Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to the honda brand, swapped del sol

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the honda brand, swapped del sol

Hi, names Justin. Iv never owned a Honda before, not gonna lie. Always loved them for dailies, always thought they were stupid to try to make fast.

Threw me getting alot of tickets on my bike, and really needing a car, I ended up trading for a 1995 Honda Del Sol Si with a full H23 swap.

Since getting it, I've found quite a few problems.

First: The idle was surging from 1200 to 3000 rpms. We replaced every vacuum line we saw on the intake mani, and switched a few around, and now it idles normally, but will mess up from time to time (randomly surge once or twice, or just barely idle and die)

Heres what I know: I took off the IACV and completely sprayed it out with brake cleaner for quite a while, then let it air dry. It didn't help much. The egr valve is bolted on, but is not wired/plugged in, and the metal vacuum fitting is pinched with no line attached.
  • Does anyone have good vacuum line diagrams for an H23?
  • Can I just throw an EGR blockoff plate on with no problems? Would I need to do anything?
  • The exhaust is super loud because the cat is straight up missing. Smarter to get a test pipe, or just go header + full 2.5 custom off the bat? I know the engine has to be struggling with the tiny exhaust.
  • What are the best beginning mods for an h23? Is the h22 vtec head swap really worth it? This is my daily but I love tinkering on cars.
Also, the car came with a blue venom intake manifold. Should I put it back on? Or just sell and use money for other mods?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"greeting, insult, question"

trade your sol to someone that will appreciate it - my advice

and buy something domestic
Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM
owa

^^ what he said
Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why r u trying to make him get rid of his car? i garentee at one point you both were the same way and didnt know anything about hondas but u still owned one. hes asking for help and you guys giving negitive answers isnt going to help. its not like hes saying he wants 800hp and hes only got $1500. help the kid out
Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u should get a 2.5 cat back with a high flow cat so you can pass emissions if your state has it. wen your car is runing spray brake clean around the intake where it bolts to the head and where the throttle body bolts to the intake and if it starts to idle fine theres your problem. if that doesnt fix it wen its idleing out of place unplug for iacv and if it idles fine the iacv is your problem maybe you didnt clean it good enough
Old 11-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont pay any attention to people like that, there probally rolling around with a sohc motor on intake and exhaust and think there the ****. anyway congrats on your buy and although I can be a whole lot of help cause I mainly work on bseries motors I will through some thing out there. as far as blocking off the egr port there shouldnt be any problems as long as its not a electronic egr and if you have a obd2 ecu. of course if you do then you will get a check engine light. if you dont then blocking it would be fine but may cause high NOX and would also cause you to fail a tailpipe emission reading. as far as the surging is concerned, I dont know if that motor comes with a fitv or not but it is on the bottom of the tb and could also be a cause. if not then I would try and get your hands on a smoke machine and find any leaks possible. if that dosent help then try to switch out a known good IAC. Depending on where you are going with the motor and future plans would probally determine if you should keep the manifold or not but another thing is if you do decide to go to a vtec head then you need to find out if it fits that head. Larger exhaust would help alot but be aware that it will get louder if you dont put a resonator in there so be perpared for that as well. Well good luck and hope you post pics up of the motor.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wh-4Ll8Ai4

if that doesnt inspire you...then i dont know what will, but that is one sic del sol!
my brother and i are building up his del sol, they're a fun build!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Sorry guys, I kinda forgot to point out that I do in fact like the car. Iv always liked hondas. They are reliable as HELL and get great gas mileage. Iv always wanted one, I just think they are retarded when you try to make them fast. BUT, a small hatch or this del sol would be worth it as its so light.

The car is very fun. I'll be keeping it for a long time.

As requested, I took some engine pics.

It does have the electronic EGR. I live in Nebraska, so we have no emissions laws whatsoever. You just hand them insurance, the title, and cash, and you get plates. Its nice. So if throwing egr blockoffs won't affect the tune much and will help, ill get some.

Ill go do the brake clean trick here in a second. As we speak im buying some "Ebay special 4-2-1 stainless steel headers" and some random muffler too. I know a guy who will weld up exhaust all the way back for cheap (not that it'll need much piping lol).

The thing is, it idles fine for awhile, then sometimes the idle will dip a few times. Does anyone have a link to a TRSM for a Del Sol? I want to see if I have the vacuum lines messed up.

Also, it came with that venom intake mani. Should I throw it on or just sell it?

Last edited by Burntz; 11-23-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Just purchased those, don't make fun :/ lol. I'm on a tight budget.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM

bump
Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 PM

bump!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM

You Pick this up from NESS Didnt ya? its a good lookin car.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:34 PM

lol yea actually I did. Its got its ups and downs but by next spring it'll be looking ALOT better