Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problem adjusting timing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem adjusting timing...

my cars not running(93 delsol si), it starts then dies immediately and theres no codes. WE KNOW ITS THE TIMING. we cant use a timing light b/c its not running. my arrows on the cam pulley line up perfectly too. the crank pulley im not sure about.

how exactly do you fix/adjust timing?

how do you set it to TDC?

and the i have a yellow line/mark on the crank pulley, where should that be pointing or what should it be aligned with? and if thats not right, do we need to take the belt off to just adjust the crank pulley correctly?

ive been searching and its confusing, i need STEP BY STEP instructions or a website or link here to all of the above. thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: problem adjusting timing... (SI_niki)

to my knowlege (small)... you just losten the dizzy and play around with it until it will run. Then, use a light to get it to tdc. I hope someone can back that up tho

p.s. i was fooling round with the timing on a jdm d15b today and there were two marks on the cam gear that could be seen with the gun. Horazontal is TDC on that engine... at least i hope.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Electrician

To check the crank, you'll need to remove the crank bolt if you need to adjust it. It's going to be a bitch. Check if both the crank and cam are aligned to TDC and adjust from there. Try advancing or retarding the timing and see if it starts. If it does, move the distributor to spec and see if it does while you're doing it. If it does, you probably jumped a tooth on the gear.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

well we have already messed with the disty (adv/ret) and we have it right in the middle. what do the crank pulley line(s) need to be lined up with or pointing at? do they need to be pointing in the same direction as the arrows on the cam gears or what?? theres only one line on my crank pulley, a yellow one, but theres a red and white dot together on the pulley behind the yellow mark. oh, and please explain <U>exactly </U>how TDC is supposed to look/be. ??? pics of correct timing and tdc would be great! thanks!
Old 07-02-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Re: (SI_niki)

ttt
Old 07-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SI_niki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my cars not running(93 delsol si), it starts then dies immediately and theres no codes. WE KNOW ITS THE TIMING. we cant use a timing light b/c its not running. my arrows on the cam pulley line up perfectly too. the crank pulley im not sure about.

how exactly do you fix/adjust timing?

how do you set it to TDC?

and the i have a yellow line/mark on the crank pulley, where should that be pointing or what should it be aligned with? and if thats not right, do we need to take the belt off to just adjust the crank pulley correctly?

ive been searching and its confusing, i need STEP BY STEP instructions or a website or link here to all of the above. thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

2 minutes of searching would have gotten you this....

Old 07-02-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: problem adjusting timing... (Happyman)

haha. i did see that post, but we couldnt find the pointer on the lower cover. ok, so my yellow mark on my crank pulley should be aligned w/ that? and when thats aligned the arrows should be roughly upward right? thats all i wanted to know.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the white mark should be lined up on it. thats your top dead center mark.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: problem adjusting timing... (monicle)

we put it to TDC, wouldnt start. <U>how can you tell if the #1 cylinder is at TDC? </U>theres a hole where you can put a screwdriver through and we could when we put it to TDC, BUT the hole was on the #2 cylinder. theres something were missing or doing wrong, we need you guys to help figure out what that is. thanks.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take out the #1 spark plug and drop your dipstick in there and turn the crank pully and you can watch the dipstick and get a pretty close idea about where tdc is at.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: problem adjusting timing... (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take out the #1 spark plug and drop your dipstick in there and turn the crank pully and you can watch the dipstick and get a pretty close idea about where tdc is at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Worked for me
Old 07-03-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: problem adjusting timing... (Pete_SI)

Are you SURE it is timing? Sounds like it could be fuel to me. If the engine starts and then dies maybe the fuel isnt being supplied to the engine.