Notices

overheating during boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating during boost

ok, so i did a search and im srtill unsure of whats happening to my car. im running a long full aluminium rad with no thermostat and oem fan on all the time. temp is fine during normal driving but whenever i boost (be it hard or a little), my temp shoots up maybe like 10-20 degrees celsius. ive also found out that coolant in my rad has gone down quite a bit and the overflow tank would be full after boosting a few runs. im suspecting water has shot out of the tank too as the cap would be wet as well.. thing is, there is no white smoke or oil in coolant vice versa.. what could be the problem? i cant find any leaks around the engine bay everything seems fine except the rad coolant level dropping drastically and overheating after boosting.. could it be the rad cap? i really dont want to conclude its a headgasket problem but feel free to give your opinions and ways to conclude to problem.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating during boost

Head lifting under boost is my guess.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had problem when i was just na and my gsr over heated. i found out the my radiator cap was bad, the seal on it broke and my car was basicly not working right. you should chech yours or get a new one to see if it makes a different.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hawjap1gsr
i had problem when i was just na and my gsr over heated. i found out the my radiator cap was bad, the seal on it broke and my car was basicly not working right. you should chech yours or get a new one to see if it makes a different.
x2, happened on the dyno. as soon as it boosted it would over heat. checked everything else first before finally checking the cap lol.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried changing to a 1.3bar rad cap, was still the same. Temp would still shoot up after boosting.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rx7_
Tried changing to a 1.3bar rad cap, was still the same. Temp would still shoot up after boosting.
check all yours cooling line to see it there is leak or if they are hook up right. you could have put one line in the wrong places.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car did this and the head was lifting under boost, so i changed the headgasket and torqued my studs a lil more and then retorqued em after 10 heat cycles, and havnt had an issue for over a year now
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem. So I went over everything. I pulled the head and sent it out, the head was straight, I have ARP studs and Cometic gasket. So I thought, maybe cometic, so I got an OE Honda gasket, guess what still over heats, took it all apart. After really close inspection I had a very small hair line crack on the top of a sleeve. Only when I'd go in to boost it would over heat, if I cruised it was fine. I guess the block guard kept the sleeve closed under no boost and it was fine, under boost it would split and feed boost pressure in to the coolant system.

Take a look at your sleeves...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright the car is still heating up pretty much the same. Also, a new update is during boost, my rpm would jam at 5k, sounds like a misfire and it would not climb up at all.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B16A1-EF9
I had the same problem. So I went over everything. I pulled the head and sent it out, the head was straight, I have ARP studs and Cometic gasket. So I thought, maybe cometic, so I got an OE Honda gasket, guess what still over heats, took it all apart. After really close inspection I had a very small hair line crack on the top of a sleeve. Only when I'd go in to boost it would over heat, if I cruised it was fine. I guess the block guard kept the sleeve closed under no boost and it was fine, under boost it would split and feed boost pressure in to the coolant system.

Take a look at your sleeves...
And the block guard probably caused your sleeve to crack by not allowing coolant to reach that part of the cylinder wall creating a hot spot.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cylinder pressure is getting in the coolant system. Pop the head off and check everything real well.

What engine is this?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a d16zc engine no blockguard stock sleeves. The headgasket is the conclusion. Now i need to know which is the best headgasket. Searched good reviews on MLS and stock OEM gasket.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rx7_
Its a d16zc engine no blockguard stock sleeves. The headgasket is the conclusion. Now i need to know which is the best headgasket. Searched good reviews on MLS and stock OEM gasket.
The d series is the worst I've seen for it yet....everyone I've ever boosted that didn't have a fresh gasket and headstuds pops it.

Best setup is a new set of ARP's, and a stock headgasket. Stockers work great and hold up well. Just use one from a z6 or y8.