Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 97 Civic's Windshield wipers are retarded! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 97 Civic's Windshield wipers are retarded! Help!

Alright guys,

So it's been raining like crazy here in Seattle, and it has been coming down pretty hard. Throughout this time, I've had the wipers set to run at max speed. At one point, the rain stopped (typical Seattle weather....) so, I decided to turn them off...so I did.

But they didn't turn off, they just kept going, like it was set on the lowest setting. Alright, so it's an annoying problem, but it's one I can live with temporarily. But then as the time goes by, the drivers side wiper is moving slower and slower, dragging, until the passenger side wiper attacks it in a frenzy of metal and silicone edged rubber. The passenger side wiper basically starts twisting the drivers side wiper up, so it doesn't really cling to the windshield anymore, and the metal contacts the windshield and makes this nice little "arc" scratch....damn.

So I ask my buddy what to do, and I end up pulling the fuse, I can't have this going on.

But then it starts to come down again...hard. I put the fuse back in, and separate the two wipers by hand. The passenger side works fine, but the drivers is slow again, and eventually they get tangled up again....I'm blind on my drivers side, this is really unsafe!

I need help!

Cliffnotes:

-Wipers won't turn off, progressively gets worse and worse.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: My 97 Civic's Windshield wipers are retarded! Help! (Phrozen)

they are both locked in by a nut on the wiper check to see if that came loose?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 PM

The drivers side was loose, so I tightened it down. It still runs slow now and just hits the edge of the windshield, so there could be permanent damage to it I'm guessing...