Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 08:33 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid?

Wondering if there is suppost to be fluid in the motor mounts. Recently, some sort of fluid has been spraying out onto the bottom of my hood over the driver side top motormount, powersteering area of the engine bay. The fluid is black and stains the bottom of my hood... it isn't oil or powersteering fluid. This is really confusing me... there seems to be no leaks either.... just every few days, there will be new sprays of this liquid under my hood. please help.

thanks in advance

Cliffnotes - Mysterious fluid spraying under hood in the general area of power steering and drivers side upper motor mount.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (ModlesSI)

yes
Old 06-20-2003, 08:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (drvfast)

Thanks, getting some mixed replies... can others verify? TIA
Old 06-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (ModlesSI)

Yes, it is filled w/ a fluid like you describe
Old 06-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (drvfast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drvfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes</TD></TR></TABLE>

that liquid can **** up ur paint as well leaves stains under the hood
Old 06-20-2003, 09:07 PM
New User

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (ArinX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArinX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that liquid can **** up ur paint as well leaves stains under the hood </TD></TR></TABLE>

And it has, hooray

Thanks for all the help

Lastly, how much do one of these motor mounts cost from Honda? Would Polyurethane Inserts suffice?
Old 06-20-2003, 09:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ModlesSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And it has, hooray

Thanks for all the help

Lastly, how much do one of these motor mounts cost from Honda? Would Polyurethane Inserts suffice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the stains, try some Simple Green. Let it soak in SG for a while then scrub it down with a brush and rinse with hose. Should clean it right up.

As for inserts, yes...if your mount was not torn. You my friend have a torn mount which means you will need to A) Get a stock mount from Honda or B) Get an aftermarket urethane mount.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (EKology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

B) Get an aftermarket urethane mount.</TD></TR></TABLE>

worth it
Old 06-20-2003, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (ArinX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArinX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

worth it </TD></TR></TABLE>definetely worth it if you can stand a BIG DIFFERENCE in vibration at idle. Outside the car it's not noticable, but inside you'll hear rattles which you never heard before. Place racing gets a for quality and price but a for fitment. Hasport gets a for quality and fitment but a for price. There are also a couple others out there. And a steel wool pad with some simple green works good for the stain. Get it fixed soon before your motor puts a hole in your hood.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (98Hatch00)

Thanks guys... problem after problem w/ this turbo =P
Old 12-05-2004, 11:31 AM

Hey, sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it in all the "motor mount" threads. How can you tell if you just need to replace the inserts, or the whole mount. Cuz I managed to find a curb and my front bumper found the wall, and now my mount is leaking REALLY bad. I am assuming I need to replace the entire thing, but I'm not sure cuz I dont know what caused it to break. I'm guessing the jolt of stopping so quick caused it, but again, I'm not sure. TIA.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ModlesSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys... problem after problem w/ this turbo =P </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're turbo, I definately wouldn't go back to a stock mount, move to an aftermarket, stronger one.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (rodrez.)

yeah, 96-00 Civic driver side mounts suck big time.

There are a few options for you....I believe Mugen makes a good replacement as well as HAsport
Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (EKautox)

hey, my bad, didn't mean to try and jack your thread, I'm trippin.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Motorhead

Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (EKautox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKautox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it in all the "motor mount" threads. How can you tell if you just need to replace the inserts, or the whole mount. Cuz I managed to find a curb and my front bumper found the wall, and now my mount is leaking REALLY bad. I am assuming I need to replace the entire thing, but I'm not sure cuz I dont know what caused it to break. I'm guessing the jolt of stopping so quick caused it, but again, I'm not sure. TIA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your stock mount isn't really designed to handle the torque loads your putting on it. An insert will give you quite a bit more strength without directing the amount of vibration to the dash/ frame & your kidneys that urethane mounts will.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Mysterious Fluid spraying.... do motor mounts contain fluid? (Motorhead)

I finally got around to doing two of the inserts this weekend (driver side upper and tranny upper, still gotta do the rear tranny) and WOW, is all I gotta say. Big difference in handling.

My old mounts, while not torn visually, were worn beyond belief.

But the vibration - holy moses, is it bad...only at idle though - cruising you can't really tell.

And here is where I picked mine up for cheaper than what HT sponsors seem to be able to do: http://www.suspension.com/prothane-civic.htm