Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Needing Help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Help....

Ok...I have an interesting little swap done to my civic. I have a 99 Civic Si, with a 94 JapSpec B18C. With this swap of course is an OBD II to OBD I conversion. Well, a couple of things I need to figure out. First off, which would be the better way to do this? Should I make it all OBD II or all OBD I. Both ways will cost a little money, just in two different ways. And another thing, VERY rarely my car throws a check engine light. But tonight it was completely different. Usually I can just cut the car off, wait a second and start the car again and the light is gone and my car is running fine. However, tonight was a different story. I was driving and she started acting all sputtery and acting like she was flooding out. So I stopped at our oh so not wonderful 24 Hour AutoZone to utilize the parking lot lights. Before cutting the car off I fooled around witht eh ECU. I've come to find I have a short somewhere in some of the wires because anytime I have someone sitting in the front seat, the can cut my car off if they move their feet wrong and hit wires. So I checked to see if wires were touching. Nope. Nothing changed when I was fooling with the wires. So I popped the hood and was looking to see if for some reason sensors had come loose. Nope. Nothing. So I decided to cut the car off and see if that would make a difference. Well it did. For a second. And then as was trying to drive home and I was babying her, the CEL cut on, and then would cut off and then cut back on. Not so much in a flashing sense, just in this spuratic way. It has NEVER done anything like this before. If anyone has any suggestions besides a different swap, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Christina
Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: Needing Help.... (SiGSRGirlie)

If you know there is nothing wrong in your wiring then I would assume it is your ECU. Maybe change yours out with a friends to see if it gets you and different results. If you do attempt to pull codes from it, which codes do you get. I think it is something in your wiring, due to the flickering you described.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Needing Help.... (INVALID)

Well, I've pulled the ECU out and checked all the pins and plugs. Everything is good. Pulled the cover off and looked inside and it looks brand new. I plan on checking the wires and making sure no wires are broken or anything of the sort. I'll solder what I need to and then pray it all works better. Hehehe. Unfortunately, I don't have a friend that has an ECU I can borrow. So, I don't have that as an option. So..that sucks for me.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 PM

which ecu are you running??
also you have the conv harness in right??
if you want to run the obdII ecu you have to add a couple of sensors and misc hoses..
*that's a biatch though*
sounds like you have to get codes if possible.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: (stevenlo)

I'm running the GSR OBDI P72. The harness only goes in one way. And yes, I have it in the right way. I talked to a Honda mechanic today and he gave me a couple of ideas that I will try tomorrow, since it is raining today. I don't like playing with electrical things in the rain. Not a forte of mine.