Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help with Speed sensor..Changing trans fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Speed sensor..Changing trans fluid.

B16A2 /w Cable Transmission

OK, I am TRYING to change my transmission fluid... AGAIN ! My damn filler bolt wouldnt come off last time so I decided to do it throught he speed sensor thing on the tranny.

I took off the 2 short 10MM bolts and the one long one. Then I pulled up on the sensor and this is what I have now:

Not shown in the pic is this piece that was still in the transmission, I gently pulled it and it came out.

Now, it looks like there are still some pieces in the transmission where I am told to fill it up at, I am not sure. never done it this way.... Never changed trans. fluid at all actually.

Do I just start pouring (With a funnel and tube of course) or do I need to remove more?

TIA !
Old 02-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

Put everything back together. You only need to remove the one differently shaped bolt and then pull up. That's why you still had pieces, you actually took it apart instead of unbolting. If you unbolt just the differently shaped one you notice the plug will freely move, then pull up after getting a good grip under one of the metal pieces.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Need help with Speed sensor..Changing trans fluid. (EG_Civic_Si)

uless you know exactly how much goes in there, you need the filler bolt out so you can see when it starts pouring out. with it in you may fill past the filler bolt.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id give the filler bolt another try. I am not sure how much fluid goes into the tranny. It's right at about two quarts I think, but i've always done it with the filler bolt out. You could pop the driver side axle out and use that as the filling point, since it sits along next to the filler bolt and just top it off alittle through the speed sensor after you pop the axle back in. I couldn't think of any other way, unless you can find out exactly how much fluid to put inside.

Oh and don't lose that pin inside your speed sensor, you'll need that.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with Speed sensor..Changing trans fluid. (EG_Civic_Si)

its a pain in the butt to get that sensor out, best thing to do is start twisting i guess you can say. try to grab the base of it with something to get it started then when it feels like it is loosening up grab the top, visegrips work good, and pull it straight out. remember dont break it.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: (hondafan62269)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondafan62269 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Id give the filler bolt another try. I am not sure how much fluid goes into the tranny. It's right at about two quarts I think, but i've always done it with the filler bolt out. You could pop the driver side axle out and use that as the filling point, since it sits along next to the filler bolt and just top it off alittle through the speed sensor after you pop the axle back in. I couldn't think of any other way, unless you can find out exactly how much fluid to put inside.

Oh and don't lose that pin inside your speed sensor, you'll need that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm trying to understand why you're telling him to do opposite what he's already doing and add even more work. The answer was within the first two replies, there isn't anything else that needs to be done.

There isn't a need for visegrips either, you unplug it, turn and pull up.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: (INVALID)

I got it.. thanks for the help !