Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problem

Ok so I just put the turbo kit on my b20vtec and it over heats alittle. It isnt the head gasket because it is no sign of water in the oil or around the oil cap...I still plan on replacing it anyways just to be safe. It doesnt reallly overheat while just driving around unless I am in traffic in the middle of the day and its really hot outside. The only time it really overheats is when I give it what it has. Just driving around and hittin small amounts of boost doesnt really do anything. The thing Ive noticed tho I have been keepin an eye on the coolant and when just driving around hittin boost every now and then the coolant is fine and doesnt overheat. Every time I really get on it though it over heats and after alittle while the coolant will be very low. Is it just because my stock radiator is to small to handle this kind of power? I am planning on buying a integra radiator and mountin it on mine just so its a full size and I can put 2 fans on there. I also plan on swapping out and puttin a new oem thermostat on there to see if that helps. Anybody else has any ideas of what it could be?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: overheating problem

full size radiator full core. wrap stuff with thermo stuffs. and get a gates thermostat. if that doesnt solve it check head surface and gasket..if that doesnt work....you are running a turbo. try this too. put some washers between the hood and the hood hinges. itl bump up the hood and let the engine bay cool off more
Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im plannin on the full size radiator and i already have my hood lifted and my hoods a vented cf hood so just wrap it up and a gates thermo i will try that out thanks
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're overheating and eating coolant, that means there's a leak in your cooling system - it's not pressurizing. If there is no external leak and your car only overheats and loses coolant when you beat on the car, looks like you need to replace the headgasket.

Just because you don't have water in the oil doesn't mean your headgasket isn't blown.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remember to use a b20 head gasket when u replace it....hopefully u used one before when u put the b20v together