Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

speedometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer problems

this started a few months ago and has gotten quite worst since then. My speedometer bounces around and moves like 5mph up and down before going back to 0, then my odometer stops counting. It will stay at 0 for a while before starting to bounce around again at the speed im traveling. Sometimes it will stop bouncing and will work fine, but that usually only happens after i've been driving for about a half hour or so. most of the time, it doesn't work tho. Is this an electrical problem or a VSS problem?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer problems (blinger)

I had the same problem a few months back. I replaced my VSS and it went away completely. You can try to replace your VSS first. If that doesn't solve it, then it's your cluster.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It can be VSS,Dizzy or Cluster. You can take out the cluster and retighten the screws in the back see if that helps.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: speedometer problems (Dickies_n_FlipFlops)

these guys are right but just to be safe check all the grounds. my gauge cluster went haywire when i had a ground loose. good luck
Old 03-23-2024, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IIXtremeHansen
It can be VSS,Dizzy or Cluster. You can take out the cluster and retighten the screws in the back see if that helps.
I have a 96 Honda prelude s 5 speed manual. I have a p0500 (vss) code. I replaced the vss yesterday and my speedometer still isn't working. Any ideas why
Old 03-23-2024, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Kai87
I have a 96 Honda prelude s 5 speed manual. I have a p0500 (vss) code. I replaced the vss yesterday and my speedometer still isn't working. Any ideas why
Check the pins in the 3-wire plug that connects to the VSS sensor itself... if any are corroded or damaged, replace the pins. Then check for 12V on the yellow/black wire, ground on the black wire, and a voltage pulse on the orange wire (this will only occur if you plug in to the VSS and slowly rotate the gear on the bottom of the sensor... either by hand by removing the VSS from the transmission OR jacking up the front end of the car and rotating the right tire slowly.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Check the pins in the 3-wire plug that connects to the VSS sensor itself... if any are corroded or damaged, replace the pins. Then check for 12V on the yellow/black wire, ground on the black wire, and a voltage pulse on the orange wire (this will only occur if you plug in to the VSS and slowly rotate the gear on the bottom of the sensor... either by hand by removing the VSS from the transmission OR jacking up the front end of the car and rotating the right tire slowly.
Thank you so much I will check what you said and let you know my findings.
Update as of 04/11/24. I order a new vss electric connector. Does anyone know the order of the wires on the new connector in terms of ground, voltage pulse, and power? I know the orange is voltage pulse and I was able to determine the ground wire and power wire,but I don't know what order I'm supposed to connect them to the wires in the new connector

Last edited by Kai87; 04-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much I will check what you said and let you know my findings.
Update:. I checked for power,and ground,and everything is good. I found out that my speedometer cable was cut,so I'm thinking that's the reason why my speedometer doesn't work lol. Just order it today. I will give a update in a couple of days when I install the new speedometer cable.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:. I checked for power,and ground,and everything is good. I found out that my speedometer cable was cut,so I'm thinking that's the reason why my speedometer doesn't work lol. Just order it today. I will give a update in a couple of days when I install the new speedometer cable.
You don't have a speedometer cable in a 4G Prelude... what exactly are you replacing ?
Old 03-25-2024, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have a speedometer cable in a 4G Prelude... what exactly are you replacing ?

Is this not a speedometer cable. It goes into the firewall.
Also what goes here (2nd photo) what goes on/into the tube that's pictured under the hose?

Old 03-26-2024, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer problems

Pic one is a chopped off cable that should have gone to the Cruise Control module normally bolted to the left side wheel house just ahead of the shock tower. The lower pic shows the vent tube for the transmission case. There is normally a rubber vent cap on top that has a small 90' elbow pointed horizontally to keep crap out of the inside of the transmission.

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is found on the rear differential area of the transmission case... found below the shifter cables and directly below the bottom of the throttle body. There is a 3-wire grey plug connected to it as well as a pair of power steering lines.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer problems

Pic one is a chopped off cable that should have gone to the Cruise Control module normally bolted to the left side wheel house just ahead of the shock tower. The lower pic shows the vent tube for the transmission case. There is normally a rubber vent cap on top that has a small 90' elbow pointed horizontally to keep crap out of the inside of the transmission.

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is found on the rear differential area of the transmission case... found below the shifter cables and directly below the bottom of the throttle body. There is a 3-wire grey plug connected to it as well as a pair of power steering lines.
That makes sense that it's the cruise control cable because I do not have the cruise control module. I guess I'm going to have to try to track down if there's a fault in the wiring for the electrical connector to the VSS. I tested it and it's getting 12 volts as well as ground but it's still not working apparently. You think it could be that I need a new instrument cluster?