Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid

Guys -- I generally maintain my 5th gen myself and just around 100k miles I gather it's time to do a PS fluid change. I am going to get genuine Honda fluid to do this, does anyone know how much I will have to buy to do the fluid change and if there's any easy tips on doing it ?

I do all the rest of the servicing / fluid changes , but have never done this yet.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power steering fluid (britishdude)

Honda fluid at autozone, that big bottle. need only one, or two of the small bottles. think your gonna need about 15oz. not 100% tho.

pull the return hose... engine on. turn wheel left to right till fluid reservoir is empty. then fill it, easy to do.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Power steering fluid (THC07)

Thx --- But do you have to stop air entering by filling the reservoir with new fluid at the same time as the old fluid comes out, like when you change brake fluid ?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by britishdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thx --- But do you have to stop air entering by filling the reservoir with new fluid at the same time as the old fluid comes out, like when you change brake fluid ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope...it simple. Have fun
Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do not turn your engine on when drained! the best way to do it is uses a turkey baster or something to pull the old stuff out pull the feed hose and return hose off the resivor and clean that out blow on on of the lines to get all the fluid out put the resivor back on and fill your will need 2 BOTTLES
Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Power steering fluid (kadidle)

Great --- Thanks guys for the advice and tips, will do this at weekend.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM

try the honda dealership..you should get at least 3 bottles
Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (89ludeguy)

Way to go only 3 months late with that one.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: (Acidcrakker)

how often should you change your power steering fluid. i asked my mechanic to do it and he said that honda didn't have a maintenance schedule for change out ps fluid. is it good for the life of the car?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Re: (businessmanph)

I change it when it looks dirty, no set schedule, as for how much... i went thru like 8 genuine honda bottles worth . Ill post the specific procedure later but if i remember correctly you drain it with the engine on while turning the wheels back and forth lock to lock (front end lifted helps a ton here) until no mor comes out then reattach return line to reservoir and refill while turning lock to lock to purge all bubbles.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (businessmanph)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by businessmanph &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how often should you change your power steering fluid. i asked my mechanic to do it and he said that honda didn't have a maintenance schedule for change out ps fluid. is it good for the life of the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im sure its better for the pump itself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kadidle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do not turn your engine on when drained! the best way to do it is uses a turkey baster or something to pull the old stuff out pull the feed hose and return hose off the resivor and clean that out blow on on of the lines to get all the fluid out put the resivor back on and fill your will need 2 BOTTLES</TD></TR></TABLE>

That will make a hell of a mess if not careful. If the pump is supplyed fluid it wont hurt anything, you just dont want to run the pump dry. Yes use a turkey baster to take everything out of the res. What you have to do is somehow cap the return hose enterance into the res. Then fill the res to the top. Now the return line will be off, get it so that when PS fluid comes out it wont get everywhere. Turn the car on and turn the wheel side to side until fresh fluid comes out of the return line. While doing that make sure the res is topped off. So you might need atleast two ppl to do this correctly and not make a hell of a mess. Then just pop the return hose back on. Do this quickly not to make a mess.