Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some advice on wheather to get a new car or an engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on wheather to get a new car or an engine swap.

When i got my first love 4 years ago, (98 civic ex) she was equip with a CAI, and a couple week ago when i was driving home from work at night in a really bad storm, she hydrolocked. Took it to the mechanic and he said that i've probaly bent some rods, and told me that i'm better off getting a new engine.

I called my insurance up, and they said they'll cover it since it's weather related, but i'll have to wait until the adjuster came and looked at it. So i called them back up a couple days later and they said my car is a total loss. ( i don't know if it's also because i took the front bumper off and i'm still fixing the qaurter panel or what)

So during my waiting period, i was looking up engines and i found a 95 stock gsr for $1,600 and a jdm b16 with many bolt on aftermarket parts for $2,000.

I don't know how much i'm getting back from the insurance company yet, but i'm debating on wheather i should get a new car (everyone i know is telling me too), or buy my car back from the insurance company and swap in an engine. If i do buy my car back i'm also debating on which engine i should get.

Any helpful advice would be great, others will be laugh at.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Need some advice on wheather to get a new car or an engine swap. (halocore)

Just how good is the body and interior? how much is the insurance company going to give you, and how much will it cost to buy the car back? you need to know all of this before you can make any sort of informed descion. if you can get the car back for next to nothing and you can get an engine swap for around $2000 i'd probably say go for it if the rest of the cars in good shape, if not probably not.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some advice on wheather to get a new car or an engine swap. (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just how good is the body and interior? how much is the insurance company going to give you, and how much will it cost to buy the car back? you need to know all of this before you can make any sort of informed descion. if you can get the car back for next to nothing and you can get an engine swap for around $2000 i'd probably say go for it if the rest of the cars in good shape, if not probably not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got to agree. It all depends on those factors and whatnot.