Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Going rate for b16 swaped Ek/EG hatchs and a few other dozens questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going rate for b16 swaped Ek/EG hatchs and a few other dozens questions.

Search was used.

Question 1.

First off. What is the going rate for a nicely done B16 swap on an EG hatch and EK Hatch? I'm looking for something with some spunk (hence B16), and I don't need that much power (hence I don't really need a B18 or H22 or anything).

I'm guessing ~5,000 for an EG and 7,500 for an EK? Unrealistic? I wouldn't want a botched attempt or some hack job, no rust either. The reason I'm not considering doing it my self is I simply don’t have the type, space, tools or experience. I've read roughly only 1 out of 4 attempted swaps workout, I don't want to be one of those 3 which don't.

Question 2.

I've seen DVD Navigation units for the EK civic for sale at good prices. I was wondering if anyone knows if a special adaptor is needed to install it or if it is fairly straight forward. Also, I don't know how Navi units work, but can they read any DVD Navi disk or only ones make for that unit? Will the Unit work with an English disk? I live in the Midwest, so, for example, my buddy has a Toureg with nav, will his Midwest disk work in the unit or not? Any insight would be great.

Question 3.

Which would you take an Ek or EG? I seem to like the EG's style more, but I feel the EK will be a safer car and one with less problems (being 5-9 years old as apposed to 13).

If I was to get an EG I would slowly build toward a SIR wannable with some interior and exterior enhancements, nothing insane. Sport buckets cheap rims so forth, just a clean nice hatch.

Ek I would go a similar route; however I think the DVD Navi unit would be helpful and unique. Sport-bucket seats again.

Powerfolding mirrors will be a must for either, I need/want them really bad!

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Going rate for b16 swaped Ek/EG hatchs and a few other dozens questions. (Corbic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Corbic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search was used.

Question 1.

First off. What is the going rate for a nicely done B16 swap on an EG hatch and EK Hatch? I'm looking for something with some spunk (hence B16), and I don't need that much power (hence I don't really need a B18 or H22 or anything).

I'm guessing ~5,000 for an EG and 7,500 for an EK? Unrealistic? I wouldn't want a botched attempt or some hack job, no rust either. The reason I'm not considering doing it my self is I simply don’t have the type, space, tools or experience. I've read roughly only 1 out of 4 attempted swaps workout, I don't want to be one of those 3 which don't.

Question 2.

I've seen DVD Navigation units for the EK civic for sale at good prices. I was wondering if anyone knows if a special adaptor is needed to install it or if it is fairly straight forward. Also, I don't know how Navi units work, but can they read any DVD Navi disk or only ones make for that unit? Will the Unit work with an English disk? I live in the Midwest, so, for example, my buddy has a Toureg with nav, will his Midwest disk work in the unit or not? Any insight would be great.

Question 3.

Which would you take an Ek or EG? I seem to like the EG's style more, but I feel the EK will be a safer car and one with less problems (being 5-9 years old as apposed to 13).

If I was to get an EG I would slowly build toward a SIR wannable with some interior and exterior enhancements, nothing insane. Sport buckets cheap rims so forth, just a clean nice hatch.

Ek I would go a similar route; however I think the DVD Navi unit would be helpful and unique. Sport-bucket seats again.

Powerfolding mirrors will be a must for either, I need/want them really bad!

Thanks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your saying price plus install? For a B16 in an EG or EK hatch, labor will run you around 1000$ at an experienced shop and only take a few hours to do. The reason "1 out of 4" swaps work without problems is because many people try to do them by themselfs and end up cutting corners and ghetto-rigging ****. The motor itself should run around 2500$ for a complete swap. So now your at 3500$ minus the car. I bought my 95 coupe with a blown motor for 1300$. Total is now around 4800$. Still pretty cheap.

As for the DVD Navi units in EK's, I dont believe these will work right here. You won't get radio stations and the unit probaly only takes JDM market navi discs, which im SURE dont cover the US. This would be good for looks only... or if you wanted to rig the screen as a monitor for a DVD player or something.

As for the EG vs EK thing, thats your own preference. Both are just as safe as each other I think. And if power folding mirrors are your only need, both can serve that purpose too.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Going rate for b16 swaped Ek/EG hatchs and a few other dozens questions. (JDM_Ej)

I was thinking of picking up someone else's car, what I would expect to pay for a car with a swap (I’ve seen a few in the classifieds).

I live in Indiana and I don't think it would be easy to find a shop that would be willing and competent enough to do the swap.