Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick I need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick I need help/advice

Alright

I went to my friend shawns house (shadyeh2) to install a (act hdss clutch kit,fidanza flywheel,new head set,timing belt,water pump,tensioner,thermostat,rear main seal,etc) All OEM honda parts ordered from http://slhondaparts.com.

Everything went great after we got done the car started right up and ran perfect.

Well the next day we head out to come back to knoxville and as soon as we get on the interstate my temp gauge rises almost all the way up..as soon as i seen this i turned the heat out thinking it may help it out.We pulled over and went to the closest gas station and i was told it was probally just air in the coolant. We removed the radiator cap and let it idle for a little while and the temperature was back to normal.

The whole entire way home i left the heat on full blast hoping that it would keep it from over heating,etc.

Then we get home fine and i park my car,etc check my oil everything was perfect.

Just today i started my car up and i heard this kinda high pitched squealing noise and it reminded me of the sound when my sister's water pump went out on her d16z6. So i listen as close as i can and it's coming from the timing belt area.

I don't have any clue what so ever on how my waterpump would already be shot..before the install i moved the wheel around and it didn't wiggle around it was perfect like a brand new honda product should be.

Is it possible that i was sold a bad waterpump?

Is there anything i can do to double check that it's the waterpump before i call slhondaparts and ask for a replacement?

Advice / Comments anything that will help me will benefit LOTS

Also the sound sounds like the bearings in the waterpump and i'm 100% sure it's coming from the waterpump area.

Thanks H-T

Also the motor is a D16z6.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Quick I need help/advice (Jimmy)

Its unlikely the water pump is bad since they are mechanical and turn off the timing belt. However they could go bad as in leaking or making weird sounds.

Id check to make sure the t-stat is working correctly, and you have all the air out of the system. Also the squealing could be from alot of different things, like if the timing belt is too tight. Pull off the timing cover and listen.

liam
Old 07-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Global Moderator

I just noticed there is a little[/b] puddle of coolant under the car.

How do i check to see if the t-stat is operating correctly?
Old 07-25-2004, 07:48 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick I need help/advice (liam821)

take of the waterpump and inspect it. You said that you got a new head, why was that, was it cracked? if so there is a posible damage to the block as well. You should of just opted for a d series engine swap, alot less money and you would end up with the engine that would run fine. JDM d15b is like $300-400
Old 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick I need help/advice (ABK)

Did you check to make sure it was the right timing belt? I know there are a few different types for civics. My CX timing belt had 106 teeth whereas the d16z6 has 104 teeth and I believe the VX engine has 103 teeth. It could make a difference.
The only real way to check the thermostat is to take off the cover and check. Did you bleed the system when you changed the head and thermostat? If air was in the line it could have popped the thermostat and caused your car to overheat.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick I need help/advice (dsowers19)

The high pitched squealing noise could be coming from drive belts (alt, PS, a/c). The puddle could be left over coolant. The best thing to do is check the job from the first thing you touched (first thing you took off to the last). Start with the things outside the motor.

You can check your thermostat by (with a cold motor) feeling the lower rad. hose. It will turn hot when the thermostat opens. You can also take the thermostat out and boil water in a pot and stick it on the pot of boiling water and see if it opens.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Quick I need help/advice (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The high pitched squealing noise could be coming from drive belts (alt, PS, a/c). The puddle could be left over coolant. The best thing to do is check the job from the first thing you touched (first thing you took off to the last). Start with the things outside the motor.

You can check your thermostat by (with a cold motor) feeling the lower rad. hose. It will turn hot when the thermostat opens. You can also take the thermostat out and boil water in a pot and stick it on the pot of boiling water and see if it opens. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had just figured out what my problem was right when i read this post.

I jacked the car up and seen my AC belt dangling it so VERY loose.

Loosened the lock nut and tightened the 10mm bolt up and VIOLA problem solved.

Thanks guys!!!!