Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

no horn

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no horn

Took the cable reel out, checked the wires and connections, cleaned the contacts but no luck. There is no juice reaching the horn. I am going to check the harness. Horn fuse is good. Nothing seems broken with the cable reel. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: no horn (vrrodri)

well if you checked the horn fuse under the hood (the one with the brake lights) then i would suggest looking at the horn itself on your radiator support and checking to see if wires are attached and all that
Old 09-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they are attached...and there is no power going to the horn when I depress the horn switch...
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: (vrrodri)

Check for continuity throughout the circuit from the switches to the horn. Did you check to see if there was anything going to the horn?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, there is no voltage reaching the horn when I depress the switch. I took the cable reel housing out with the ABS pack to check the wires, they all seem fine. I cleaned the contacts where the horn buttons make contact and still nothing. The horn is attached to the connector. I checked the wiring but could not find anything wrong. Is the cable reel the problem?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: no horn (vrrodri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mckrank313 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you checked the horn fuse under the hood (the one with the brake lights) then i would suggest looking at the horn itself on your radiator support and checking to see if wires are attached and all that</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by excivicboy96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check for continuity throughout the circuit from the switches to the horn. Did you check to see if there was anything going to the horn?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vrrodri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, there is no voltage reaching the horn when I depress the switch. I took the cable reel housing out with the ABS pack to check the wires, they all seem fine. I cleaned the contacts where the horn buttons make contact and still nothing. The horn is attached to the connector. I checked the wiring but could not find anything wrong. Is the cable reel the problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

here let me help you guys out. you can do all the cleaning and voltage checking you want. it's still won't work. because the OP removed the cable reel the horn is now inactive. when you remove the cable reel it has to be put back exactly the way it was removed. since it wasn't done that way, it has lost connection with the horn and now won't work.

OP, you need a new cable reel. it's expensive at the dealer, so start searching the yards.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 PM
MDM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no horn (philosofy1)

no pito???
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was NOT working BEFORE I took the cable reel out. And I did not dissassembled the cable reel, just ensured that all the wires were in place for the horn switch and checked for corrosion. I never even pulled the cable reel out, just checked the wiring with it still in position, maybe it had already gone bad??
Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vrrodri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was NOT working BEFORE I took the cable reel out. And I did not dissassembled the cable reel, just ensured that all the wires were in place for the horn switch and checked for corrosion. I never even pulled the cable reel out, just checked the wiring with it still in position, maybe it had already gone bad??</TD></TR></TABLE>

you didn't have to dissassembe the reel for it to loose the connection. it doesn't take much, it is very delicate. you can always replace the actual horn itself, but if that doesn't work, then chances are the reel is damaged.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe it is the reel and hence why I also cannot reset my ABS light! Anyone has a guide on how to replace the reel safely without messing the Air bag?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vrrodri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe it is the reel and hence why I also cannot reset my ABS light! Anyone has a guide on how to replace the reel safely without messing the Air bag?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its definitley your cable reel, ive repaced mine three times and the third one went bad, i even followed the instructions everytime... im so frustrated im considering doing an aftermarket steering wheel.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey can you send me some info on how to replace it safely? I do not want the Air bag pack to go off on me! Also, where did you get the best price and what exactly should I avoid in handling the new one to avoid it going bad?
Thanks man
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
* B A N N E D *

http://www.hondaworld.ru/manua...5.htm
Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

instructions are fine but the diagrams are hard, anyone has pics of the cable reel and air bag connectors? I cannot make sense of the "short connector" all I see is everything is already connected so what the *** is this thing I am supossed to connect the airbag connector to when I remove it??
Old 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, reason I cannot find it is because apparently the previous owner kept it or someone stole it. I have no connector attached to the cover....
Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey folks, It was the cable reel!!!
I got a new one and now the horn works and the ABS light reset just fine!!!!
Thanks