Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ls vtec has spark and pump primes but only starts with starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls vtec has spark and pump primes but only starts with starter fluid

I just built my ls vtec motor its an obd1 motor so I had to change my wire harness I changed it and, mad my dizzy from obd2 2 obd1 and my alternator it turns over has fuel pumping and spark but still wont start now when I spary starting fluid it starts but bogs out as soon as I stop spraying wat could b the problem oh and I only changed the engine harness ive also checked my ecu and main relay eat could it b
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Ls vtec problems

Please email of any info or get at me on the post (blodro43@gmail.com
Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Ls vtec problems

Do the fuel injector connectors have battery voltage? Any CEL codes?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Ls vtec has spark and pump primes but only starts with starter fluid

Wat do u mean battery voltage
Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ls vtec has spark and pump primes but only starts with starter fluid

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/b-seri...sis-101-a.html
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know you can hear the pump priming but are you sure you actually have fuel pressure??
Reason I ask is I had a problem on my EG where I forgot to clip the filter sock back on properly and it fell off and anytime I would get below a half a tank the pump didnt actually prime and build pressure it would just turn on for the first few seconds when you turn the key...It would also occasionally die out on my after taking a hard left corner until the tank leveled out and it could pull gas back into the system again

Just something simple that may be worth checking
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KidEg8
Wat do u mean battery voltage
With the key in ON(II), the power wire for each injector connector should have the same voltage that you measure across the two battery posts.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Trial User

Ok my spark is orange yellow not white blue this could b cuz of my wireing cuz I did change my wriieng from obd 1 2 obd 2 mayb I got a wire crossed and as for the furl pressure and injectors I c dem.giving me signal cuz they r blinking but not sure of the voltage how do I check that and any wire diagrans to chane obd1 engine harness to obd2 big plug dizzy plug I.also had tajen out the filter in the injectors for the engine could get more fuel but figured day might b a problem so I put them bak but I put them how eva but mad sure they fell into place
Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok my spark is orange yellow not white blue this could b cuz of my wireing cuz I did change my wriieng from obd 1 2 obd 2 mayb I got a wire crossed and as for the furl pressure and injectors I c dem.giving me signal cuz they r blinking but not sure of the voltage how do I check that and any wire diagrans to chane obd1 engine harness to obd2 big plug dizzy plug I.also had tajen out the filter in the injectors for the engine could get more fuel but figured day might b a problem so I put them bak but I put them how eva but mad sure they fell into place
QUE????
Engrish please??

I tried reading your post 4 times and I still cant figure out WTF you were even attempting to say.

FWIW just a LITTLE bit of proper grammar goes a long way
Old 11-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just built my ls vtec motor its an obd1 motor so I had to change my wire harness I changed it and, mad my dizzy from obd2 2 obd1 and my alternator it turns over has fuel pumping and spark but still wont start now when I spary starting fluid it starts but bogs out as soon as I stop spraying wat could b the problem oh and I only changed the engine harness ive also checked my ecu and main relay eat could it b
Some punctuation would be nice too. I'll try to interperet...

KidEg8: "I just built my ls vtec motor"
Translation: "Good afternoon fellow Honda Civic enthusiasts. I recently completed a transplant of the engine in my automobile. I have a Civic LS which now has a V-Tec engine."

KidEg8: "its an obd1 motor so I had to change my wire harness"
Translation: "The engine I put into the vehicle had On Board Diagnostics version 1. This required me to convert the wiring to OBD2 as my vehicle was of the newer generation."

KidEg8: "I changed it and, mad my dizzy from obd2 2 obd1"
Translation: "I soldiered through the technical diagrams and managed to make the conversion."

KidEg8: "and my alternator"
Translation: "I also had to modify some wiring to make the alternator work correctly."

KidEg8: "it turns over has fuel pumping and spark but still wont start"
Translation: "When I turn the ignition key, the starter engages and spins the engine. The fuel pumps prime and generate adequate fuel pressure and the spark plugs are firing but the engine fails to start."

KidEg8: "now when I spary starting fluid it starts but bogs out as soon as I stop spraying"
Translation: "If I spray starter fluid into the intake manifold, the engine will fire temporarily. Once the starter spray ceases, the engine stalls again."

KidEg8: "wat could b the problem"
Translation: "Heavens to Betsy! I am stumped as to the cause of my engine woes. What could be causing the engine not to run properly?"

KidEg8: "oh and I only changed the engine harness"
Translation: "Perhaps I should mention that I used the engine harness from my original engine on the transplanted engine."

KidEg8: "ive also checked my ecu and main relay"
Translation: "I have checked my ECU and main relay for voltage and they seem to be receiving adequate current."

KidEg8: "eat could it b"
Translation: "Does anyone have any input as to how I can diagnose my problem?"

How'd I do KidEg8? Did I get your point across?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you verified that the injectors are opening? You can use a long handle screwdriver as a stethoscope. Touch the tip to the injector and put the handle to your ear and listen for clicking.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Trial User

Lol sorry working off a phone ok my spark is orange yellow I got a pik of how the wires r supposed 2 get connected ima try that and the injectors trick that the guy says im going to check my wires make sure its correct as for the injectors I c them giving me signal but ima try that trick
Old 11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Trial User

ok my spark is good now but i noticed that my injector r not letting out gas unless i ground dem out then the spit out gas
Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Trial User

and now when i try to start in wit starting fluid it letts out alot of compression from intake manifold and throttle body
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your ecu provides a ground to the injectors. Your not getting any codes?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Trial User

wat u mean codes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Trial User

ok i got some codes with the check engine light whigh was 6 blinks then a puase den 8 blinks then a puase then 1 blink held turned off then another one just like that then 2 blinks
Old 11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD1 Trouble Codes:

Code 0 and 11 Electronic Control Module (ECM)
Code1 Heated oxygen sensor A
Code 2 Oxygen content B
Code 3 and 5 Manifold Absolute Pressure
Code 4 Crank position sensor
Code 6 Engine coolant temperature
Code 7 Throttle position sensor
Code 8 Top dead center sensor
Code 9 No.1 cylinder position sensor
Code 10 Intake air temperature sensor
Code 12 Exhaust recirculation system
Code 13 Barometric pressure sensor
Code 14 Idle air control valve or bad ECM
Code 15 Ignition output signal
Code 16 Fuel Injector
Code 17 Vehicle speed sensor
Code 19 A/T lock-up control solenoid
Code 20 Electric load detector
Code 21 V-TEC control solenoid
Code 22 V-TEC pressure solenoid
Code 23 Knock sensor
Code 30 A/T FI signal A
Code 30 A/T FI signal B
Code 41 Heated oxygen sensor heater
Code 43 Fuel supply system
Code 45 Fuel supply metering
Code 48 Heated oxygen sensor
Code 61 Front heated oxygen sensor
Code 63 Rear heated oxygen sensor
Code 65 Rear heated oxygen sensor heater
Code 67 Catalytic converter system
Code 70 Automatic transaxle
Code 71 Misfire detected cylinder 1
Code 72 Misfire detected cylinder 2
Code 73 Misfire detected cylinder 3
Code 74 Misfire detected cylinder 4
Code 75 Misfire detected cylinder 5
Code 76 Misfire detected cylinder 6
Code 80 Exhaust recirculation system
Code 86 Coolant temperature
Code 92 Evaporative emission control system

Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Trial User

ok my codes r saying one thing but i have everything right on the dizzy connections my top dead center sensor on the dizzy is connected right atleasat i think from wat i googled i kno its connected good and i kno obd2 dosent take crank sensor so wat else could it b
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Trial User

and now car wont start with starting fluid since i connected to dizzy cables the way it says i actually get bakfire and its on timming