Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please help. I have a VSS problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help. I have a VSS problem

Hey everyone. this is an on going problem i have had and dont know how to fix it now.

I had my transmission replaced awhile ago at the stealership, and ever since my speedometer will not work. After being jerked around there prior to tranny service i am now refusing to go back there. Plus they want to charge me another 100 to put my car on the dianogstic machine even tho i know it is throwing a code 17 which is vss. And clearly my speedo isnt working.

I have changed the vss with three known working units, and have changed the clusters with 3 known working ones as well. When i check the voltage on the speed wire at the cluster there is nothing. At the plug tho there is 4.9v. The power and ground are also good at the plug.

Everything else is working on the cluster minus the speedometer and odometer.

I have talked to stealership again and they said it is probably a gear inside of the transmission itself. They want another 600 to remove and install this new gear. Not happening. I have hooked the vss up to a drill and the speedometer still will not work.

Problem there for lays in the wiring right? Well i have followed the harness to make sure it isn't shorting out anywhere and i can not see anything.

So what is my next step, it is driving me nuts not having a speedo that works and photo radar on every road i travel daily.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help. I have a VSS problem

i would check for the trans ground being tight. My speedo was going crazy and it turned out to be a bad ground wire.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump

I have checked to see the tightness of all the grounds and as stated the plug is getting the right voltage on each wire.

Is there a fuse for an eg or something. I have looked at the fuse diagram and been told that #12 and #24 are the fuses for sensors. Well #12 is good and i have no place for #24 the car is a canadian cx. Just ends at #23 fuse.

I am truely stuck. i have been thinkin about just rewiring it all but dont care that much to actually do it. I plan a swap in a month or 2 but until then be nice to know how fast i am going.

Any Tricks to installing a new vss that i should be aware of? Just pop in and plug right?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have power at one end of the wire and none at the other the problem is the wire probably because the shop tried to take the transmission out with it still attached it wouldnt be the first itme ive seen it.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump still havent solved this problem. I have retested the plug at the sensor and i am getting 12v on the two power wires. Why?
i ran a new wire from the sensor to the cluster and spliced into the speedometer wire b2 i believe yellow/blue wire from the the wire at the sensor yellow/blue. And still nothing what could be causing this not to work?

I want vtec back
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds like there is a break in the wire from the VSS to the speedometer. Its good you are checking voltages...

If I were you, I wouldn't have left the parking lot of the dealership if the speedo wasn't working. You should have walked right back in and said "You guys haven't finished the job yet."
Old 02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try using one of your friends vss wire. see it that helps.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Long story short speedo worked till I got home and then it quite went back to dealer they tried to charge me 300 to install the old vas and clear engine light I snapped paid 100 led and will never go back
The blue/yellow wire is suppsoe to have 4-5 Volts when key is in the in position correct?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since your speedo worked before the trans swap, it's the VSS or the wiring to the VSS.
But first, check whether either fuse 24 (15A) (w/ SRS) or 12 (15A) (w/o SRS) is blown.

If they aren't, then...

See that for the VSS:

YEL/BLU (BLK/YEL) wire goes to the interior fuse box, 15Amp fuse, then to +12.
YEL/WHT (YEL/BLU) wire goes to the ECU and to the gauge cluster.
The third wire goes to gnd.

Check all wiring to and from the sensor to the gauge is okay. Because the signal is disrupted somewhere. I'm assuming that the YEL/BLU (BLK/YEL) wire is okay since you get voltage at the VSS. I would suspect the YEL/WHT (YEL/BLU) wire or the Ground wire.

Best.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rewire it if you cant get it to work. And even if you swap, unless you change harness's and wiring you will have the same problem with your new motor lol.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey everyone it finally warmed up here and i am still having issues with this. I have tried to rewire it kinda, i think i understood what everyone was saying. sorry kinda a newb when it comes to wiring. But i spliced into the yellow/blue wire (middle wire on vss plug) and ran it to the speedo wiring and spliced into b2 a yellow/blue wire. Is thicorrect? cause now i am getting 13v at the speedo wire (yellow/blue; b2)
Or am i suppose to run it from the yellow/white wire at the vss plug? And what do i do about the ecu wire? does it come from the gauge? so if the gauge works then the ecu should read it?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were ud id write a letter to the manager/owner of the dealership and also to corporate honda. They didnt finish the job they started and its up to them to fix it.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also measuring voltage at the plug these are the number i have got. this is when the car is in the on position not moving. All probed with using the plug ground.

Yellow/white 12 v
Yellow/blue 12v
Black 12v (connected positive to battery terminal and then ground to make sure there is a good ground)
Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol thanks magoon, they already have heard from me, and they know they ****ed up, but still unable to do anything about it. I have pretty much determined it has to be a wiring issue now and i would not be surprised it they still had it connected when trying to take out the tranny.

I just wont every go there again, they could have a brand new s2000 for 10000 and tell me i was approved for finanacing and i still wouldnt go there. and trust me i want an s2000 lol. I have heard that there are many people that get screwed at this dealership for repairs and so forth. Like my new vtec soleniod i needed cause the old one was cracked appartly and leaking oil.. but really a new gasket did the job. (ps all in the same series of visits)
Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youd be suprised the power of writing a letter to corporate, regardless good luck fixing it.

Have you examined the connecting clips at the vss to the harness? I had a problem where my speedo was coming on off constantly, turned out the harness clip had some major corrosion in it.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i just cleaned the clip and the sensor out and there was a little corrosion on it but not much. i retested with volt meter and got this
yellow/white wire is 8.9 v
yellow/blue is 12.5 v
changed the wire that i had spliced into to the yellow/white and there is still no difference. Not getting a signal at all at the speedo wire.

Any ideas guys i really want this fixed today as it is starting to get cold out again
Old 03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump. Also how do you back probe the connector bc there is rubber seal on the back side of it?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet managed to fix it this morning
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what was the problem
Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not 100% sure.. changed the cluster back out to the jdm one, and changed the top half of the speed sensor and ran a wire from they yellow/white on the plug directly to theback of the speedo. and pulled on the harness a little. So any one of those things but pretty sure it was just need the wire ran seeing all of the other parts work in the other cars.