Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

smog ref won't inspect my car... SRS light not functional...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog ref won't inspect my car... SRS light not functional...

Well, I went to the smog referee in an effort to legalize my B18C in my '92 CX this morning. They don't want to risk injury from a malfunctioning airbag which is completely understandable.

Unfortunately, I swapped in a GSR cluster (and sold off the EG one). I plugged in the yellow plug from the EG harness for SRS into the GSR cluster, but apparenlty the GSR SRS harness plug is wired/pinned differently. I have the GSR SRS plug and noticed it is the same as the EG plug, but has an extra wire (or maybe two... I'll check it tonight...) Anyone have any insights on how to wire up the SRS plug properly?

I was thinking of swapping my steering wheel for a something like a Momo or Sparco race wheel, but am unsure of the legal and insurance coverage implications. I may have to just borrow/buy an EG cluster for now...

Damn, I'm so close! I did a smog pre-test yesterday and passed well below all the emission limits...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: smog ref won't inspect my car... SRS light not functional... (makibaka)

Do they just look to see if it lights up before you turn the ignition on? If that's all they are looking for trick it into lighting up at the right time and you're set...

Old 05-11-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: smog ref won't inspect my car... SRS light not functional... (Phantom)

since he already asked, i too am curious to know what are the legalities with removing the srs equipped steering wheel, for an aftermarket one.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Re: smog ref won't inspect my car... SRS light not functional... (makibaka)

id try to pick up a eg cluster for it
Old 05-11-2004, 05:30 PM

UPDATE: It ended up being a 2 minute fix. After consulting my DC2 and EH manuals, I found that the wires are opposite on the EG to GSR SRS plugs. I cut off the GSR SRS plug off my scrap DC2 harness tapped this plug into the EG SRS plug. I tapped the black to black, the blue to blue, and the yellow to black/yellow. The SRS light works fine now. I'll report back if there are any issues... Hope this helps anyone doing a GSR cluster swap wanting to maintain use of the SRS light.

If I had known that the smog ref would check for the SRS functionality, I would have been more thorough earlier (I'm using solderless taps now and am planning to repin the EG wires into the GSR plugs). Now I have to wait another couple weeks for my next appointment. And my registration is due next week
Old 05-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what smog ref location are you having your car bared at?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: smog ref won't inspect my car... SRS light not functional... (eg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what smog ref location are you having your car bared at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I went to Evergreen Valley College in San Jose. All the guys there were cool, but seemed a little strict. But then again, I've have no other experience with other smog refs to compare to so these guys might actually be a little lax

Anyway, since I technically didn't have any inspection, I'm not required to go back to Evergreen. I'm going to go to the Alameda Community College instead since I've read a lot of good experiences with them on this board...
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 PM

i know this is old, but what if i (have to smog state ref in that area soon) take the airbag out, and just say something like the car was stolen couple weeks back and currently putting things back together? would they probably proceed with the smog or no.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to answer the question regarding the legality of removing a SRS equipped steering wheel, i BELIEVE that it's illegal because you're not suppose to modify original safety equipment. can anyone back me up on this?

EDIT: damn, i just saw how old this thread was