Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Piston rings shot!!! Whato do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Piston rings shot!!! Whato do?

Let me say first that I own a 00' Civic si and that I have a Greddy turbo set up on my B16. So my problem is that I have blown my piston rings on two of my cylinder on cylinder 1 & 2.Now i'm not completely sure if its my rings that are fried but i did do a compression test and 2 of my cylinder are low pressures. Now I'm completely lost on what i should do to fix this. What is the procedure and what do I need to buy? Please someone help me and tell me what to buy. Should I buy a hole new set of pistons and piston rings. And while doing that should I get cylinder block and forged piston with rods as well. And maybe upgrade my injectors also.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Piston rings shot!!! Whato do?

i would get forged pistons and rods.
dont forget new bearings
but depending on the shape of the motor you might be able to away with just new rings.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am sure that you cracked at least one ringland, so i would suggest going to forged internals, if you cannot afford stock rebuild, it should be fine with a good tune. a quick hone would prob. be all that you need to do. you should already have upgraded injectors prob soem 550's woudl be ideal with a walboro fuel pump. good luck. im sure i have forgot some things but you get the big picture
Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Piston rings shot!!! Whato do?

Originally Posted by slowturbocx
i am sure that you cracked at least one ringland, so i would suggest going to forged internals, if you cannot afford stock rebuild, it should be fine with a good tune. a quick hone would prob. be all that you need to do. you should already have upgraded injectors prob soem 550's woudl be ideal with a walboro fuel pump. good luck. im sure i have forgot some things but you get the big picture
I already have injectors i have 310cc but Im gonna upgrade that to 550's and I also have a walboro pump. Now what you mean when you said to get stock rebuild do you mean buy stock parts? Or Completely rebuild the entire engine. Which is more reliable for a DD car? Or are they both the same and what i mean is stock piston with rings or rather forged piston with rings. What is forged internals and honed? Ishone a must when doing repairs such as what im gonna to do...
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM

rebuild. while your in your engine you might as well upgrade if you have the funds to. New piston rings is the minimum you'll need. A new headgasket is recommended. And get your car tuned this time around..... tuned better, at least.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lilaznkaren
rebuild. while your in your engine you might as well upgrade if you have the funds to. New piston rings is the minimum you'll need. A new headgasket is recommended. And get your car tuned this time around..... tuned better, at least.
I have some money but im not poor broke...lol...Whats in a rebuild? I already know a head gasket would be in place once I get it going with my problem. What would be my option when it comes down to buying parts? What brands are good? Now im not trying to go buck wild on the build, just to have the car last me for a long time since its my DD car. But at the same time I wanna gain just a bit more horses...lol.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

umm, low compression forged pistons. not too familiar on brands. and eagle rods with arp rod bolts and arp head bolts. new piston rings, valve seals, and a good headgasket to keep the compression nice and strong in all cylinders, all oem. after its all put together, get a good tune and get it broken in. thats like the bare minimum I would do if money wasn't as handy as you want it to be. you will get a reliable boosted b16 for a dd, Don't boost crazy, i'd say 10 pounds range. just to be on the safe side on the street, then you can get a seperate tune for a higher boost range, for the track. do your research.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm, low compression forged pistons. not too familiar on brands. and eagle rods with arp rod bolts and arp head bolts. new piston rings, valve seals, and a good headgasket to keep the compression nice and strong in all cylinders, all oem. after its all put together, get a good tune and get it broken in. thats like the bare minimum I would do if money wasn't as handy as you want it to be. you will get a reliable boosted b16 for a dd, Don't boost crazy, i'd say 10 pounds range. just to be on the safe side on the street, then you can get a seperate tune for a higher boost range, for the track. do your research.
I don't think I can boost any higher than 6 since greddy set up came with an internal wastegate... So let see here... This is what im gonna need?
1. low compression forged piston
2.eagle rods
3.arp rod bolts and head bolts
4.piston rings
5.valve seals
6.headgasket
7.550's injectors
8.A GOOD tune

If there was anything else that was missed and needed to add please reply and i'll add it to the list. I want this car to run like it has never run before lol.....

And by the way, Do any one know where i can get a good tune? Im from San Jose Ca and I dont know any tuners out here but one?

Last edited by Christopherian1982; 01-04-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM

oh, sucks for you.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, sucks for you.
What sucks? That im gonna have to get this thing started or the part where im gonna find a place to get it tuned?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM

the lack of an option sucks. you won't need lower compression pistons, you will run 6 lbs safely on your stock compression. Just get new rings, headgasket, and valve seals. throw on your turbo kit and get it tuned then break it in and enjoy. .
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the lack of an option sucks. you won't need lower compression pistons, you will run 6 lbs safely on your stock compression. Just get new rings, headgasket, and valve seals. throw on your turbo kit and get it tuned then break it in and enjoy. .

Ok so these are my plans.
Forged piston, rods
Acl racing bearings
New oem oil pump
Head and oil pan Gaskets
valve seals and
Arp head bolts

Now before i go forward on this project I need some answers?
1. Im buying cp pistons 9.1 and eagle rods and I don't want to go bigger on pistons. Will 81.00mm std bore 9.1 piston fit my block without doing anything major such as sleeving?
2.Is 9.1 pistons ok for 10psi
3.Since im also getting eagle rods, what rod length should be ok with the setup im going for.
4.Will a metal head gasket drop the compression and What type of gaskets are good to use.

Thanks in advance for any help....
Old 01-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are my two pieces of advice that you should follow before getting too ahead of yourself.

1. Do a compression and leakdown test, then report the results to us. Your problems could be the result of a blown ringland, but it could also be the result of a blown headgasket.

2. Once you've done part 1, then post a new thread in the Forced Induction forum. You'll get a lot better results and answers when you post in a specific technical thread than in the general Civic forum...