Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Opinions/suggestions on parts replacements.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions/suggestions on parts replacements.

I've been having a few problems with a few things in my car, and I've figured out a couple of things that may be causing the problems, so I'm going to replace all of the parts in question. The car could use the refreshment anyway.

I'm running a stock D16Z6, and I'm looking to replace the alternator and any associated belts, the water pump and belts, the timing belt, oxygen sensors, the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions on which brands and parts would be the best for these applications, and where I could possibly look to get them.

Thanks in advance for sharing.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opinions/suggestions on parts replacements. (xnvb)

Timing belt and water pump, get from your Honda dealer. Think it runs around $200 for both, but they're very critical components (especially the timing belt) and I wouldn't want generic in there. The other belts, get from wherever. Don't think it really matters.

Alternator - I'd personally get an autozone alternator with a lifetime warranty, so when it breaks again, you can take it back. Or, people sell used alternators on the h-t classifieds all the time for next to nothing.

Plugs and wires - for plugs, I use the NGK non platinum. They're OEM, and I can get them at orlys, or autozone, or whatever. Never had a problem. Beware of orly's store brand wires - I've had them fuse themselves to the sparkplugs before. They're junk. I've had good luck with carquest. Or just go with Honda wires.

O2 sensors - When I saw the primary O2 for my car was like 400 bucks from Honda, I bought a universal Bosch instead for like $90. Never had a problem with it, and it lasted longer than the OEM.

A good source for OEM parts has been majestichonda (google them), although I've seen a few people complaining about them lately. I've ordered a few parts from them and never had a problem.

So: why do you think you need all of this? I can understand plugs/wires/timing belt/water pump, but do you have a CEL or other symptoms that indicate a bad O2 or alternator? What's it doing?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:54 AM

Timing Belt - OEM, as stated in the previous post.

Water Pump - Honda is always a good option for all parts, however, aftermarket products (so long as it's not Re-Manufactured) should work as good for this. I know for the B-series, Melling makes a water pump, and it's a good bit cheaper than the factory piece. Melling, of course, is a premier OEM and racing parts manufacturer.

Plugs - NGK or Denso. Both are very high quality plugs. I'd recommend Iridium or standard. Platinum plugs last longer, but they are.....picky.....

Wires - OEM, NGK, Magnecor... The NGK is basically an OEM wire. OEM wires are probably more expensive than the Magnecor. Magnecor is probably the best wire money can buy!

O2 sensor - The Honda factory unit (and most all other OEM units) are Bosch units. They can be had, OEM replacement type, from the local parts store, for far less than the factory unit. It IS the same part.

As for the Alternator - Choose one with a Lifetime replacement. Coming from a shop background, some are more prone to failure than others. Currently, NAPA seems to have the best ones. Very low failure rates, and good service when they do fail. At one time, Advance Auto (PartsAmerica) was offering some that were very good, but then they started having failures for a stretch.... It really does vary, but if you're doing the work yourself, any with a Lifetime Warranty should prove good.

Anyways, I hope that helps you out some,

William

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Opinions/suggestions on parts replacements. (OneSlow92EGSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OneSlow92EGSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">O2 sensor - The Honda factory unit (and most all other OEM units) are Bosch units. They can be had, OEM replacement type, from the local parts store, for far less than the factory unit. It IS the same part.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda actually uses Denso O2 sensors, who IMO makes a far superior O2 sensor to Bosch, next to Denso i'd got with an NTK, almost the same quality for less. BIsch doesn't seem to last nearly as long.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Opinions/suggestions on parts replacements. (94EG8)

I'm not sure what year you have....
But all the O2 sensors I've pulled out have been Bosch....
Denso didn't release O2 sensors until a couple of years ago.....

Also, the 5-wire Volkswagen O2 sensors (Wideband) are Bosch. So are the 4-wire units that have been used by the Big 3. I'm fairly sure Mitsubishi is using another OEM, and they have the only car I know that has massive problems with failing O2 sensors....

I'm not sure who Toyota is using. Haven't pulled apart too many, so it must be pretty good also.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OneSlow92EGSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure what year you have....
But all the O2 sensors I've pulled out have been Bosch....
Denso didn't release O2 sensors until a couple of years ago.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Denso has been making O2 sensors for years, '92 - '00 civcs all came with Denso O2 sensors from the factory, I have no idea what older civics used. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled a lot of Bosch O2 sensors from honda's though, they are usually the cheapest so thats what most people buy. Its not what they came with though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OneSlow92EGSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure who Toyota is using. Haven't pulled apart too many, so it must be pretty good also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the earlier ones were Bosch, Dad replaced a couple in his tacoma and they look like NTK to me.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions/suggestions on parts replacements. (Vindicator9000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vindicator9000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So: why do you think you need all of this? I can understand plugs/wires/timing belt/water pump, but do you have a CEL or other symptoms that indicate a bad O2 or alternator? What's it doing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I figured out how to decode my car's engine codes when I first got it, and pretty much narrowed it down to a faulty O2 sensor (hopefully). It was showing code 43 which was something to do with the fuel supply being faulty/malfunctioning. It's spewing a lot more black stuff out of the exhaust, which a few people agreed on being because it's running too rich and most often, code 43 is the O2 sensor.

As far as the alternator, I went to Auto Zone to have them run their free alternator test, and the amps or volts or whatever they measured (I forget currently) were running way higher than they should be for the car. It's making weird screeching\squealing noises sporadically, and shaking here and there. So I figured that I could replace the alternator anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine's a 93 EX with a 95 SI D16 in it. I had read around a bit too, and had pretty much determined to go with NGK for my plugs and wires, so I'm glad we all agree there. Just wanted to make sure and get other opinions.

I've already got my OEM timing belt and water pump from Majestic Honda on the way here, and am probably heading to Auto Zone for the new alternator today.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'm from the Accord forum just wanted to see some Honda Civic issue. First off Timing Belt and Water pump does not cost $200.

Go to this website:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

You can buy timing belt, water pump, seals, gaskets, etc for discounted prices. They are genuine Honda Parts.