Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Shifter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **HELP** Short Shifter Problems **HELP**

Before I installed my short shifter, my tranny shifted smooth and had no "grinds".

Now that I installed my short shifter (skunk2, but might be knock off since it doesnt say Skunk2 on it anywhere) my tranny on occassion makes a grinding noise or feel. I cant tell if is coming from tranny or short shifter. If I take my time a shift slow and deliberate no grind no problems. But when I shift quicker it grinds nearly everytime. It also difficult to shift into 1st, I need to be at almost complete stop.

When I installed my short shifter it came with 2 bronze/copper metal bushings (look like thick small washers). They are supposed to rest between shifter base and shift linkage. The bolt then slides through everything and ties it all together. I was only able to get one spacer in, the other I couldnt. Could this be causing my problem (ie causing shifter to bind at base near shiftlinkage)?

The orange square indicates the spacer it couldnt fit in.

Anyone else have a similiar problem. Any tips or solutions.

OTHER QUESTION:
I am getting a JDM d15b and will be installing it within the next month. I may also swap out trannies. Will a d16z6 tranny fit on JDM d15. I wasnt sure since one motor is 1.5l and other is 1.6l. I currently have a DX tranny. Any suggestions for shorter geared tranny.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Short Shifter Problems (KarbinFourteen)

i have the same problem as you do...i dont know if its my driving or the shifter. I too...have the skunk2 dual bend shortshifter....it doesnt say skunk2 on it so i dont know if its real or not.

Anywhos...i have a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd....because whenever i shift fast....the shifter tends to go in before the clutch...and it grinds. I dont think im that horrible of a driver...just lately my car is the only car im grinding. Other cars, are no problem....shifting fast.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems (trooper0641)

I have a skunk 2 shifter too (No logo on it) It is the double bend shifter. Mine shifts fine. But I do have the same problem about going into first gear unless im at a complete stop. Still trying to figure out what could be wrong with it.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Shifter Problems (crzyfool24)

That washer may have some affect, I belive, with your shifting but as long as there isn't any left to right play it should be ok, I definitely reccomend trying to get that other bushing in though. Other things you might wanna check is tranny fluid and make sure everyhting was put back together nice and tight after the shifter was installed. There's two pieces of shift linkaget that work together to shift. And yes a z6 tranny will work on a d15
Old 09-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Electrician

Regardless if you have a short shifter or not, you do have to be near a COMPLETE stop to get into 1st. Have you ever tried getting into first from a roll? You can't, unless you grind. Then, you risk the chance of breaking your shift fork. So, be normal, and don't try to get into 1st from a roll. It's that simple.

Next, a short shifter does just that, makes a shift shorter. It doesn't mean you have to be m4d tYt3 jDm y0 and shift excessively fast. It's just there so your throw isn't that far in between gears.

Your transmission is grinding because your trying to engage a gear faster than a stock synchro is intended to do. Just because you have a short shifter doesn't mean you need to shift fast.

If you want to shift excessively fast for some gay reason, go back to a stock shifter where there's a less likely chance of grinding at faster shifts.

Check those shims. Since you have only one side in, your linkage might be binding to one side or the other and causing improper engagement at the transmission end.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't mean you have to be m4d tYt3 jDm y0 and shift excessively fast. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why was this comment necessary? For fun I enjoy drag racing, so when drag racing yes you do need to shift fast and somewhat more aggresively than normal. So this is an issure for me.

Someone mentioned above a grinding problem from 1-2, i got same problem mine is 1-2 grind, and sometime 2-3. Bizarre I wonder if it is a Skunk2 thing?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KarbinFourteen)

cH3k y0 tRanY fLuiD y0!!
Old 09-25-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (SirRevvs)

Just use a different sized washer and tighten it up, worked perfectly for me.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (SirRevvs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cH3k y0 tRanY fLuiD y0!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Will do.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KarbinFourteen)

if ur hearing the grinding or clickin noise from your shifter than most likely that u tighten the bolt too tight which causes the noise.