Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radio on/off, speedometer on/off, charge light on/off

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Radio on/off, speedometer on/off, charge light on/off

Looking for help on an electrical problem. I have a 2000 Civic DX. Last night, when my daughter got home she told me that the radio was going on and off, the speedometer was jumping (basically working/not working) and the charge indicator light was going on/off. It was raining out at the time. Two important background facts. One, about 1.5 months ago, my son bumped into the back of a taxi and pushed in the front which bent the hood up somewhat. I pulled the front and the hood back out (using a winch) and got the hood to close down pretty snug, but it surely isn't quite factory quality. Secondly, shortly after (an hour or so) the fender bender, the car suddenly stopped working altogether. The two events don't seem to be related but who knows? He was towed to a shop (in the Bronx) and was basically taken for a ride. They put in a new battery and alternator (for huge $$) and while the car would now start and run, the speedometer and radio (maybe more, not sure) still did not work. He left the garage and went to his friends on Long Island. The next day, a friend's car repair shop changed a fuse which took care of everything else. The car was working fine since then until last night.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.