Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic ex timing belt/timing light is off, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic ex timing belt/timing light is off, help!

Okay I'm having a lot of problems with my timing TDC, which I don't seem to get or understand which is which. Here is the problems when the engine is off and I crank on the crank pulley counterclockwise, until the 1st piston is on the up position, and my cam gear is on the "up mark" then looking down at the crank pulley it line up with the middle mark which is the "stock" the car seem to run fine, doesn't lag or bog. But here's the thing when I check my timing with the timing light/gun it's off to the side about 2 inch which is a 1teeth off. So I went ahead and jump a teeth, now the crank pulley is off the side, but if I use the timing light it's right on the "TDC mark" but now the car lag/bog on 2 and 3 gear when the rpm gets close to 3,000 rpm. It feels almost like it doesn't wanna go but focusing itself. I'm confuse... which is which and which is the correct one? someone please help, I hope this makes sense....
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic ex timing belt/timing light is off, help!

I wanna know which one is the correct one, using the timing light or crank the pulley to TDC is the correct one. It's confusing me and not just that two of my friend said that the timing light is the correct one, but why is it lagging/bogging? I'm lost and I hate do and redo this timing over and over again, this is like the 5 time doing this, (Sighs) someone please tell me which one is the correct one. thanks...
Old 09-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you jumping the service connector before checking it with a light?????
Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

service connector??
Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes. You need to put it back the way it was and then look under the dash on the passenger side of the car just above the plastic kick panel. There should be a blue, maybe white, two wire connector there. It may even be tucked into a little green rubber holster. When you find it, jump it with a piece of wire or a paperclip. Then start the car (check engine light should be on solid now), and check the timing. But I would put it back the way it was first.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check what the timing is at with the connector jumped first, then if its off go back to how it was no since in doing twice the work if its dead on now (not saying it is) just saying it can be.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LoGaN-VanG
Okay I'm having a lot of problems with my timing TDC, which I don't seem to get or understand which is which. Here is the problems when the engine is off and I crank on the crank pulley counterclockwise, until the 1st piston is on the up position, and my cam gear is on the "up mark" then looking down at the crank pulley it line up with the middle mark which is the "stock" the car seem to run fine, doesn't lag or bog. But here's the thing when I check my timing with the timing light/gun it's off to the side about 2 inch which is a 1teeth off. So I went ahead and jump a teeth, now the crank pulley is off the side, but if I use the timing light it's right on the "TDC mark" but now the car lag/bog on 2 and 3 gear when the rpm gets close to 3,000 rpm. It feels almost like it doesn't wanna go but focusing itself. I'm confuse... which is which and which is the correct one? someone please help, I hope this makes sense....
You have to have them both correct, you're adjusting two different things. Set your crank pully to TDC and make sure your cam gear is facing "up", put the timing belt on and tighten it. Then jump the service connector (by the ECU, it's a 2 pin connector under your dash) by connecting both pins with a wire, paperclip, whatever so your CEL stays solid and your computer doesn't try to adjust your ignition timing when you're working on it. Then hook up your timing light, loosen the bolts on your dizzy and start the car and advance/retard the timing until the pink mark on your crank pully is lined up with the mark on your timing cover.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I just got done jumping the service connector, using the timing light. The crank pulley is right one TDC, which is the Stock "Mark" and the Cam on up "mark" Then I shut the engine off and check the pulley and cam. Crank the crank pulley until the Cam is on up "mark" but the Crank pulley to TDC is off. The Cam is on the up "mark" the Crank pulley is on the far end "mark" I don't know what they call that but the one by itself "mark" ... hmm, Made be my timing is right but it's something else that is causing it to bog/laggy? :/
Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Mechanical timing:

Crank TDC1 = align pointer with lone white mark on crank pulley
Cam TDC1 = see diagram below

Ignition timing:

Align pointer with red mark (middle mark in group of three) on the crank pulley

Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Ron if the Crank pulley and the Cam are at TDC "mark" the car seem to run better, but when I use the timing light it's off about a teeth. Using the timing light, the Cam is on the TDC but the Crank pulley is off to the side, I try dizzy it out but still can't get it close enough to the TDC. :/ Now if the Cam is on the up "mark" the Crank pulley is off to the mark by itself, using the timing light will make the both Cam and Crank pulley at TDC. but the car seem to lag and bog, this is really confusing me...
Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna know which is the right one, timing light or cranking the Cam and Crank pulley while the engine is off is the right one. Because you can't put them to gather. which is which... :/
Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

From what you are saying, you don't understand the difference between mechanical and ignition timing.

For mechanical timing, the cam and crank must be synchronized at the TDC1 (top dead center for cylinder) positions. This is done by proper installation of the timing belt. See diagram I posted.

For ignition timing, you jump the service connector when the engine warmed up and idling to spec and turn the distributor until the pointer aligns with the red mark on the crank pulley. You never look at the cam pulley for this adjustment.

Note that you use two different marks on the crank pulley to set the mechanical timing (white mark) versus the ignition timing (red mark).
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh okay, I see what your saying... that explains more

thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if u cant get enough adjustment to set the timing 12* btdc. then your probably off on your mechanical timing most likely the cam is off a tooth.