Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help!!!- Trouble Code 0= ECU. . . how to know if its 0

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!!- Trouble Code 0= ECU. . . how to know if its 0

i purchased a 94 cx w/ b16a in it. . .i got the car for cheap cuz it wouldnt start and i ran a jumper wire in the obd1 plug and when i turn the key to the on position the check engine light comes on like it is goin to start the dtc test but then the light just stays on so does that mean that would be code 0???

when the jumper wire is out of the obd1 plug and i put the key in the on position the dash runs the mil test and the check engine light goes off.

thanks for any help!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Default Re: Need Help!!!- Trouble Code 0= ECU. . . how to know if its 0 (Egezzy)

anyone?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:57 AM

no doing the jumper thing is not a good way to found out, i would get a diagostic tool to check it the right way, of course the cel might be on because it has a swap in it that common. if doesnt want to crank over you/or start you need to check the possiable "trouble shooting" i suggest buying a haynes manual.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Default Re: (honda_civic1)

the check engine light doesnt stay on as i stated before so. . . and with that said i dont really have access to an obd1 scan tool. . . anyone else???
Old 05-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it like...actually on when the car is on...like running and such.....?? It sounds like you don't have any codes....
Old 05-06-2006, 05:29 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda_civic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no doing the jumper thing is not a good way to found out, i would get a diagostic tool to check it the right way, of course the cel might be on because it has a swap in it that common. if doesnt want to crank over you/or start you need to check the possiable "trouble shooting" i suggest buying a haynes manual. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The jumper thing works fine. Its a waste of time and money to try and find an OBD1 scanner for a Honda.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Egezzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i purchased a 94 cx w/ b16a in it. . .i got the car for cheap cuz it wouldnt start and i ran a jumper wire in the obd1 plug and when i turn the key to the on position the check engine light comes on like it is goin to start the dtc test but then the light just stays on so does that mean that would be code 0???

when the jumper wire is out of the obd1 plug and i put the key in the on position the dash runs the mil test and the check engine light goes off.

thanks for any help!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

And can you tell me WHY your jumping the plug? If you leave that jumper in and start the car, the CEL will stay ON... this mode is useful to check/set ignition timing. Your setup sounds fine to me.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:35 AM

its a waste of money? there only like 50 bucks or so at your local auto zone, i was just saying these because its better to plug up and get all the codes on the scanner, then jumping the wire plug, counting the blinks and looking it up in a book! saves time and effort that all.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the cheap-o crap OBD2 scanners are $50
OBD1 scanners are difficult to find outside honda service bay or really serious mechanics tool box.

Service Jumper not installed = no CEL
Service Jumper installed = solid CEL
sounds like normal operation with no DTCs to me.

what does the car do? (it doesn't start) does it turn over? does it try to run? does it have spark? does it have fuel?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Service Jumper not installed = no CEL
Service Jumper installed = solid CEL
sounds like normal operation with no DTCs to me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
X2
Old 08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help!!!- Trouble Code 0= ECU. . . how to know if its 0

wow you call yourselves tunres. what he is saying is that when he turns the car to the on position the cel stays on instead of purging the fuel system then shuting off after about 2 seconds. then when he installs the jumper still a constant cel with no blink. any real tech knows this to be a problem with either the main relay, ignition switch, ecu or shorted wiring. good luck im trying to get the same thing fixed on my friends lude
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shirecain
wow you call yourselves tunres. what he is saying is that when he turns the car to the on position the cel stays on instead of purging the fuel system then shuting off after about 2 seconds. then when he installs the jumper still a constant cel with no blink. any real tech knows this to be a problem with either the main relay, ignition switch, ecu or shorted wiring. good luck im trying to get the same thing fixed on my friends lude
what are tunres? what the OP explained is exactly what Relic1 said, he has no trouble codes. his problem lies elsewhere..
Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Code 0 is indicated when the CEL remains on steady both with and without the 2P service connector jumped (=problem with ECU power or ground).

For the OP, the CEL turns off with the key on, so there are no CEL codes and the ECU is not detecting any problems (=normal).
Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Spongebrad Squarepants

wow. back from the dead.

the car at the time actually had a bad ignitor so the car wouldnt start plus the condition above. with it being my first swapped car i kind of freaked about the cel being on. once i replaced the ignitor the car ran perfect expect for a bad iacv idle. lol.