Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to honda, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to honda, have some questions.

I'm only 20 and have been into rx-7's, DSM's, and subaru's since I started paying attention to cars at a younger age.

I currently own a 98' 2.5RS subaru impreza with the following mods, and am prepping it for STS class in auto-X.

STi V.6 front bumper
Intake modifications
2.5inch catback exhaust w. magniflow mufler
tein type ha coilovers with pillow ball mount camber plates

and I have many small mods I'm going to perform. This is my first post so I thought I would give a little background...

I haven't payed much attention to honda's but am looking at doing a project car now as a weekend car and track car for the new road course they are building in my area.

I would like to build up a completely stripped 92-95 civic hatchback with the following mods:

completely stripped car
coilovers, swaybar kit, solid bushings, strut braces
16x7.5 inch wheels and fitting tires (205-215 in size)
CF hood, maybe lexon windows
battery relocated to back
2xsolid racing seats
LSD
new large disk brakes all around.
no AC, and probably no power stearing? (I dont think its nessary on a non-daily driver, and on such a lightweight car)

for the drivetrain, I have done much research into engine tuning. I have pulled many resources into the equation, and all of the resources agree with each other (such as books on the mathmatics of engines by a few different phd's on the subject)

I cant recall the engine code off the top of my head, but i would use a totally rebuilt j-spec 1.6L SiR engine@170hp stock, but with my tuning calculations for an engine that consists of new internals (13:1 compression) and valvetrain good for 10K rpms with a custom port job, cams, headers, and intake manifold. In simulation I could make 240hp (crank) with a powerband plently long for the gear ratios of the stock tranny for that engine. All this I would use an electromotive TEC-II ECU to controll (it replaces the ignition & could be able to control the vtec solinoid as well). I am totally convinced of the TEC-II's capabilities, and a 13:1 compression ratio could be tuned well on pump gas.

240hp might sound like a big number for a 1.6L engine, but this is going to be an occational driver and track car. Tuning a system together (cams, intake manifold, headers) results in those kind of hp numbers.

The problem is that I haven't looked at the specifics in doing this yet, the work required, the best part X to do X job (such as cheep injectors that will be able to do 240hp@ under a 85% duty cycle), or a high resolution crank triger.

I just thought I would throw this comment out there, and see what you guys have to say.

regards.

Old 12-09-2001, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to honda, have some questions. (copec)

What simulation program were you using?

240hp out of a 2nd gen b16a? Hmmm....I don't know about that.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:24 PM

Well, but me and my father have been getting seriously into engine design. The current software we are using:

"Design and Simulation of 4 Stroke Engines", by Dr. Gordon Blair obtained from SAE for $800, it can only simulate single cylinders at a time, and when only doing a cylinder at a time the hp only adds up to about ~230hp. But we figure about 10 more hp would be obtained from the shared plenium chamber, as it accounts for much of the intake manifolds tuning.

The full version of the program is about ~16K dollars (per year, to 'lease' it) and is used by F1 teams, touring car racing teams, cart, nascar and many other racers.

Touring car racing uses 4 cylinder 2.0L engines, and they are pulling about 310hp crank now. a 1.6L engine would have an even higher volumetric efficiency. 1.6L is 80% the displacement of 2.0L equaling ~248hp. So with a properly tuned entire engine, so i believe 240 is a realistic number.

oh, that 240hp is at about ~9K rpms, so the engine would have to be built right to be dependable...thats my plan though, new internals and valvetrain modifications.

[Modified by copec, 12:55 AM 12/10/2001]
Old 12-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a damn nice program!

I think it is possible, but you will need a deep pocket.

check out http://www.importreview.com for some built up and dynoed Honda engines. If you do some digging you can find alot of info there.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I envy you and your subaru. I almost got a 2.5RS last year.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:59 PM

thanks you guys, I like this forum, there seams to be alot of knowadgable people on it.

Old 12-09-2001, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hum ... if u are doing a all out track car ...

why dont u just get a 1.8L... B18C1 or B18C5 .... C5 puts out 190 ish stock .. just a better starting point ...

base on what u said
2.0L = 310
1.6L = 248
then 1.8L should = 279 ....

besides the weight difference is not that big ....

anyways .. welcome ... and update us on the build up ... good luck ...

i love RX-7 and impreaza .... but too expensive for me to get ...
maybe i could afford TS .. but they stop the sedan version ..
only wagon TS now ...

[Modified by BAR-F1, 4:06 AM 12/10/2001]
Old 12-09-2001, 08:00 PM

I will consider it when time comes to purchase the engine, I am actually on a budget since I am a college student (basically I got my RS at a little over half price, and have gotton good deals on every mod for it).

For the 1.6L engine, it was my understanding they were the best bang for the buck, since I'm building my own custom headers, intake manifold, porting it myself, and have custom cams ground. Plus I'm going to have shop with unlimited time to work on it. The most costly parts are probably going to be the pistons/rods/valvetrain components to reach the rpm range I'm looking for. I haven't shopped around yet for anything but engines.

If you guys know good places with good deals on engines, please let me know. I am just begining the shopping around. I need to shop around for the internals/valvetrain as well. I believe I will be able to get the ECU on a discount as well.

regards.
Old 12-09-2001, 08:03 PM

oh, I'm actually considering just a little of selling the RS until I finish this project. Then trying to find a used wrx a little later. That would open up my budget significantly as well.....
Old 12-09-2001, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn .. i wish i get deals like that ....
2 bad ... gotta start searching ....

1.6L i think can be rev higher ... heck spoon civic are know to rev past 10k and beyond ... but are those bore up 1.6 to 1.8 .. i dont know ....
someone help me out on that one ....

Old 12-10-2001, 12:10 AM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: New to honda, have some questions. (BAR-F1)

Just because it can rev, doesn't mean you'll get more HP from it.

Look around, LIP, who is a member here, has a fully built B18C engine (1.8l) and it's putting down about 240.

Deep pockets is a must if you want 240 out of a 1.6l

Good luck on your efforts.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:57 AM

Default Re: New to honda, have some questions. (B18C-EJ1)

It is true that revs wont equal hp, but I am designing the cams/headers/intake manifold to be tuned in that rpm range. Which in fact is the only way a naturally aspirated engine is going to make 240hp out of a 1.6L, a properly tuned engine that by my calculations needs at least 8-9K rpms to make that much hp. 11K rpms is my goal max with 10K rpms as my redline.

regards.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to honda, have some questions. (B18C-EJ1)

Just because it can rev, doesn't mean you'll get more HP from it.
i know i know ....

look at my above post .. i suggest a B18 ..
but he doesn't want one ...

that his decision ....

[Modified by BAR-F1, 11:22 PM 12/10/2001]