into a flooded area on the way out...sucked up water....engine was done...bent rods!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your family is gonna drive you can still use a CAI

just use the stock box and remove the resonator box behind the fender, you will have to remove the bumper it's really easy to do

Then run a simple flex tube from the bottom of your stock box to behind the bumper where you just pulled out the resonator

Now you have the filter still inside the engine bay and you're getting colder air from the behind the front bumper

your family can run in puddles all day long you'll be fine

or instead of a flex tube use the piece connected to the resonator , cut it in half and it will be sucking in cold air

I ran this for a long time with no problems

honestly this is better than a short ram as your still using the stock intake, instead now you're pulling in colder air
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well all i got to say is if theres a vent on the hood, and in such a way that water could run into the filter, wouldn't that mess alot of stuff up?

and deetz i saw that on the news it was retarded looking. atleast it aint snow ( YET)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

deetz that is exactly the reason i dont want a cai