Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

In need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In need of advice

Total noob here... Im just looking for a little advice from people who have been there done that... type deal. I just got my second civic, this one is a b16 civic eg with all the bolt-ons. My question is this..... I have run out of simple mods, the next step for me would be either pick a n/a route or go turbo or... be happy with what ya got and save a pile of cash. looking back on what you guys have done with your cars would you do it again? Is all the time money and effort worth it? My car rips quite well as is.... but i know there is a lot more potential. any words of advice would help thanks....
Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: In need of advice

hmm...I guess it depends on your mindset and where you plan on going with this project down the line, I guess if you figure that out first, what to do next might come naturally. As for me, I always toyed with the idea of boosting my b16 in my EK hatch, don't have the money right now...hahahah, but yea I mean figure out what you plan with the car, if you plan on keeping it, I say boost it and learn a whole new side of cars, it'll be a good learning experience. GOod luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A B16 isn't a fast motor. Just like a D-series, if you want it fast, you need boost.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not as easy as just putting a turbo on your car.. now your talking alot more maintnence and alot more money.. why dont you start learning hondas by building your motor and in the long run if thats still not enough for you boost it and your motor will be ready to hold it
Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMtegg19
why dont you start learning hondas by building your motor and in the long run if thats still not enough for you boost it and your motor will be ready to hold it
I'm sorry but that's terrible advice.

You are telling him to build a naturally aspirated 1.6L engine, and then telling him to boost when it's not enough. I will be the first one to tell you he won't be satisfied, and then when it comes time for boosting it, he will need to rebuild it AGAIN because the compression is too high to support proper boost.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had it all from mild to wild, once you go boost you never go back..
if money is your only concern take time and pick up the parts you need slowly.
you can find partial turbo kits here for decent prices. intercooler piping can be found on ebay for dirt cheap and with the flange you need for your bov.
the place your going to spend the most money is your turbo& engine management.
The most important thing is to have a good daily driver, at the start turbo car requires a lil more attention once you know what to look for its same maintance as any other car. i turbo'd my stock b16 it was fast and had a nice power band, I didnt want to pay someone to tune it everytime i tweaked a part so i self taught myself how to tune on the motor. the ringlands cracked so i had to pull it out. im bigger turbo, self tune & loving it!
the bad about turbo is that more power is only a few clicks away on the boost controller, and like everyone else i have become addicted. so then its bigger better parts.
but if your a modest fellow get a kit have a pro tune it and you will be happy.. but from your post we both know thats not you. Go turbo become a Boost Junkie like the rest of us and we will welcome you with open arms to the darkside....
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM

be happy with what you got. a b16 eg. just chill on that and save your cash until you can afford a sick b18c or k20, then you can swap motors and turbo something that's worth turbo-ing. don't waste money on a kit now, instead just enjoy a mellow, low maintenance vehicle while you got one.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will go the turbo route. I am going to do it slow and take my time and do it right. I have alot of homework to do i guess..... I am stoked to find a community of people that love this as much as i do. Now it's just time to learn....
Old 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost is only as good as the environment.

if you have a shitty atmosphere, why waste ur time.

Humid/hot climates arent good for turbo cars.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just like most of these guys said, once you go boost you wont go back. It will hook you the first time, as long as you do it right. Take your time, dont rush and get quality parts or you will be rebuilding your motor as myself and so many others have done! Dont be affraid to ask questions about turbo systems either because there is so much to learn and others have been right where you are. Good luck
Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do admit, it is VERY addicting. I took off and put back on my kit atleast 5 times.

i got A.D.D.