Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smoking issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoking issues

Ok, i made a month or so ago about my smoking problem. It's a b16a2, compression results were good and it smoked on acceleration/decel. It doesn't blow out smoke on startup but it's blowing out a bluish smoke or so im told. Well, I changed the headgasket and valve stem seals. Now im stumped on the issue, it's not smoking no where near as much but it's still there. New pcv valve also. Now im leaning towards piston rings, because i bought the block seperate and i know it sat in rain but that was over a year ago. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Smoking issues (H9Omega)

most likely the rings. how often do you have to refill oil?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking issues (SkoundrelUSA)

i have a same problem.....i dont either because i just had everything rebuilt on my motor. rings and all. I am going through a quart of oil like every 2 weeks
Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 AM

for the OG poster it's probably the rings. B16's in general burn a bit of oil but if it's bellowing out check the rings... ring lands could also be worn if you beat on it.

JO Civic: do you beat the hell out of your car or what?! and what all was rebuilt?!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidwestSiR)

i'm not hard on it

JDM B18C (GSR)
Omni Power Valve Train
Stock Cams
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold
RC 310 Injectors
Bronze Valve Guides
DC 4-1 JDM Header
AEM Intake
Type R Rods
Cometic Headgasket
All new seals, water pump, oil pump, rings, bearings
ARP Head Studs
DC Exhaust
Omni Power Test Pipe

Transmission: (Completely Rebuilt)

Gear-Speed Carbon Coated Synchros (all gears)
Quaife LSD
ACT Clutch
Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (Jo Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jo Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not hard on it

JDM B18C (GSR)
Omni Power Valve Train
Stock Cams
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold
RC 310 Injectors
Bronze Valve Guides
DC 4-1 JDM Header
AEM Intake
Type R Rods
Cometic Headgasket
All new seals, water pump, oil pump, rings, bearings
ARP Head Studs
DC Exhaust
Omni Power Test Pipe

Transmission: (Completely Rebuilt)

Gear-Speed Carbon Coated Synchros (all gears)
Quaife LSD
ACT Clutch</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't see new rings in that mod list.. were they worn at all durning the build?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (MidwestSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidwestSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't see new rings in that mod list.. were they worn at all durning the build?</TD></TR></TABLE>

After seals and **** it says rings.

But you could've sealed them incorrectly causing the rings to die basically 5 mins after you started the car. Or it could be valve seals...
Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After seals and **** it says rings.

But you could've sealed them incorrectly causing the rings to die basically 5 mins after you started the car. Or it could be valve seals...</TD></TR></TABLE>

doh! you're right.. but yes did you follow a manual when installing the rings?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what i was leaning towards. But if my rings were bad would that yield a lower compression test? it was at 240 all across the board. I put in a thicker oil 20w50 and it seems to have calmed it down a bit, but it is still there. I guess it's time to do a poor man r
Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H9Omega)

yeah i forgot to list new GSR rings
Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (H9Omega)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H9Omega &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's what i was leaning towards. But if my rings were bad would that yield a lower compression test? it was at 240 all across the board. I put in a thicker oil 20w50 and it seems to have calmed it down a bit, but it is still there. I guess it's time to do a poor man r</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thing is, at higher rpms, the compression is not the same as at "idle". You should try doing a leakdown test, that'll elimatinate more possibilities

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jo Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i forgot to list new GSR rings</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you break in the engine? Did you replace valve seals?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I RACE HONDAS AT A LOCAL DIRT TRACK AND ALL WE DO IS SMOKE LOL.....HONAS JUST HAVE REALLY CRAPPY RINGS IN THEM BUT ITS NOT MUCH TO WORRY BOUT ITS NOT BLOWING UP OR ANYTHING MINE SMOKES LIKE A FEEN FOR 2 SEASONS NOW
Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Smoking issues (civic46)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic46 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I RACE HONDAS AT A LOCAL DIRT TRACK AND ALL WE DO IS SMOKE LOL.....HONAS JUST HAVE REALLY CRAPPY RINGS IN THEM BUT ITS NOT MUCH TO WORRY BOUT ITS NOT BLOWING UP OR ANYTHING MINE SMOKES LIKE A FEEN FOR 2 SEASONS NOW </TD></TR></TABLE>

REALLY?! caps off man

there could be many reasons for burning oil.. a few of them could in fact be detramental to the engines life. I will agree though that Hondas are known to a little oil depending on the engine
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking issues (MidwestSiR)

ALSO THE MAIN REASON IT SMOKES GOIN INTO THE CORNER IS THE OIL TRANSFER TO THE ONE SIDE OF THE OIL PAN......JUST A QUICK QUESTION HOW CAN I GET SOME POWER OUT OF THIS OL GIRL....BY NOT CHIPPING NO ENGINE SWAP AND NO TURBO OR NOS OR COLD AIR...LOL MUST REMAIN"STOCK" HAHAHA
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know who you got to rebuild your motor but if the rings were put in upside down then they would still let oil get by and still show good compression readings but when you tear it apart make sure that the dots on the rings go up and that the ring gaps are 180 out of each other. if all your ring gaps are together it could let oil through too.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Smoking issues (gsrhatch2356)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic46 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ALSO THE MAIN REASON IT SMOKES GOIN INTO THE CORNER IS THE OIL TRANSFER TO THE ONE SIDE OF THE OIL PAN......JUST A QUICK QUESTION HOW CAN I GET SOME POWER OUT OF THIS OL GIRL....BY NOT CHIPPING NO ENGINE SWAP AND NO TURBO OR NOS OR COLD AIR...LOL MUST REMAIN"STOCK" HAHAHA </TD></TR></TABLE>

quick power.. what engine is in the civic you're driving? there are many "stock" upgrades using parts from other stock engines No need for capslock either

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrhatch2356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know who you got to rebuild your motor but if the rings were put in upside down then they would still let oil get by and still show good compression readings but when you tear it apart make sure that the dots on the rings go up and that the ring gaps are 180 out of each other. if all your ring gaps are together it could let oil through too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good points
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have u check your valve guide with a inside mic and check the clearance and a outside mircometer?