Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Custom intake Possible hp gain's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom intake Possible hp gain's?

Here's the thing. I went out to the track an 2 friends of mine had a argument about the amount of air that cant get into a head to produce more hp. And the temp of air and it's effect. That got my noodle spinning.

I've seen custom intake's etc. but has anyone seen any set ups where they are using a wrx style intake on the hood. Could you alter one of there hood mounted intercoolers cut out the top part so air can get in an use a screen and flat filter like a k/n?

It would greatlly increase the air flow. Would be colder air getting in also as the air would not be from a hot engine bay. Would have to be used on a drag only car as water would be sucked in by the gallon loads. Maybe could modify a scoop or make a fiber glass hood just for it.

Flame away. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or even thought about it. Also if it would be possible to gain anything from it.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Custom intake Possible hp gain's? (BrotherGrim)

A hood scoop can lower the overall engine bay temperature...depending if you have a short ram intake this can be good. But you have to remember a few things...your typical intake manifold is made of aluminum and typically takes ALOT of heat from the cylinder head itself. The only way to compensate and battle the heat from the cylinder head is larger intake plenum's to force more cool air in there in an attempt to sort of even it out. I know Hondata makes an intake manifold gasket that they claim reduces the heat and disperses it...somethin like a 5% gain in power or whatever...depends on application.

As far as trying to create an air induction unit..I dunno if I'd really suggest that...it wouldn't really increase the overall air intake flow because you're limited by the size of your plenum's, the size of the throttle body and your actual intake piping size. If you had something as heavy breathing as say a 5.0L or 4.6L V8 that's constantly just ready to suck in HUGE amounts of air then you can see the benefit of it all...but for something like a Civic the gains would be very minimalistic...a good hood scoop will help cool the engine bay if you buy a PROPER hood with the proper scoop to cool it all.